3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Considering a 91 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 09:29 PM

Considering a 91 RS

1st off, I already own a 96 Z with a cc 305 cam. But unfortunately I bent 2 valves on in it. I have it apart, heads done and ready to go back on. But I passed this 91 rs today. Body is has no damage. Needs paint, 305 with 150k. A4 the tranny wont go in reverse. So as I am speaking to the guy he tells me hes asking $900 and as hes rambling on then tells me he"ll take $700. So I am thinking of showing up with $500. I figured Just to get it and mess around with it. I already have a beater but I figured just to mess around with. What do you guys think? I also work at a mechanic shop as sales/tech so I have a place to work on it... Just trying to get input.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 PM

That shouldn't be bad. there's more than enough 700R4s laying around that you can replace that pretty easily. I'd say show up with 500 see what he says. then go from there. TBI won't get you the power that TPI will but it's still not a bad motor IMO. Third Gens with no body damage are getting harder and harder to find though so if there's no rust or anything then i'd say it is worth the money he's asking. but like i said see if he'll take 5 then go from there. won't hurt to try. ah the art of haggling.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:54 PM

If you like the generation I think everyone should have a clean one to start playing with. Get it in running condition asap so you don't get completely sick of it sitting around. Do a little body work, scuff it up clean up possible rust spots..powerwash and undercoat it with cheap stuff or POR-15 if you value it. Pick a color and make it pretty again. Do a nice 17" rim/tire so it handles/rides/looks nice... If it's too slow, do a drivetrain swap. 5.3 LS engine/Trans is cheap as far as swaps go. A complete doner truck helps make it swap/transfer quicker/easier.. Simpler but probably not cheaper is a carb/intake setup and msd controller for the coils, etc. Options are endless obviously...just don't go dropping 20 grand into something you regret and have to sell for 5 grand a year later.

Goodluck!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 PM

You should really check out Thirdgen.org. I'm over there (same s/n) and have gotten all kinds of info for my 87 IROC. good stuff and you can find info on just about any swap you can imagine.