3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Exuast leak.....

Old 07-22-2004, 01:08 PM

Exuast leak.....

So I got these new eldelbrock headers(compliments of my friend barry) right and put'em on Sunday with the help of my friend Rich. Well afterwards around say 9-9:30 when we finally got done. We discovered there's a really bad exuast leak..I mean REALLY bad. I have brand new header gaskets and as far as I know they are all good. The leak however seems to come from the passenger side header where it connect to the Y-pipe. The thing is though it seemed to go on pretty flush,yet that also seems to be the source. So I'm asking if I should just say the hell with it and pump every seem header back on both sides with muffler minder till I fix the leak or go to Auto zone and make true duel or something ?

Also,
During the install we decided to take all just about all the smog stuff that "looked" un-important. Work out relatively well and now I have lots of room in the engine bay. But now my car runs REALLY rich. I talked to my friend adam and he said it's a simple fix to just re-jet the the QD or put on a aftermarket carbed that's jetted currectly for the new much better flowing headers. I have no clue,simply cause I'm still learning myself...any more suggestions on that ?

~BB~
Old 07-22-2004, 04:06 PM

Re: Exuast leak.....

Which Edelbrock TES did you buy? Specifically, part number, or for which engine? I see you stated you have a QuadraJet. The carbed cars came with a factory heat riser - its a butterfly valve on the passenger side exhaust and bolts inbetween the header and y-pipe. Is that completely gone? And did you use the proper donut gasket for the y-pipe?

BTW - Your computer controlled QuadraJet cannot be re-jetted for better performance. If its running rich at 2/3 to full throttle the secondaries metering rods can be changed to adjust lean/rich (similar to rejetting). Under no circumstance should you ever touch the primary side of the carb. Rich under all conditions, after the headers and not before, indicates you have another problem somewhere else. The carb could be the cause, but it's unlikely. Don't throw your money away on an aftermarket carb. You're biting off more than you expect...
Old 07-22-2004, 10:12 PM

Unhappy Re: Exuast leak.....

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Which Edelbrock TES did you buy? Specifically, part number, or for which engine? I see you stated you have a QuadraJet. The carbed cars came with a factory heat riser - its a butterfly valve on the passenger side exhaust and bolts inbetween the header and y-pipe. Is that completely gone? And did you use the proper donut gasket for the y-pipe?

BTW - Your computer controlled QuadraJet cannot be re-jetted for better performance. If its running rich at 2/3 to full throttle the secondaries metering rods can be changed to adjust lean/rich (similar to rejetting). Under no circumstance should you ever touch the primary side of the carb. Rich under all conditions, after the headers and not before, indicates you have another problem somewhere else. The carb could be the cause, but it's unlikely. Don't throw your money away on an aftermarket carb. You're biting off more than you expect...
I need a book on the QD from what this sounds like. What else could the problem be ?

~BB~
Old 07-22-2004, 11:28 PM

Re: Exuast leak.....

About the headers...I don't know the codes but I got pics...

~BB~