3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

mass air flow sensor/starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 05:53 PM

Exclamation mass air flow sensor/starting

i have a 1986 iroc z28 camaro with the tuned port 305...i went through diagnostics because my check engine light came on...i got a code 36....its air flow, so i changed all the relays and the light is still on...i dont want to pay 300 bucks for a new mass air flow but i guess i will have to...anyone know where i could get one for cheap?...also the radiator has been rodded out not long ago, new water pump, new fan, and the fluids are good, is my car supposed to run at 220?...i knew fuel injected engines ran hotter but i didnt think this hot...im thinking new thermostat..any info would be great...the starting problem is when it gets to 220 degrees and i drive it for like an hour plus, it wont start after i turn it off(after about 15-20 minutes it will) but i wanted to know if it is the computer not letting the engine start because the temp is too hott....thanks -travis
Old 08-20-2004, 08:23 PM

Re: mass air flow sensor/starting

get a 180* t stat (cooler= faster), check for any kinked hoses or anything else that would impede the coolant flow. don't get the 160* t- stat, you'll risk the engine running rich all the time.
Change the maf, and your problem with starting will be fixed. Take the screens out of the maf, and while you're at it gut the air boxes, and throw some K&N filters into the nose.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by stealthramman
get a 180* t stat (cooler= faster), check for any kinked hoses or anything else that would impede the coolant flow. don't get the 160* t- stat, you'll risk the engine running rich all the time.
Change the maf, and your problem with starting will be fixed. Take the screens out of the maf, and while you're at it gut the air boxes, and throw some K&N filters into the nose.
Way off the subject but did you ever get any times with the 355 and Stealth ram? As for $300 for the mas sensor, check out autozone first. They usually have good prices.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:32 PM

if you gotta get a new MAF sensor why not just get a hi performance one from jegs or something..jsut a thought...but i run a 160 degree stat and the engine still runs at 220+ when your pushin it somewhat hard....its just the design of the camaro's and not getting enough airflow...i would say your starter problem is because its getting heat soaked...which means its getting to hot for it to turn over the engine....once it cools down, it works fine...an easy fix is to bend up a heat shield or if your lazy, buy one...
Old 08-21-2004, 01:15 AM
Banned

I have never had heat soak and I have run headers for many years. Probably because the starter is changed at the first sign of trouble.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:10 AM

yea i know...its wierd how it happens to some cars, and others it doesn't bother....i have headers on mine with a header leak right by the starter, and the exhaust is blowing right on the starter, and my starter has never been heat soaked...but my buddy's gets heat soaked all the time...it gets to be a pain when you go riding in his car...
Old 08-23-2004, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by trwchevy
i have a 1986 iroc z28 camaro with the tuned port 305...i went through diagnostics because my check engine light came on...i got a code 36....its air flow, so i changed all the relays and the light is still on...i dont want to pay 300 bucks for a new mass air flow but i guess i will have to...anyone know where i could get one for cheap?...also the radiator has been rodded out not long ago, new water pump, new fan, and the fluids are good, is my car supposed to run at 220?...i knew fuel injected engines ran hotter but i didnt think this hot...im thinking new thermostat..any info would be great...the starting problem is when it gets to 220 degrees and i drive it for like an hour plus, it wont start after i turn it off(after about 15-20 minutes it will) but i wanted to know if it is the computer not letting the engine start because the temp is too hott....thanks -travis
No, The ECm isn't killing the starter due to overtemp (220° best for emissions.)

If you want the ECM to control the fan, or fans (if they're tied together) then, you need to have that parameter changed in the ECM. You can set the fan's on/off values separately. The second fan is controlled by a temp switch (220°)underneath #4 & 6 exhaust. There are aftermarket adjustable temp switches for the second fan.

I believe the ECM can only kill the starter if you have anti-theft.

As for the starting problem, it's either ignition i.e... system design (could be better,) or heat soak related.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Exclamation Re: mass air flow sensor/starting

Originally Posted by stealthramman
do not modify the MAF in ANY way.do not use k&n air filters on a MAF car (as per the k&n website warning) do not modify the air box the filters go into.... PERIOD. also check your temps with a infrared thermometer, you may find (as most of us do ) that your temp gauge is inaccurate.and lastly,, the thermostadt rating for a TPI car is 195 degrees ...for a reason. these are lessons learned the hard way.i hope this clears up some "mis information"