Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > 3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2004, 03:08 PM   #1

Help! Fuel pump won't shut off

Yep, just like it says. Whenever I turn the car off I can still hear the fuel pump running. I've just disconnected the battery for now. I unplugged the relay and that did absolutely nothing. Nobody I've talked to has ever heard of this happening. Anybody have any ideas?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
1SLOWIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #2

anyone?
Old 02-02-2004, 03:51 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to dj haf
try taking off the fuel pump fues by the battery... that'll turn it off for sure.
dj haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:06 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to amc91z Send a message via Yahoo to amc91z
is this Tim? Will the car still start and run?

91 Z28 Black and Silver: Forged 355/T56 and a little spray....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2204499

97 Z28 Black: 355/T56...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2279051/1
amc91z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:09 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to transxtreme
My guess is that your fuel pump relay is messed up and not shutting off. So get a new relay, its located in back of the brake booster. That shud solve the problem, if not come back and let us know. good luck.
transxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:22 PM   #6

happened to my towncar, wire a temporary switch under the hood to break the wire until you can get the regulator replaced.

while your at the scrap yard grab all the regulators for later.

sucks when your battery dies every day and you dont kno why eh?
85 berlinetta, gold pkg, v6, a4, pw, pdl, cruise, tilt, trunk pop, duals, cargo cover, lux cargo, roof console w flashlight, alloy rims, starship dash, swivel cassette w eq, air, added: 15" z28, k&ns, door glass tint, remote starter pager alarm keyless trunk w window rollup, hypertech streetrunner, louvers, hollowed air box, monroe shocks, gabrielle struts, reproduction front springs, bra, gts headlight covers.
86 lincoln towncar, 5.0, pw, 6way ps, pdl, pm, hm, air, cc, tilt, climc, alarm, added: jvc cd, limo tint, red int lights, 91 15" tc rims, winter beater
kevin 2.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:37 PM   #7

Yes, this is Tim. Yes the car will start and run. When I was driving home today, I could tell it was getting too much gas because it started to bog really bad. I'll try the fuse here in a little bit. We weren't sure which relay was the right one, so we disconnected all of them and it still continued to run.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:12 PM   #8

Fail safe

Your car has a fail safe for the pump, the oil pressure switch will always keep the pump running if the primary circut fails (i.e the relay or the fuse) the fuel pump will continue to run if this switch sticks closed. The switch will only send power to the pump when it has pressure under it or it goes out.....Start the car unplug the relay and the fuse..it should stay running...now disconnect the oil pressure switch (it should die) Try this and see if it works, reply back if it does not.
greezemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:19 PM   #9

Where is the switch? I'll probably just mess with it tomorrow since its already dark and not exactly warm right now. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:02 AM   #10

some v8`s have one next to the dist, some have them just above the oil filter,...the buick v6 is right front of the block, the chev v6 is next the filter
Old 02-08-2004, 05:14 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Greeze is right on the money....Mine did the same thing. Went out and unplugged the Oil sensor and it shut off. Replaced relay and plugged oil sensor back and all is well. You oil sensor is right above the oils filter. It is about an inch long and has one wire coming out of the very end of it.

Later
1fastformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 05:17 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to amc91z Send a message via Yahoo to amc91z
any luck Tim?

91 Z28 Black and Silver: Forged 355/T56 and a little spray....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2204499

97 Z28 Black: 355/T56...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2279051/1
amc91z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:50 PM   #13

No. I replaced the relay today and still have problems. I think the switch that everyone's talking about may not be in the same place anymore due to the engine swap. I looked for it but I never found it.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:22 PM   #14

The oil sending relay should be where we stated.......I had to change mine out to get the fuel pump back on track. Look CAREFULLY!!! It is right under the driver side header (if manifold...it might be harder to see) near the rear plug. You do have a oil pressure gauge right??? what year is the engine??

Later
1fastformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:24 PM   #15

Fast formula is right! there is that spot by the oil filter (just above it ) or next to the dist. base behind the intake manifold. THESE are the only two places to get oil pressure readings from a small block of your year....the early small blocks had a galley in the front just below the front of the intake manifold, but unless it`s an older motor, that`s outta the question.....I have an 85 that came with the H.O. tpi and it had the switch branched off the same port as the sender. Next to the dist. on the right side...Take a good look and unplug it....Mine was a two pronge switch , but later models had a three pronge switch. If this doesn`t help seek professional help.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:24 PM

Reply Post New Thread