3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Good Cam Kit????

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:40 AM

Good Cam Kit????

I saw this in jegs, and I thought it would be a good investment for me...I think it would work on my motor(350 1990 vette motor), i don't see why it wouldn't...it says its a hot cam, is this the same as tthe Lt4 hot cam??? Would this be a good buy, or should I look elsewhere...how much HP would this give me? would I have to reprogram the computer if I put this on my motor?? http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...12&prmenbr=361
Old 08-16-2004, 11:32 PM

Re: Good Cam Kit????

It appears to be the GM HOT cam kit. You will not see that big of a hp gain from it. The TPI intake is the restriction and can only make power upto 4500rpms. Nothing higher, so that cam is a little over kill. But it will still work decent.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:36 PM

What if I went with different runners, ported plenum, possibly a new hiflow base, new injectors and LT4 hotcam without the roller rockers and the rest of the stuff included in the package...i guess what i'm trying to get at is, is the rest of the stuff in that package necessary with changing a cam? also, if i changed my runners, pleum, injectors, and cam, would I HAVE to reporgram my computer, or would reprogramming just be a benefit to squeze that extra HP out of it??
Old 08-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Banned

Why not get rid of the intake system first? I don't care how high lifting your cam is you will still screw up the results without changing the intake system. Try a Holley Stealth Ram for a couple hundred dollars more. Later you can do the cam and intakes.

Reprogramming the EPROM is always necessary to get it fine tuned to what you are having installed. Also, if you have a stock system, it would help too, just not as much. With larger injectors, reprogramming is a must. Go see www.fasterproms.com for a custom EPROM and ask them to borrow their DIACOM unit so they can make changes via email. That way, the chip is dyno tuned and not off the shelf where you hope it will work. In this case, the road is your dyno.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:57 AM

Well not all the parts are required, but new springs are definitely.

The problem is not that the TPI intake doesn't flow, the problem is the length of the tuned runners. The length produces a tuned length indicitive of lowend production, with an acoustically tuned torque peak around 2500. The design itself can not support more power. You need to upgrade to a new intake HSR, or any of the other many intakes that don't limit rpm and power potential.

I would do exhaust, intake and cam in that order!

Last edited by ME Leigh; 08-17-2004 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:35 PM

i'm doing exhaust for sure this winter....LT headers, custom y pipe, at least 3 inch pipe, maybe 3.5 inch, then a 40 series muffler...But thanks for al the reply's, I just wanted to know if you could put a cam in there without modifying the computer, but i guess not....i would love a new intake but i got all kinds of body work to do before i get a new paint job and i'm geting rims and a new rearend...so i have alot on the agenda before a new intake..i was just going to go with the runners and base because i heard you don't HAVE to modify your computer at all..is this true?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by klumb15
i'm doing exhaust for sure this winter....LT headers, custom y pipe, at least 3 inch pipe, maybe 3.5 inch, then a 40 series muffler...But thanks for al the reply's, I just wanted to know if you could put a cam in there without modifying the computer, but i guess not....i would love a new intake but i got all kinds of body work to do before i get a new paint job and i'm geting rims and a new rearend...so i have alot on the agenda before a new intake..i was just going to go with the runners and base because i heard you don't HAVE to modify your computer at all..is this true?
dont HAVE to,but should.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Banned

I put intakes and headers on my car a 10 years ago. Drove it to KY and on the way back, I stopped by LPE and had them redo the EPROM. There was a night and day difference. So, to answer your question, yes, you can run it without but no, you would not want to if you had the choice,
Old 08-17-2004, 09:57 PM

well i would eventually get it reporgrammed, but i'm not gonna get it reprogrammed after every little upgrade...how much does it cost to just stop somewhere and have them burn a custom prom..i know its like 450 for fast chips to send a computer and what not and they burn you like 5 chips till they get it right...i was just wondering how much it would be if you stopped somewhere..
Old 08-18-2004, 06:08 AM

If you had a carb setup the hot cam kit would give you an honest 40 hp increase but since you have TPI you need to look at cams that will work properly with TPI. The Crane Compucam series are made to run with your stock Prom and will perform very well. About 4 years ago I installed a Crane compu cam (CRN 104224) in my sons 87 IROC (350). Using 305 heads at the time, 3:73 gear, 700r4 trans, Edelbrock shorty headers, 1988 Corvette PROM (about $40- it brings up timing 2* and slight increase in pulse width for injectors), 19 lb (305) injectors,-- the car ran ran consisten 13.90's using drag radials. Other than the corvette prom no expensive prom tuning was needed using that cam. The compucam series is probably the best bang for the buck and you don't need to worry about driveability issues after installation.....
Old 08-18-2004, 10:50 AM

alright, that sounds awesome...i already have a corvette computer, and prolly a corvette prom also...so i wouldn't need to change anything right? where can i get one of these cams?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:11 AM

Get the cam from either Jeg's or Summitt catalogues. If you used the corvette ecm from the donor car the engine came from you are all set. If you're using your stock computer, then order a prom from the dealer...but you will need to order a prom for a 90 corvette because I think '90 was the year they switched from MAF to speed density and the programming is diffferent.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:39 AM

well actually my car just got out of the shop....apparantly the dude that did the swap left the 5.0 computer in it, and snipped the wires for the map sensor and didn't even run a MAF sensor...so 450 bucks later, the shop put in a new vette computer and wired a MAF sensor...so all of that is brand new...thanks god..but its called compucam series???
Old 08-18-2004, 11:43 AM

well i believe i found it...but i guess there is a few differnet choices...can you help me out with which one.. http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...50&prmenbr=361 do i need anything else besides the cam...springs, rockers, etc???
Old 08-18-2004, 11:46 AM

haha...well i looked at the details and i think i found it...its the one under SBC 87-98 and its the first one...because the first one said its for 305 TPI and 350TPI with stock computer...and the second one is for modified computers...can you verify this? also once again do i need any else like the things i posted in the upper post...thanks for your help, i appreciate it...

Quick Reply: Good Cam Kit????