3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

L98 T56 computer

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 09:57 AM

L98 T56 computer

seeing as how the L98 didnt come with a t-5 transmission (all automatic) if i wanted to put an L98 in my camaro with a t-56 transmission, how would i get a computer that would work with that? does it need to be custom burned or is there a performance PROM chip that allows the use of a manual transmission?
Old 05-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Banned

I would think you would want an upgraded EPROM just for the fact that the stock AUJP chip is not very aggressive and you want it to take advantage of what you have.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:56 AM

All you need is a speedo signal convertor. The ECM doesn't care if it's an auto or a stick as long as the VSS output is right.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:01 PM

thanks for the help guys. but thre's no lines going into the tranny at all? nothing like an automatic's TV cable? nothing what so ever?
whos the best company to buy an aftermarket ECM from?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CamaroStylin
thanks for the help guys. but thre's no lines going into the tranny at all? nothing like an automatic's TV cable? nothing what so ever?
whos the best company to buy an aftermarket ECM from?
There is a wire pair going to the tranny on the driver side. That is your Vehicle Speed Sensor. The VSS is almost at the rear of the tranny.

You don't need an ECM. You need an EPROM. I would call the people at www.fasterproms.com and have them burn you a chip for $350. It will be more aggressive and later when you want to do mods, it will cost you about $150. By the way, the first burn for $350 is complete when they have dialed it in. You can borrow their Diacom to take readings because each car is slightly different. That way it gets it dialed right in instead of the Hyperjunk which is some "off the shelf" unit. Get it from whomever but don't buy an off the shelf unit. Get somethign where they take readings and make adjustments till it is done.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:49 PM

how would I use fasterproms equipment if they are an online company?
i was looking at hypertech units and they only gave an option for the automatic 350 TPI, which is what i was afraid of.
do the VSS wires have to go to the computer or just to the speedometer?
so do i just tell them what i have on the engine, the heads, the intake, the injectors, the ignition system, the exhaust headers and things like that?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:24 PM

VSS sends a signal to the computer and the computer drives the speedo (assuming your car has an electronic speedo stock.) If your stock speedo is cable-drive, you'll need to either modify the tailhousing or buy a cable-drive box (i.e. the Cable-X from Abbott.) See this thread on TGO for more info. It may also help to run a search in that forum.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CamaroStylin
how would I use fasterproms equipment if they are an online company?

so do i just tell them what i have on the engine, the heads, the intake, the injectors, the ignition system, the exhaust headers and things like that?
You call them up and tell them stuff like that. Ask to borrow their DIACOM stuff and they send you the chip made to your specs. Also they will send you the cable, software but you supply the laptop. The cable hooks into your ALDL and takes data logs. You email them the log and they send you another chip and the process goes on till it is done. At which time you send them back the chips minus the last one and they Diacom disk and the cable. Just like a dyno tune. In this case, an empty stretch of road is your dyno.