3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Low Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 09:18 PM

Low Pedal

I recently made a post about bleeding the clutch, well theres no bleeder on the slave or the master. So i just want to check with some other guys on here with 3rd gen's and 5speeds. The clutch is fairly new. When you step on the pedal, i can see the slave cylinder push the fork about an inch .. inch and a half on the clutch fork, which seems normal. The only problem is that, when the pedal is down.. as SOON as you start to lift your foot the clutch grabs, I've only driven a few standard vehicles in my time but all the others that i've driven.. the clutch normally starts to grab at half pedal. I realize I can't bleed the system, there is no fluid on the master or the slave so that rules out those being bad but what i DID notice is that there is a little fluid on the reseviour where the hose that connects to the clutch master cylinder is (behind the brake booster), and at the reservour. Which leads me to believe if fluid can get out, then air can get in? Anyone elses clutch like this? It's pretty annoying and sometimes feels as though the clutch isn't FULLY disengaged. I also have NOT noticed a loss in fluid, and when i step on the clutch pedal.. the fluid in the res. doesn't go down.. nor do i see bubbles when i let off... what the hells goin on?!
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:25 PM

You can bleed the system. Crawl under the car and unbolt the slave cylinder. Pull it down and pump the hell out of it for about 20 minutes. It's rough on the arms but it works.

Are you sure there's not a small allen-head bleeder plug on the top of the slave cylinder, right next to where the hose goes into it? The T5 slaves all had them.....it was the T56 that first got the sealed slave. Then again, the T5 and T56 slaves are interchangeable so maybe someone just used the wrong slave as a replacement.

Anyway....you said the slave is moving the fork about an inch? That's more than enough movement so I don't think air in the system is your problem. Does the clutch clatch on the way up at the same point that it releases on the way down? If it catches lower than it releases that indicates a pressure leak which means a bad piston seal in one of the 2 cylinders (usually the master.)

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 05-31-2004 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:06 PM

I didn't look for an allen head to be honest, I figured it would look like a caliper bleeder screw or a wheel cylinder bleeder. I will crawl under there and see if theres an allen head screw.

You said unbolt the slave and pump it... by hand? Or get in and pump the pedal? If i unbolt the slave and pump it, the rod won't push itself out?

And yes, the clutch catches at the same point going down as it does going up, i just wish it caught sooner.

Thanks again for the quick response!
-Mike
Old 05-31-2004, 10:56 PM

My clutch is band new and well right now it`s either on or off no inbetween, try waiting for a few days maybe the clutch just insent worn in yet???

My slave had no bleeder but my new one dose. my old slave puked for real all the guts where inside the boot instead of the slave lol. But the thing with mine is the petal is rock hard and it seems harder to shift and seems like it`s trying to grind the gears but the clutch and the slave is new. and have about 1Km on them
Old 05-31-2004, 11:01 PM

It could be the wrong throw-out bareing.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:03 PM

one more thing DO NOT PUMP THE CLUTCH WHEN IT`S UNBOLTED you WILL kill the slave, he means by hand.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:28 PM

Yes I mean by hand. If you pump the pedal with the slave off you'll break the retainer and blow the piston right out of the slave.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by TheGreatJ
Yes I mean by hand. If you pump the pedal with the slave off you'll break the retainer and blow the piston right out of the slave.
like I did , I found that out the hard way.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by TheGreatJ
Yep I did that too!

When my clutch was brand new it caught really low and it was crazy trying to drive it. But after a while it loosens up.