3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

headers

Old 08-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Banned

headers

what kind of headers do you guys think i should go with? i don't necessarily want the most expensive/best performing out there, but i do want to get my money's worth. that being said, what brands/models would you guys suggest. my car is an 89 GTA with the L98 and dual cats if that matters at all. it also has the oil cooling lines if that makes a difference.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:08 PM

Re: headers

I would probably go with either hooker or hedman shorty headers and probably get them coated. Sucks that they are only 1 5/8" primaries though. SLP 1 3/4" would be the only other option.....well besides Hooker/Hedman longtube headers if you want to kill ground clearance. I guess it depends on how much you plan to do to your car, because you don't want to have to buy headers twice.

There is a big write up on the different headers on the Thirdgen.org board under the exhaust section you can read up on. I still haven't decided what headers to get, both the hooker and hedman's look good enough, but eventually I want a 383 so SLP might be a better choice.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the headers listed above, they are all better than the exhaust manifolds on there now.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Banned

thanks man, i thought 1 3/4" were recommended for 350 and the 1 5/8" were better for 305.....i remember reading that somewhere or something, but either way i would definitely like to get some headers.

edit: checked their website (SLP) and couldn't find any headers for a dual cat car. if i got some for a single cat car could i find a y-pipe to hook them up?

Last edited by malachai; 08-10-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:13 PM

On my 87 L98 We went with the Edlbrock headers then followed that up with Flowmasters catback.I am happy with them they sound great
Old 08-10-2004, 03:36 PM

hedman shorties are prob. the best headers for the money. mine fit excellent and ive never had to hit them w/ a hammer and ive had them in and out 3 times (with motor changes).
Old 08-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by malachai
thanks man, i thought 1 3/4" were recommended for 350 and the 1 5/8" were better for 305.....i remember reading that somewhere or something, but either way i would definitely like to get some headers.

edit: checked their website (SLP) and couldn't find any headers for a dual cat car. if i got some for a single cat car could i find a y-pipe to hook them up?
If you plan to stay stock then go with 1 5/8 of you will shoot yourself in the foot.

Convert to a 1 cat system. They will connect at the collectors into a Y pipe and it will dump into a cat and into the exhaust. I did it.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:21 AM

Re: headers which chip

kind of a side question, but how did that chip help and which one did you buy. i was looking around for mods and the best headers for the money are the hookers which i got for my 89 gta g92 with duel CAT option.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Banned

If you are going to buy a chip off the shelf, just take the money and deposit it in the toilet, **** on it and flush it down. Better yet, give it to me.

Either a truely custom chip or nothing. The only way to do it is with feedback for your next burn. NOBODY is that good where they can burn it in 1 shot unless they have done tons of burns for that burn. I went to LPE and he had to sit in the driver seat with his assistant cramped in the pass to do datalogs. The road was the dyno. The other way is to have it strapped down on a dyno. Lingenfelter did it on the road because he wanted to burn rubber because I asked him why he did a burnout and he said it was "just to do it". What are you going to do? Tell him "NO"? I went to www.hitechmotorsport.com and had them flog it on a dyno because I wanted a dyno chart too. Otherwise I go with www.fasterproms.com because they will let you send them feedback and they will mod the chip till it is nuts on.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aklim
If you are going to buy a chip off the shelf, just take the money and deposit it in the toilet, **** on it and flush it down. Better yet, give it to me.

Either a truely custom chip or nothing. The only way to do it is with feedback for your next burn. NOBODY is that good where they can burn it in 1 shot unless they have done tons of burns for that burn. I went to LPE and he had to sit in the driver seat with his assistant cramped in the pass to do datalogs. The road was the dyno. The other way is to have it strapped down on a dyno. Lingenfelter did it on the road because he wanted to burn rubber because I asked him why he did a burnout and he said it was "just to do it". What are you going to do? Tell him "NO"? I went to www.hitechmotorsport.com and had them flog it on a dyno because I wanted a dyno chart too. Otherwise I go with www.fasterproms.com because they will let you send them feedback and they will mod the chip till it is nuts on.

my chip sucks man. aklim has it entirely right. i am going to buy a flash burner and start burning my own once i get a little more familiar with it. i have a pretty cool car club around here with a lot of knowledgeable guys who can help with it, but definitely do NOT get a JET or whatever chip. my brother has the same car as i with the same options, but his has a custom chip and he can walk me like i'm standing still from a dig or a roll. go custom it's better