3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Fan Trouble Please Help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 09:16 PM

Fan Trouble Please Help!!!!!!!

Well i got my engine started today after almost a year of being down for a rebuild and some other goodies....Well i converted to a daul fan setup b/c the single was no good well the problem im having is that its been so long since i tore it all apart that i want sure where everything went. Well after getting it all settled everything was good except my fans wont come on till the temp gauge reades almost 260 which is not good at all I have a 160* thermostat in it BUt i bought the hypertch fan switch and its supposed to have the fans come on at 185. Well the problem is where the switch is there was a plug before and no switch there but there is a wire that goes there that has that wired plug on it to fit the fan switch but it also fits the knock sensor which is what i plugged it into to begin with but i dont know im stumped and I know that some cars the fans are controlled by the ecm and some the fan switch the hypertech the switch was MAde for 86-88 TPI 305 or 350 daul fans so i dont know if maybe since mine was single before i dont know but i need fans that come one at 180 b/c the new cam and what not creates heat fast but the good news is the engine runs real strong and sounds badass with open headers....Any help is greatly apreciated Thanx....
Old 08-19-2004, 06:40 AM
Banned

Re: Fan Trouble Please Help!!!!!!!

Dude, punchuation helps us to read your post.

If you have a single fan setup, you will not be able to make it work by just adding a hypertech switch. The knock sensor wire is for the knock sensor ONLY. Clean the wire and see if it is dark blue in color. If so, it is the knock sensor wire. I don't have a service manual for your car so, looking at Chilton (something you need to get, if you don't have one), I would say that it is not going to work. You would need to wire up a relay to make it work. You would need to wire it up so that the second fan in controlled by the fan switch. If you wired up both fans to come on together, you would need to reprogram the ECM to change the temp setting for them to come on earlier because they are now ECM controlled.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:38 PM

Well dose anyone know anyone around Rogers ARkansas that could reprogram my ecm otherwise where would i send it to to have it done?
Old 08-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Banned

www.fasterproms.com did a fine job on mine. They will truely custom your unit if you borrow their DIACOM stuff to take feedback. Same thing as a dyno tune except the road is your dyno.