3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 11:02 PM

headers

I need to find a set of headers/y pipe that will connect with stock 3" exhaust. It needs to fit, not have the air injection pipe, and have the O2 sensor provision. Anyone? Looking for a free flowing exhaust that exits in the stock location. I wish there was a commercially available dual exhaust....

p.s. 1988 Trans Am GTA 5.7 liter auto
Old 01-04-2004, 11:10 PM

You can use Edelbrock "TES" for a "Dual cat" set-up and use a Flowmaster "Y-collector" that should get you back to a single 3" and have the 02 sensor "bung"in the right spot.
As a matter of fact I'd put 2 HIFLO Dynomax cats between the headers and the FM collector for even greater flow.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the idea. Any others?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:42 AM

ive seen a butch on ebay lately,,dont think they were selling the y's tho.

But im running the cheapest set up i could get its a flowtech and i bought there ypipe too...but you can just buy the headers and get your own ypipe made up cause they give you the flanges to bolt to the headers and weld to the custom ypipe(in with the headers). They are pretty nice, holley makes them and mine fit and sound great. Just retighten the bolts every month or 2 after you get them. I recomend getting the coated ones or sandblasting off there painted ones and coating your own cause my painted ones burned off the first day. But now that has happend i can try some header paint,,,im sure it will burn off to but its worth a try cause its not supposed to. If your not too concerned about looks painted ones are fine. also get a set of wire lomes or make your own cause any wire that touches will burn up in a min nomatter how good they are.

Also hedman makes a set i think too for our car not pos tho.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:14 AM
Banned

I thought SLP has those. I know they did but not sure if they still have them.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by aklim
I thought SLP has those. I know they did but not sure if they still have them.
??? do you mean coated headers?? flowtech sell both caoted and painted.
Frankly i wouldnt buy slp 3rd gen headers i heard they dont even fit in you got to bent them.....plus you gatta give an arm or a leg for them. They are a bit larger I THINK in diam. but not alot. so too me 3 times as much $ for headers i had to mod to fit in my car wasnt very appealing.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Banned

You probably heard wrong. Mine fit with no problem. I even had a bent frame and bent cradle. Took it all out and changed the cradle and frame and replaced it all and life was good. They have 2 sizes 1 5/8 and 1 3/4 depending on your application.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by aklim
You probably heard wrong. Mine fit with no problem. I even had a bent frame and bent cradle. Took it all out and changed the cradle and frame and replaced it all and life was good. They have 2 sizes 1 5/8 and 1 3/4 depending on your application.
Im suspecting you got the smaller ones then and i know i didnt hear wrong cause many ppl said they got there slps hitting the sterring box over at thirdgen.org and other boards...who knows mabey they changed there disign or something,,,or the clearence broblem is only on the 1 3/4???
Old 01-07-2004, 05:13 PM

when i got my Hedman headers for my bday they didnt come w/ a O2 sensor location or AIR hook-ups (o darn). i just got the O2 sensor bung welded in at an exhaust shop and i was set. They are cheap in price and fit great,i have painted mine but my car doesnt run yet so i cant tell u how they look after being run a few days...it will burn away,but nowhere near as fast as the black paint that comes on them. They have a 3" collector and 1 5/8" primary tubes i believe (in the shorty version,not sure on the long tubes) and u have to buy their y-pipe also b/c the stock 1 doesnt work,but it goes right up to the stock converter....i have the single cat.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:18 PM

I run those same Hedman shorties (1 5/8 into 3") and had an O2 bung put in and got them coated. They dropped right in with no problem and I've been very happy with them. I can't vouch for their Y-pipe though, I had my exhaust guy build one.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:04 PM

My TES's fit fine and I have the 1LE oil cooler (which have coolant lines running from the filter). I cut off the AIR fitting and welded the holes up, not very hard.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jcurrieirocz
Im suspecting you got the smaller ones then and i know i didnt hear wrong cause many ppl said they got there slps hitting the sterring box over at thirdgen.org and other boards...who knows mabey they changed there disign or something,,,or the clearence broblem is only on the 1 3/4???
I don't think so. I have the 1 3/4 ones. I used to have Edelbrock TES ones but they were kinda crappy. Rusted easily and the fitting left something to be desired.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:51 PM

shorties are shorties, slps have the price of super comp longtubes and then some. The edelbrocks are nice and they have a 5 yr warranty. Hedmans aren't bad either, but for 180$, the fit and performance of the flowtech shorties are great. They have 2.5" collector, y-pip, and are designed pretty well, and for a motor up to 450 horses, a 2.5" dual setup off the shorties, they will not hurt the horsepower output of the motor. I will probably be buying these for my iroc, and then wrap them. I'm going to be running long tubes on my bird though, because a 500 horse motor, needs more than shorties, and long tubes aree better for the street because they generally increase low end torque by 4-60 lb ft, where as the shorties are better designed for higher end horsepower, but they aren't an equal length, so they don't really help much with scavenging, but the increase in flow and efficiency, are totally worth the money, over the stock leg style manifolds. It really comes down to how much you want to spend, just remember that you should never dent in a primary tube on any headers, if you have to dent them, you send them back and ask for another set, at the companies expense.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Banned

If I am not mistaken, the SLP ones were thicker than the TES ones. I think they were made of 409 SS.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:55 PM

I've talked to alot of guys that have had to dent in some of the primary tubes to make clearance for things, and problems with the ypipe fitting like horse patut, I would buy the edelbrocks coated before I bought the slps, but thats just me.

Quick Reply: headers