3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

ALL MOTOR and No more computer or electric

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 10:17 PM

ALL MOTOR and No more computer or electric

I have a 305 carborator v-8. Everytime I turn around there is something going wrong with computer, the censors/relays, wiring, it goes on and on. I even had to pay gm $300 smacks for a new cooling sensor! I just want to know if its possible to stripp all the annoying computer censors and have just a motor like the old days! Get rid of all the emissions too! ALL MOTOR and No more computer or electrics? I was planning on striping everthing but the ac/heat, and radio. I was going to replace the computer guages with a mechanical classical design by covas classics. So what I need is a run through of what all I need to do, to achieve my goal? THANKS!
Old 06-25-2004, 11:44 PM

You'd have to put a non-computer controlled carb on it for one...
Old 06-26-2004, 02:02 AM

The first thing you will need is a vacuum advance distributor. Most Chevy trucks had them from 70's to mid 80's. Most likely that same truck will have your carb too, but you can run the CC carb w/o the TPS and MC hooked up until you find another carb.
I did this and quite a few other mods to my old 83 S/E LG4 with no problems.
As far as eliminating all the sensors, well about the only things the ECM can control is the fuel/air mixture, and the advance of the distributor. So by swapping those 2 parts, you are defeating the computer control.
Hope this helps.
BTW, if you haven't already, get rid of that air pump too. The caps you will need are 1/2" pipe caps