3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

I bought a posessed car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 06:52 AM

I bought a posessed car.

Hello everyone. Check out this list of problems I had in my car last night when I took a girlfriend (not current girlfriend-girlfriend anymore, just a friend.) We went to a drive in theater to see The day after tomorrow, and this is what my nice running car decided to do. Keep in mind, all these things happened when it seemed like we were having good conversation....

1:Start running with a miss

2:Choke light comes on

3: Tach stops working

4: Alternator gauge stops working

5: My left side speakers cut out and have static only on the drive in theaters radio station. (Not her side though.)

6: Water temperature doesn't heat up normally (Stayed abnormally low.)

7: Car slips out of park and rolls back some, as I was getting out, I damn near fell down cause the door was open and we all know how those big long doors are. I had to hit the brake, to stop it.

So, 7 potential problems all within one night out with a girl. I think my car is jealous......

Actually, has anyone had any of these problems before? I looked under the hood and looked at the choke. I tried messing with the connection, it was ok, it wasnt stickin, so I don't know. Im gonna look at it really good later today.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:45 AM

thats goddamned wierd, my iroc did wierd things only when my x girl was in the car. bucked in place, idel low, etc etc, ran hot, and i swaer to god i always thought the same thing but felt i was dumb to say anything , camaros can sense trouble it seems
Old 06-12-2004, 10:23 AM

Mine & my husbands Firebirds did the odd things when we drove them to.

When my husband went to drive my 83 firebird it would: NOT start, or start then die (to the point I would have to go out & start it for him, then it would start right up), lights wouldnt work half the time, run like something is wrong with it.

When I drove it it ran fine.

When I drove my husbands 85 SE the key wouldnt turn unless I cused at it, or it just wouldnt start. The doors would lock on me (but not when he drove it) & the gages would flicker.

when He drove it it was fine.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:27 PM

That's your car's way of saying "time to choose: the girl, or me"

Mine did a similar "demonic" thing...I need to sell mine soon to get a 4x4 truck for school in Vermont...so on the way home from checking out a truck, the transmission blew. I could almost hear my car say, "You're not getting rid of me yet, bwahhaha!"

You just gotta talk to it...lol

Check your fuses...sounds like the Gauge fuse might be half-burned up, corroded, or the entirely wrong fuse...or maybe you just bumped it...that's the only thing I can think of.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by 91BigRedz28
I need to sell mine soon to get a 4x4 truck for school in Vermont...
What school in Vermont? My daughter is headed out in Aug. to South Royalton, Vermont to go to a law school there.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:16 PM

Check all chassis grounds. Most strange electrical problems are caused by a faulty ground, especially so when several issues occur at once.

As far as the trans concern: It doesn't sound like an electrical problem. You might just need to adjust your shift cable.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:53 PM

Interior lights get real bright.Radio comes on.Doors lock.....Your friend didn't almost choke on a hamburger did she?
Old 06-13-2004, 10:21 PM

lol, no she didnt choke. The car seemed mad at me, not her. lol. thanks for the advice about the chassis ground(s). I will check them out.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:54 AM

damn.... that is so seriously odd lol
Old 06-14-2004, 03:35 PM

If your friend or cars name is Christine you might have something to worry about. Something is either trying to tell you that she's really the right girl for you or to stay the hell away...lol. that's really weird, especially the engine running cooler than normal.

Good Luck!
Old 06-14-2004, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Marc 85Z28
Check all chassis grounds. Most strange electrical problems are caused by a faulty ground, especially so when several issues occur at once.

As far as the trans concern: It doesn't sound like an electrical problem. You might just need to adjust your shift cable.
I think Marc has the best idea. Probably the engine ground strap is broken.

You can solve it permanently by taking a battery cable of suitable length and bolting it to an accessory bracket and the other end to the car chassis.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:02 PM

Ground most definately. The running cooler thing sounds wierd, could be that the alternator just isnt drawing any power so the car ran better? dunno...

But I had a 73 SS Chevelle that literally blew the motor with a "new" girl in the car. The 73 wasnt great when I bought her so I did put some work into it. Anyways, traded it for an 88 IROC and two months later the Cops come to my door asking me if I wanted to claim a car . Two blocks away was the SS stripped down and in an empty lot... Guess it couldnt find the house...lol I didnt take it back....TOO FREAKY for me....lol

Lates,

Demo
Old 06-16-2004, 07:02 AM

you know its funy mine is just the opposite... my car runs like hsat when im driving it but when my girlfriend gets behind the wheel it runs excellent. i have sticking injectors and its hard to start for me. every morning i have to hold the throttle to the floor and crank it for like 5 sec before it starts. my girlfriend gets in it and it immediately starts... wtf?! is up with that? maybe my car is a guy and it dosent like other guys... i did buy it from a girl....

*Eric*
Old 06-16-2004, 09:10 PM

yo breakinthelawinaz are u gonna get back to me trnothingremains@aol.com about that piece dwelling in your attic
Old 06-17-2004, 07:23 AM

do you mean the f-glass hood? sorry im between school right now and i havnt been home in like 2 months, i get out of here in 2 weeks and ill get some pic up for you.

sorry about hijacking your thread... i prolly should have used PM huh...

*Eric*