3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Any reason I can't use rubber fuel line hose as part of the fuel pickup in the tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 02:07 PM

Any reason I can't use rubber fuel line hose as part of the fuel pickup in the tank?

My in-tank TPI fuel pump just died recently, and I ripped the tank and that sucker out yesterday. I had been running a carb with a Mallory regulator to turn down the TPI pump's pressure for like 2 years, but now that it's dead I'm just going to swap on a mechanical pump.

When you remove the intank pump you're left with a section of metal tubing sticking down into the tank that is about 8 inches or so too short. Is there any reason I can not use some good rubber hose sold as high pressure fuel line hose to form this part of the pickup? It's labeled "multi-fuel compatible". I would assume being fuel line it would be able to handle being submerged in gasonline... It slips right up in place over the rubber hose and I can simply hose clamp it on securely and be done pretty easily. I'm just worried if there is something I'm missing... Part of the old pump mounting setup has a ring down at the very bottom of where the line will be running, so the rubber hose will be secured and won't be flopping around or anything, physically it will work great, but it's rubber vs metal...

Any comments?

Also, for the lines that run from the drivers side of the engine bay over to the mechanical pump and then to the carb, is there any reason I can't use copper tubing for that? I have a kit to bend and flare copper tubing and crap, and I don't know if it will work on factory aluminum or whatever it is tubing (or where to buy it for cheap). It's either that or more rubber tubing, being in the engine bay with heat and crap I'd like to use mainly metal tubing but maybe it won't matter too much...

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 01-11-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:46 PM

I don't know if I would use rubber in a fuel system. I can't even see how that would be legal. Anyways, I wouldn't use it. If it deteriorates than you could have all kinds of problems. Not to mention the fact that rubber can collapse especially if it is degraded.

Also using copper tubing on fuel systems is, I am pretty sure, illegal also. I could be wrong on all of this though.

Good luck!!

BOZ
Old 01-11-2004, 03:56 PM

Copper tubing is a no-no. Steel tubing will bend/flare easily enough and can be had from most parts stores. Your flare kit should work fine on it.

Using a fuel-rated hose for the fuel pump pickup won't be a problem. Most factory in-tank pumps use a 2-3" section of rubber hose to connect the pump bracket/fuel sender to the pump itself anyway. Don't use a regular hose (i.e. vacuum hose or coolant hose) because that WILL deteriorate and eventually the car will not run with less than 1/2 tank of gas.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by TheGreatJ
Using a fuel-rated hose for the fuel pump pickup won't be a problem. Most factory in-tank pumps use a 2-3" section of rubber hose to connect the pump bracket/fuel sender to the pump itself anyway. Don't use a regular hose (i.e. vacuum hose or coolant hose) because that WILL deteriorate and eventually the car will not run with less than 1/2 tank of gas.
See, I didn't know that. Thank you for claifying.

BOZ
Old 01-11-2004, 05:10 PM

Cool, it's good fuel rated stuff that I've got, supposed to be high pressure stuff suitable for fuel injection so it shouldn't collaspe or anything (hadn't thought of that though).

Guess I'll look for factory type steel tubing then for the rest up in the engine bay.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Banned

I thought there is a section of fuel lines that hooks up to the fuel rail that has rubber in it?

It is safe to use provided you use fuel rated hose. The transparent stuff and Home Depot will give you problems.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:50 PM

I don't remember there being any on mine when it was TPI. I have been running a section of this same rubber fuel hose from the steel lines on the driver side to a regulator above the driver side valve cover, then over to the carb for awhile, so maybe I'm forgetting some original rubber line that was there, sure seems like it was all metal though.

Since I'm going to be wrapping on down to the passenger side of the block near the headers and crap for the mechanical fuel pump I'd like to redo it and use metal for almost all of it... Course if I can't find any or it's more than I want to pay for some lousy tube I may end up using this same rubber hose for all of it, I have a decent bit left from originally doing this carb setup...

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 01-11-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:51 PM

There are sections of rubber hose in the engine bay with the stock setup. It's somewhat necessary to account for movement/vibration of the engine (to keep the line from cracking.) However, when running a section of line all the way from one frame rail to the opposite side of the engine, it's a good idea to use steel line. If it were me, I'd run the steel line from the mechanical pump under the timing cover and behind the accessory brackets, then use a short (12-18") section of steel braided hose for a sort of flex-link to the hard line on the frame rail.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:39 PM

Yea, there should have been about a foot of rubber line after where the stock hard lines came up by the drivers side fender.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:04 PM

For maintenence's sake, i'd stick with metallic materials. Coming from a chemical side of it, gasoline is a petroleum-derivative, as are all plastics/tubings. Even rubber will eventually dissolve over time in the gasoline, as both are non-polar substances. Likes dissolve likes. Think about it...gas is made from oil and so are plastics. Rubber is almost non-existent in tubing now, they are almost entirely made of synthetic plastics.

Basically, the tubing might work for a while, but even fuel-rated "rubber" lines will deteriorate over time, so if it's in the fuel tank where you're not going to be able to get to it easily, use steel. If you need flexibility, go for braided lines. It's expensive, but they won't crush, crack or change with pressure.