3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

I might have found my next camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 01:26 AM

I might have found my next camaro

ok, so i was at taco bell tonight with my gf and scott and i hear an L98 camaro somewhere in the parking lot. i look over and see a white IROC t-top with flowmasters cruising through the wal mart parking lot and i saw him park in a group of people and get out. after we age we drove over there cause im desperately lookin for another third gen with an L98 in it, and i just straight up asked him if he was selling it. he thought about it for a minute and seemed like he didnt know what to say, but then just walked me to the car and i looked it over.
its a 1988 Iroc Z, all original body, polar white, factory decals on the doors, nice paint, factory rims, nice grey vinyl interior, 6 speaker bose stereo, new t-top seals and headliner FULLY loaded car. its got power windows, door locks, mirrors, even power seats, even has the trunk pop handle inside. He was talkin about the fact that he just put a new flowmaster dual exhaust system on it and new rear discs and i stopped him and said "woah, this has the 1LE suspension package on it" and he thought for a second and said "yeah" and then meantioned how he had another 88 v-6 with a blown motor in it. he just kinda shrugged off the fact that he had 2 and he didnt really seem to care about them.

He was in a group of import cars in the lot, and he didnt seem but so impressed with the platform that he had his hands on. he had bought it about 2 years ago and hadnt done anything with it. so, i already knew it was automatic and just to see what he knew I said "so what kinda transmission is this? a t-5 or 700R4?" he didnt have a clue. so i know that sinse i know more about the car, i can talk him down from it by pointing out things that could be wrong with it that he really wouldnt know about. but he pulled a "for sale" sign out of the back seat that had fallen out of the window. i was in luck he wanted to let it go. the sign said "3200 OBO" on it. I figure if i can bust out 2700 cash he'd probably take it cause like i said, he didnt seem to care about his camaros. what do you guys think? if i could get an all original L98 IROC t-top with 1LE for 2700, would it be a good deal?

I do have to ask though, do the L98s have a problem with the e-prom that causes them to put too much gas in the engine at start up? cause it took about 3 full seconds of holding the key down for the motor to catch, but when it did a LOT of grey smoke came out of the exhaust and then it cleared up. it wasnt oil smoke. both the owner and my buddy scott said it was a known problem with them. keep in mind, the 88s DID have the 9th injector for cold start.
thanks for the help guys
Old 07-19-2004, 01:45 AM

Re: I might have found my next camaro

f*ck yeah thats a good deal!!! go buy it before someone else does! if its in good condition and everything then that is a steal.

*edit* How can it be an L98 and have t-tops? L-98's only came with hardtops. Are you sure it was an L98?
Old 07-19-2004, 03:03 AM

You could get an l98 with t-tops in 88. 91 and 92 were the only years that you couldn't get the 350 with t-tops.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:55 AM

I have a few questions and comments about the car.First,are u sure it had vinyl??I am pretty sure it wasnt an option on IROCs.It was probably leather.Second,You say its a 1LE car.I highly doubt it is as only 4 were made that year.Maybe you meant G92?Also, 87-90 IROcs with L98 and T-tops is really not that rare.Maybe the 90 models would be a little harder to find in this combo but definitely not 87-89.Good luck with the purchase.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by thezisking
You could get an l98 with t-tops in 88. 91 and 92 were the only years that you couldn't get the 350 with t-tops.
woops, ive been looking for a 91-92 l98 too long.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:38 AM

no dont do it its a bad deal. but can i have the guys phone number?
Old 07-19-2004, 04:43 PM

Didn't 1LE start in 1990?
Old 07-19-2004, 06:06 PM

G92? whats the difference between 1LE and G92? he actually just called me back as i was typing this to give me the VIN number for me to run and yes, the 8th digit is an 8, signifying that it's a 350. I asked him if he knew it was a 1LE or maybe a G92 but he didnt know. ill look at the RPO codes when i have my mother and stepdad look it over.

sorry guys, im not gonna pass this one up if its a keeper. ill let you guys know though, for sure.

it may be leather inside there-the middle part of the seat looked like it, but i didnt think it would really be leather. hey, maybe ill get lucky, huh?

anyone else think i should get this car? keep the comments comming
Old 07-19-2004, 07:56 PM

please buy that car
Old 07-19-2004, 08:32 PM

g92 is the rpo code for some gear ratio and posi. Even if its not a 1le that is still a good deal if its in good condition and everything. Get some pics
Old 07-19-2004, 08:43 PM

You can get the 1LE discs on a non-1LE car. I have them on my 1989 TransAm GTA, and its not a 1LE car. Also has 350/T-tops.

Measure the rear rotors, if they are 11.75" (bigger than front brakes!) then it is a PBR disc rear-end. Excellent braking systems on these cars. Specially if you can change the brake bias to give a bit more to the rear brakes...

If its not a PBR setup then don't fret over it. Its better, but not THAT much better than the normal rear discs.

My TPI!
Old 07-19-2004, 09:06 PM

Seriously, if your not gonna buy that car, could I have his number? I desperately need a new car.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:19 AM

IF i dont buy it ill let you guys have his number. I just found out today the kid also has an older corvette. i KNEW he had money. i could tell by his attitude torwards the car. I remember seeing him about a year ago completely just WALK this 2003 celica GT and fixed up dodge neon in his vette. i think its an LT1 style vette. what shocked me is that the neon actually stomped the brand new celica GT as well. the guy had done a lot of work to it.

I've worked out a payment plan for getting this car. now all i have to do is get it looked over by the powers at hand (mother and my stepdad, the mechanic) and i'll be in business.

ill get pics the next time i see it for you guys. ill also take a look at all the RPO codes. the only thing i dont like about this WHOLE car is the spoiler. it's got one of those little lip spoilers that wraps around to the side fenders. i hate those. anyone know how hard it would be to take that off and put on the spoiler from my other 88??
Old 07-20-2004, 12:21 AM

oh, and kevin 2.8, trust me, im trying. i dont wanna let this one go unless i think its going to be a mechanical nightmare, which i dont think it will be.
the temp and oil gauges dont work, and the tach isnt accurate. I think all it needs is two new sending units and to have the sensor on the distributor for the tach cleaned up. even if it needs new gauges, i've got full working gauges on my 88

btw, does anyone know how the tach gets its reading? is it off the computer or off a sending sensor on the distributor?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:36 AM

the tach may be wired into the power on the coil... dunno

the lip spoiler will leave holes in the sides of the rear quarters which you wont be able to fill to look right. youre better off keeping the spoiler it has.

Quick Reply: I might have found my next camaro