3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Aftermarket and swap question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 12:04 PM

Aftermarket and swap question...

Hey guys, ive been doin some searching and readin around the board, but i still have a few questions.

1. im thinking about picking up an 88-92 305 camaro with the 5spd, with the hopes of swapping in the t-56 and either an LS1 or LT1 (just depends on my money situation). now i read that the t-56 needs an extra crossmember because its bigger than the original trans, and that the LT1 wont fit without 'denting' parts of the bay.
a) are there any other clearance issues?
b) how many people have done this?
c) what did u guys do to correct the tach and speedo? did u buy new guages? (i would assume the cluster from a 4th gen would work)
d) anything else that i should be aware of?

2. Are there readily available aftermarket parts, such as gears, suspension, sub frame connectors, sway bars, etc? are they easy to find and where would i get them from?

i kno thats a lot of questions, but thanks in advance to any and all help
Old 06-20-2004, 12:33 PM

ive also heard of a "painless wiring kit" or something to that effect for the swap? can anyone confirm (possibly with a link ) or deny this?
Old 06-20-2004, 06:06 PM
cmc

Speartech Engineering sells a wiring harness for the LS1 swap, but it is not emissions-friendly.

Painless Performance sells a wiring harness for an LS1 street rod swap. This should work pretty well and is the first one I'll be trying this summer.

Third Gen Resource sells an LS1+T56 swap kit sourced from Spohn Engineering. Spohn also sells just about every suspension part you'll need, including a T56 swap kit (same as the one included in the LS1 kit from Third Gen Resource, in case you go LT1) which consists of a replacement transmission crossmember and a replacement torque arm (which mounts to the crossmember now instead of to the trans).

Things of note:
- You will need your original power steering pump (if you wish to keep power steering) and gearbox, as any LT1 or LS1 Camaro will be Rack and Pinion equipped.
- If you wish to have A/C on an LS1, you will need to trim out the front crossmember to fit it. (Should be pics available at Third Gen Resource...)
- For an LT1, all that's required for A/C as far as I know is the Corvette accessory bracket kit.
- You'll need to relocate the brake line that runs across the front crossmember.
- An LS1 in a third gen is the nastiest most awesome thing ever. Kudos.

Edit: Oops. More questions.

OK, I'm only beginning on my swap (if you ask the right people, you'll find that I've been beginning on it for at least a year ...), but to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge:

1a. See above regarding accessories.
1b. Just a few, but growing every year. There are more LT1 swaps than LS1 swaps, but the availability of aftermarket parts is making it easier and easier.
1c. You are correct. I know of at least one guy (from Thirdgen.org) who used an LS1 gauge cluster, but you could just as well make your own gauge cluster with aftermarket gauges and stick it in place of your stock unit.
1d. A lot of hard work, but it will be worth it. Just stick to it and don't let it beat you.

Last edited by cmc; 06-20-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:14 PM

wow.... thats all i can say. thanks for all the great info

ill keep my progress (first step... getting a camaro, heh) updated.