3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

forth gen steering wheel in my 87?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 12:53 AM

forth gen steering wheel in my 87?

i would really like to put an early model forth gen steering wheel in my 87 iroc, the kind that has the two horn buttons, one on each side of the center part. the question i have , first off, is this possible? second, my car didn't come with an air-bag, so if i wanted to leave the air-bag connection out of the equation, could i do so? just wondering???
Old 05-27-2004, 09:24 AM

I wouldn't do it. If the airbag were to deploy (static electricity?, since it is no longer grounded or connected) it could make for a very bad day. There are strict procedures in the Helms manual for handling airbags (in case of accidental deployment when moving them around the shop, etc). I don't think that it would be worth any potential risks. Besides, you could probably get a reasonable amount of money for a wheel with a good airbag from someone on need (or pay alot to get one).

My thoughts.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:06 PM

Agreed with 2nd poster, because it has the airbag its not a good idea.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:52 PM

I dont even think it would look good at all. Them steering wheels are all thick and rounded off. I think they are ugly. Stick with the 3 spoke camaro one.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:36 PM

i would keep my stock one but it is all tore up, the horn doesn't even work. the metal connections on the back of the horn button are all rusted . i don't really know if i wanted to go with the forth-gen steering wheel, the question was mainly from the air bag stand point. but i'm not sure how it would look, so i was assking to see if anyone has actually done this, so i could see it for myself. then make the judgement. you know, every one has a diff opinion on what looks good and what doesn't, so i guess it is all up to the owner's taste.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:38 PM

I was only concerned with safety, I never considered the appearance. I'd just hate to see anyone hurt by an accidental air bag deployment.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:27 PM

"i would keep my stock one but it is all tore up, the horn doesn't even work. the metal connections on the back of the horn button are all rusted . i don't really know if i wanted to go with the forth-gen steering wheel, the question was mainly from the air bag stand point. but i'm not sure how it would look, so i was assking to see if anyone has actually done this, so i could see it for myself. then make the judgement. you know, every one has a diff opinion on what looks good and what doesn't, so i guess it is all up to the owner's taste."

Maybe you could find a good wheel in the boneyard. There's a pretty good bit of junkyards with camaros around my small town, so I bet you could find one. Ebay?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:28 PM

Wink

sorry for the confusion trackbird, my last statement wasn't directed at anyone in general. and i do appreciate your point on the static electricity. i would never of thought of that. and yes it would suck to be driving down the road and get slamed by an unexpected air bag. thanks for the helpful information. by the way, i found a pic of a thrd gen 91 with a forth gen steering wheel, and it was pretty ugly.lol. guess tire was right...oh well, on to the next idea..............?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by 87slyroc
sorry for the confusion trackbird, my last statement wasn't directed at anyone in general. and i do appreciate your point on the static electricity. i would never of thought of that. and yes it would suck to be driving down the road and get slamed by an unexpected air bag. thanks for the helpful information. by the way, i found a pic of a thrd gen 91 with a forth gen steering wheel, and it was pretty ugly.lol. guess tire was right...oh well, on to the next idea..............?
I was pretty sure that wasn't directed at me. I just wanted to clarify my reasons for concern.

Safety first!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:33 PM

Talking

i tried ebay last night for a third gen, nothing worth while was there. plus i go to school up here in glendale hieghts, and i don't really know of any junklawns around here. not to mention i got high hopes for this car and i would like to keep it looking as good as possible. i'm sure i'll ind something soon enough. thanks for the help......
Old 05-27-2004, 10:34 PM

Grant steering wheels. I'd start there.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:36 PM

Smile

thanks for the heads up bird........ safety is upmost important. thats why i asked about the open connection. i wanted to make sure everything was fine for me to put an air bag equipped wheel in my car, but since its not, i'll find something.....
Old 05-27-2004, 10:38 PM

Smile

tire- i looked at some grant wheels in a catalog not too long ago and didn't really see anything that fit my likeings. but if they have a web site or something, i could give them another look
Old 05-27-2004, 10:39 PM

http://www.grantproducts.com/
Old 05-27-2004, 10:49 PM

Thumbs up

thanks guys. i'll check into it and keep ypu posted....

Quick Reply: forth gen steering wheel in my 87?