3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

engine misses and sputters

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 PM

engine misses and sputters

Today my 1989 firebird formula with a 305 tbi started to miss/sputter at about 55mph. When I slowed down it was still doing the same thing and I was able to get the car home. I thought maybe the spark plugs were bad so I changed them and no change. Also, I checked the egr valve and it appears to be working ok. I did a complete tune up on the car about 3 years ago ( 5000 miles ) so I don't really think it's any of those components. I am not getting a service engine soon light and the exhaust smells really bad.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 PM

Well, I have checked everything I could think of and found nothing. I'm thinking about taking it to the local muffler shop and have them check to see if the cat. is plugged. To my knowledge it is the original one on the car.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:18 PM

You can check the basic things first: fuel pressure, ignition base timing, fuel injector spray pattern (visually) etc.
Fuel pressure for TBI units varies, the typical range is 9-11psi.
Base timing on the TBI engines could again vary, from 4 to 8 degrees BTDC, depending on what the last mechanic set it to, because each engine likes a different base. Don't forget to disconnect the single-prong connector (tan/black wire) by the blower motor.
The fuel injection pattern should be nice and conical and should look the same from both injectors. No dripping or stream spray.

Let us know what you find.

Lou
Old 07-13-2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadLou
You can check the basic things first: fuel pressure, ignition base timing, fuel injector spray pattern (visually) etc.
Fuel pressure for TBI units varies, the typical range is 9-11psi.
Base timing on the TBI engines could again vary, from 4 to 8 degrees BTDC, depending on what the last mechanic set it to, because each engine likes a different base. Don't forget to disconnect the single-prong connector (tan/black wire) by the blower motor.
The fuel injection pattern should be nice and conical and should look the same from both injectors. No dripping or stream spray.

Let us know what you find.

Lou
Well, I did check a few of the things listed but not fuel pressure. I don't have a guage at this time. Where is a good place to get one and how much. I did not check the timing because my brother was the original owner of the car until I bought it from him 6 years ago and he never messed with it. Also this car has never been to a garage in the 21 years of it's life except for 2 mufflers. Yeah this car has ran that good for that long. The only major problem in the past was the trans. which I did my self if you look at some of my past threads.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 AM

Well, I finally got the car fixed. The distributor was bad. Never had one go bad on me before. I guess there is a first time for everything.