3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

alot of problems, but no answers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:27 PM

alot of problems, but no answers.

have an 87 iroc-z with a 5.7L 350. its bored .04 over and has a few internal upgrades. it recently failed emissions and has had a history of surging idle since i bought it in august of 08. it also has a hyper tech chip

what ive replaced:
temp sensor (for guage)
MAF
Plugs
Wires
Coil
O2
EGR
160* T-stat
oil pressure sensor (for guage)

i just did the timing today and its dead on. i noticed the engine runs alot better without the EST plugged in, no surging no dieing. when i plug the EST back in it will surge like crazy and die. it also almost dies when you put it into gear. there's no response from the ecm when i try to scan for codes with the EST unplugged, no DTC's but the ses light is on. plug the EST back in and the SES light goes off.

im really at a loss at this point because it surges like crazy and dies, but theres no SES light. when i started it today it was shaking like crazy like it had a big cam, but went away as it warmed up.

any help will be GREATLY appreciated, and i would like to fix as much as possible before the 20th when i have to go back for emissions. thanks to all.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 PM

you checked for vacuum leaks? what about your IAC?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 PM

What is a few internal upgrades?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM

from what i can see, there arent any vaccum leaks. havnt replaced the iac due to cost. any way to bench test it?

i think the only internal upgrades is that it's bored .04 over and has a slightly larger cam if im not mistaken. i didnt do the work to the car, i bought it that way and they did a horrible job with it.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:15 PM

IAC isn't too expensive, expecially if you pick up a used one. However you can remove it, and scrub the carbon off the IAC pintile and the inside passages. That'll usually clean up the IAC malfunction, if there is any.

Another thing to try is to unplug the ECM and re-plug it. You do the same with the PROM.

Then there is the EST module on the firewall, plus the knock sensor. You should be able to unplug the knock sensor itself to see if EST is tossing a bunch of false timing retard into the system.

Also, when you timed the engine, did you first unplug the ECM from the distributor before setting inititial timing? 8 degrees BTDC is base timing with no ECM advance. When you plug the ECM in, timing should advance another 10 to 20 degrees at idle.

At last resort, buy some used sensors and start swapping them out. MAP, EST module, knock sensor, #165 ECM, they are all pretty cheap these days, especially if you pick them up from one person on thirdgen.org. There's lots of guys on there with that kind of stuff in their junk drawer.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM

i unplugged the balck/tan wire like it says in my manual to set the base timing. under the hood it said about 6 degrees, but its withing 2 degrees.

i did unplug the prom and re-seat it. ill do the ecm tomorrow. and ill unplug the knock sensor from the block and see if there's any change.

oh yeah i forgot to mention that the fan is constantly running on high, no matter the temperature. so i had to unplug the secondary fan relay.

i just put that iac in in before winter, i changed the tb and swapped out the sensors so they are still the same ones.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 PM

Fan on, all the time eh? IIRC, one fan is controlled by the ECM whereas the other is controlled by a thermal switch. Can you determine which one is turning on? If it's the ECM controlled fan, perhaps what you have is a failed ECM!
Old 02-15-2009, 06:55 AM

if your looking into the engine bay towards the front of the motor, its the fan on the right thats always on. i unplugged the relay for the fan on the left because that was always on too
Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ws6transam
Fan on, all the time eh? IIRC, one fan is controlled by the ECM whereas the other is controlled by a thermal switch. Can you determine which one is turning on? If it's the ECM controlled fan, perhaps what you have is a failed ECM!
or a failed relay.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:02 PM

well i think im going to replace the ECM. hopefully it works. so thanks to everyone for your help. if this doesnt work out then ill post back.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 AM

If it does work out, please let us know as well!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:27 PM

well im still waiting on my new ECM, but i have another question that i thought i might as well ask.

theres a 2 pin male plug from my wiring harness hanging down next to my oil filter and i have no clue what it belongs to. nothing looks to be unplugged.

and is there supposed to be a second O2 sensor after the cat on my exhaust?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:47 PM

well i got the new ECM put in today. the fans STILL run constantly. after you stop driving and put it in park, it wont idle, it surges like crazy and then dies.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:53 PM

well i realized that i may have a vacuum leak after all. i just always thought i needed a brake job when i could put the brake pedal on the floor.... but it started building up pressure yesterday. i guess ill have to sort through the vacuum system.... any one know where i can find a diagram?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 PM

Quick Reply: alot of problems, but no answers.