3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

L98's get no respect!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 08:17 PM

L98's get no respect!

I think there are just way too many trailer trash third gens out there. So I'm getting ready to swap in my L98, when my dad starts telling me about how much of a mistake it is. After i tell him i don't like how limited a 305 is, he tells me that it's never going to be something that'll wow at the track. And not even a week later, a mechanic tells me how much of a mistake it is that i just bought some ported and polished 083 heads, because they're dog heads no matter what with their "76 CC" combustion chambers. What's with these old school guys not wanting to listen to reason? O yeah, and if any of you know the exact math making an 083 head 64CC compared to the older 76CC, please enlighten me.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:30 PM

Re: L98's get no respect!

Originally posted by f-bodybuilder
I think there are just way too many trailer trash third gens out there.
No argument here! For those of us who are trying to make sweet, sharp-looking, "non-"Joe Dirt"-type cars, it gets a bit discouraging...

Originally posted by f-bodybuilder
O yeah, and if any of you know the exact math making an 083 head 64CC compared to the older 76CC, please enlighten me.
Heh - that one's too easy! Take a look here for an online compression ratio calculator...

Hope this helps!
Old 07-12-2004, 08:33 PM

too bad the article on a 11 sec 305 is on my other puter or id post it. you can do alot with a 305. right now i have one im swapping in 2 weeks. .30 bore, ported polished heads, 3 angle valve job, 480/480 lift cam headers and other stuff.
i cant wait to see the look on folks faces when they ask what im running when i tell them a 305 TPI!!
i also cant wait to show the folks that say " man i ripped that injected crap out first thing when i got my car" and show them what can be done with injection AND I DID IT WITH A 305!!
that pisses me off when i hear that.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by quickchicken
i cant wait to see the look on folks faces when they ask what im running when i tell them a 305 TPI!!
i also cant wait to show the folks that say " man i ripped that injected crap out first thing when i got my car" and show them what can be done with injection AND I DID IT WITH A 305!!
that pisses me off when i hear that.
That's cool, I hope you can write things down as they happen (during the buildup), I usually enjoy hearing about how things go when people are doing a buildup...

Me, I'm going for cubes, with 383 as the lower limit...
Old 07-12-2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by V8Rumble
That's cool, I hope you can write things down as they happen (during the buildup), I usually enjoy hearing about how things go when people are doing a buildup...

Me, I'm going for cubes, with 383 as the lower limit...
actually its already built. a friend built a 350 with a stealth ram and i bought his dirt low mile 305. i was shopping for heads and a bock and he spoke up about his 305 thats just sitting .
i do hafta get studs and plates installed as one of the pushrods got slideways and wobbed out the guide hole. he used a self align rocker but im gonna do it right.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:16 AM

You post a very good point. I love my L98... 200K miles on it, and I've never had to do any kind of work on the engine itsef. I love it. I do wish it had more stock HP, but it does have plenty of torque.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:22 AM

my father has put a stop to me building a 383 for my car, so now i am gonna get an LT1 car and do a cam, and boltons and spray it. ether way i wnt ow 12's, but neway

i know the feeling, many of us have heard it, and many people want to male here car fast to prove people wrong.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:42 AM

no problems here....check out chevy high performance september 2004.

pages 8 & 104-107

Old 07-15-2004, 11:01 AM

L98's can scoot pretty good. One of the guys on the N/W boards just ran a 14.4 @ 97mph in his 91 GTA with just a custom tune, 24# injectors, and a cat-back. Oh yeah, and he had a 2.3 or 2.4 60' while doing that run. So....yeah. L98's can move.

Me, I've just finished my build up on my L98.

LOTS of things done to it.
Ported intake with AS&M SS runners, ported heads, 24# SVO injectors, BBK AFPR, LPE 211/219 camshaft with .500"/.525" lift, and hooker 2055' headers. Already have a cat-back.

I'm looking for mid 13's or at least a 102mph trap speed once its tuned.

http://student.dpg.devry.edu/~d00712...hcie/index.htm Pictures #425 and up are the final assembly pics. I have pics from tear down to build up.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:59 PM

I have to agree with the 083 head thing, but then again, pretty much any stock Gen I head, 441's whatever it doenst matter is useless anymore with all the cheap and far mre effective options out thre anymore. You should at least go with a ported vortech set-up.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:52 PM

The guy is right about the 083 heads, especially when combined with the 76cc chambers. I don't care how much you port them, what kind of cam you run, exhaust, intake etc etc, they will not perform well at all. Even with optimal components on a 350ci engine and all the ideal supporting driveline and suspension mods it will still be a bore. Literally a waste of money.

Don't go down the well traveled path of the man who swaps in a low compression 350 with junk heads expecting big gains. Like everyone else, chances are you will be disappointed.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:58 PM

So many uneducated people.....such little time........ 083 have 64CC chambers, and stock they're crap. I've seen the flow numbers, and ported 083's flow a bit better than vette heads. And for the price i got them for, i could've cared less whether they're ported or not. Just makes it that much better
Old 07-15-2004, 09:26 PM

The stock flow numbers for the 113 heads are pretty much the same, and only slightly better than the iron 083 heads.

Yes, if you are going to pour money into heads then you might as well get a set of aftermarket ones. But if you are doing the porting yourself then you can't beat your stock heads cause they are already there and FREE.

I spent a total of $200 on my heads when I ported them. Most of the money was in valve train components to handle the cam I wanted.

As stated by F-bodybuilder the 083 heads NEVER came with anything other than 64cc chambers from the factory! If someone is telling you different then they've either been milled, or have had material removed from the chambers! You think 083 heads flow bad? Compare them to the 193 swirl port heads!!!! Those absolutely suck! With proper tuning and bolt on's its possible to see up to 300rwhp on stock 083 heads. The thing about the L98's was that the WHOLE system was restrictive and setup for torque. The intake, cam and heads were all good to about 4,500rpm and thats it. I'm sorry that not all of us were gifted with the flow #'s of LT1, and LS1 heads.

If I had a set of heads on my car that flowed about 275cfm on the intake then I'd be in the mid 12's no problem with the rest of my setup. I knew my heads were the limiting factor when I built my motor up. But I eventually plan on dropping a LT1 or LS1 into my car anyways........so why spend major money on heads right now.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:39 PM

I remember reading on here that someone managed to get their stock iron heads to flow 248 cfm after porting the holy hell out of them.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:04 PM

Actually, someone on thirdgen.org managed more like 300cfm out of them. Economically unfeasable, but if you've got the skill, time, and drive you can do it.

The article is on thirdgen.org somewhere.

Quick Reply: L98's get no respect!