3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

holley tpi stealth ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 03:25 PM

holley tpi stealth ram

i'm think'n of get'n one of these for my 86 Z28 with a 87 350/5.7 that still has the stock tpi unit on it....the engine allready has a new crank and roller cam and some other mod's....i allready have a holley twin 58 mm tb....3o lb accel injector's just wait'n to go on i just need a new upper/lower manifold and fuel rail set-up.....anyone have one of these or good or bad point's on e'm ?????......it's not a strip car just a summer daily driver with ball's to have a little fun with
Old 06-22-2004, 02:58 AM

You will lose some torque, but overall its not much. What you gain far outweighs the loss of TPI torque.

TPI can go fast, but it costs ALOT of money to upgrade it compared to a converted LT1 intake, or HSR. Both the HSR, and the LT1 intakes can be done for about $650 max. But upgrading a TPI can cost about $800 for the best parts. And once you are $800 in you might as well go with a super-ram with a little more cash. I'm in contact with a guy right now about a converted LT1 intake. Realy can't wait for it....

I love the look and torque of my TPI intake, but I don't want to spend $800 to get an intake that can take me into the 12's when I can do it for less.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:32 AM

might as well go all out and get a super ram Isnt that the alternative to the stealth ram thats not quite as good but is the only emissions compliant intake?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:57 AM

ive always been told by people in the know that the holley stealth ram is one of the best intakes you can put on a TPI engine, along with an LT1 intake. I would really take the holley over the LT1 though. thats just my opinion. you can really turn out some high end power with one of those things! i've got a 2.8l in my camaro now, but i'm lookin to build an L98 (that's why youre a lucky bastard, ex67, your car already has the L98, not some v-6 thats gonna cost a lot to convert. lol) and the setup i've put together for it would put out 499hp @ 6000 rpms with 491 ft/lbs of torque at 4500 rpms. Ive run this setup by a few people I know who have been racing for years, including my stepbrother who is a national champ in several areas using his nova and a 406 small block, and is on the world wide nissan racing team. they all seem to think it's very possible to get those numbers on a daily driver.

so in short, there's NO doubt that you could get some great numbers with the holley stealth ram intake, or LT1, but i've always been told the holley is the way to go.

keep in mind, the 86 L98 used a large distributor cap, so youre going to need a new distributor that uses a small cap so the stealthram will fit on there. check out www.stealthram.com for a full cost for the swap and full details on what's required.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:57 PM

visit www.stealthram.com to get your answers.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:00 PM

My 180cc Pro Topline, hotcam, stealthram combo was guttless below 3000RPM, keep that in mind for a daily.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:56 AM

... im not trying to question the setup or anything, but why would you run a holley stealthram (large intake) with 180cc heads?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:19 AM

I wanted some low end to keep it streetable, but it still wasn't. I hated driving the car unless the pedal was mashed to the floor.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:54 AM

when you say driveable, you mean you wanted to keep the low end response too? just to make it most reasonable to drive around town?

the things ive tossed together has great power at 6000 rpms, so im hoping it'll still smack some hondas off the line. if i remember correctly, i think it said it had like 270 ft/lbs of torque at 2k rpms. i'd say i could have some fun with that
Old 06-24-2004, 08:26 AM

I'm actually replacing my Super Ram with a Stealth Ram shortly, not for performance reasons but many other important reasons. The Stealth Ram is infinitely easier to work on if ever needed, if you have ever worked on a Super Ram car you know what I mean. There are about 2 dozen 1/4 inch bolts to be handled each and every time you take it apart or put it back together. Because of so many bolts there are many more spots on the intake that you can potentially damage. Stripped threads are not uncommon after working on a Super Ram many times. I've also had MANY problems over the years with vacuum leaks on the Super Ram. Getting the bolts that connect the runners to the manifold is not the easiest thing, especially with roller rockers. Chancesare to get this apart at the manifold you are going to have to take off a rocker arm or two, if you plan on assembling this without headaches. Other problems is the bolts connecting the runners to the plenum are not easy to loosen or tighten. I would recommend slotting the botoms of the bolts you want to use on the inside. Also, may I note the much beter access to the fuel rails and injectors. I don't want to burst anybodies bubble, but unless you have a perfectly running car all of the time and rarely need to take the top end of your motor apart, then the Super Ram may be for you, but if you are like myself and I'm sure many others on this site, you tend to work on your third gen quite a bit, lol, that may be an understatement for some. The SuperRam is not the pizza box for no reason. And ask any raceshop what they would charge to disassemble a superRam, your prices range from 700-1000 bucks in my experience, there's also reasons for that, most likely the reasons mentioned above.

Now, let me mention I've never worked on a Stealth Ram, but the idea that it's like 4 bolts for the plenum as well as the added clearance for the thermostat housing, (forgot to mention that, on the SuperRam, forget about having clearance for your thermostat housing, this is one of the TRICKIEST things to assemble if you have an oversized upper radiator hose) seem pretty nice to me. A decrease in power isn't that important to me as having less headaches when it comes to working on the car.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by PLANT PROTECTION
I wanted some low end to keep it streetable, but it still wasn't. I hated driving the car unless the pedal was mashed to the floor.
thats because you had heads that were too small, an intake that is more suited for larger port heads, and probbaly a cam that was too big for the entire combo!

i have a huge cam in my car, and i have plenty of power below 3k with a vic jr intake (basically the same flow and runner volume as a HSR)

i'd say do a cam up grade while you have that intake off...
Old 06-24-2004, 01:49 PM

what is the CFM rating of the HSR?? ive been trying to figure this out for SO long. and what about the numbers for the stock TPI intake? i need to know these things so i can piece together the best setup possible
Old 06-24-2004, 04:22 PM

i knew i should have saved that post... i believ the figuers were given out on thirdgen.org

someone made and tested a comparison between the victor jr. crab intake and the holley stealthram intake.

what i remember from the chart was that the runner lengths and flow numbers were identical...
Old 06-24-2004, 04:41 PM

found some things on thirdgen.org via search for ya - http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...ht=victor+flow

Accel cast LTR - 242 cfm
Accel LTR extrude honed - 276 cfm
SuperRam runners – 289 cfm

Base
Stock Accel Base – 251 cfm
Extrude honed Accel base – 276 cfm

Base and runners – no plenum
Accel LTR on stock Accel base – 232 cfm
SuperRam runners on stock base – 240 cfm
Extrude Accel cast LTR on Accel stock base – 243cfm
Extude Accel LTR, extrude Accel base – 267 cfm*
This number will be reduced 3 - 5% with the plenum (approximately 259 – 254 cfm)

Separate Test – numbers @ .500 lift

AFR 195 box stock heads 248.6 cfm

Heads + MiniRam (no t/b) – 243.9 cfm (98.1% efficiency)

Heads + Accel stock base – 244.4 cfm
Heads + Accel base + SuperRam runners – 228.3 cfm
Heads + Accel base + SuperRam runners + plenum (no t/b) – 220.3 cfm (88.6% efficiency)

Heads + Stock TPI Base – 231.5 cfm
Heads + Stock TPI Base + Stock runners – 210.6 cfm
Heads + Stock TPI Base + Stock runners + plenum (no t/b) – 198.9 cfm ( 80% efficiency)
i'll look more for those flow numbers later, i know they are there somewhere!
Old 06-24-2004, 07:57 PM

thanx for the reply's guy's but i'm at a standstill for now......like i said i have a 86 body with a 87 motor(no emisstion's stuff on it at all) and would'nt you know it the stealth will only go on a 87 with alluminum head's....every other year 82-86 and 88-92 it bolt's up just fine and i cant find a cast'n number on my head's anyware....it look's like they were remove'd/file'd down for god know's why and it has a nice semi-new paint job that i really dont want to ruin....i'm try'n to get ahold of the guy i bought it from to see if he could shed some lite on it for me.....meantime i'm have'n a new custom harness made to switch from MAF to speed density along with a new ecm and prom......now i really want to use that new 58mm holley throttelboby untill i find out what the head's are or switch e'm but from what i read i'd still need better runner's and/or a port job on the stock upper and lower manifold correct ???.....i've been out of car's sence HS...that's 19 yr's ago and sence buy'n the car 3 month's ago(told the wife i was have'n a mid life criss's) and the sound system i put in myself i've got over 15K investe'd and that's not inclued'n the price of the car so another K or 2 aint gonna matter either way if anyone has any suggestion's......the new harness will be here on tuesday so buy wednesday i want it in the shop so it will be done for the long 4th weekend.......it really suck's the only thing the kid did'nt do to this thing is the replace'n the stock tpi set-up

Quick Reply: holley tpi stealth ram