3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

I NEED HELP BAD surging and running like crap problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:14 PM

I NEED HELP BAD surging and running like crap problem

need your help guys!

ok here what ive got,

the car runs terrible once up to temp im thinking which takes it about 5mins from cold start and then the rough surging idle starts, rpm's up and down and almost chokes its self out.....and that all translates to driving around too...car has no power and sputters like its missing or not getting fuel or to much fuel and it hesitates or buck when I try to accelerate

Im stumped!!

I have reset the IAC, TPS, ilde and fuel pressure is at 42'ish ...changed the coolant sensor fuel filter and checked the wires. ive even unplugged the O2 sensor and it does the same thing...
I have noticed i can cold start the car and runs fine but once it gets to a certain temp or point the roughness starts.
I have an AF gauge on my pod and ive noticed sometimes its pegged in the red.....and sometimes its pegged lean....so that why unplgged it to see..
so it acts like that in open or closed loop.....but i noticed it more when it goes from open to closed....that is why i unplugged the O2

I do have tunerpro so i can data log and see whats going on with whatever...but i dont know what im lookin at.

its kinda like once the top radiator hose gets pressure in it is when it start.

could it be the thermostat? my next thing to change will be the fan temp switch and the thermo. the car does not overheat but my fan switch is broken on the passenger side head...so im gonna change that. its even unplugged but im pretty sure that cant be it cause when its plugged in...car does the same.

i dont know what else to check
Old 06-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Administrator

By "fan switch" do you mean the coolant temp sensor?

Have you scanned the computer for codes?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM

no....i already changed the coolant sensor in the intake. Fan switch is the sensor on the passenger head....i have a dual fan setup and that switch runs 1 of the fans when the car reaches a certain temp.

yes ive scanned the computer for codes and get none. The SES light never comes on.

i am so stumped on this!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 PM

i can use TunerPro RT to datalog.......i was told by a friend of mine to unplug the O2 sensor and see if it runs better....it doesnt but i noticed that when i do...TunerPro is still showing me data as if its still plugged it and i can see my "loop Status" going back and forth from OPEN TO CLOSE.

The O2 Sensor shows data and the O2 Cross Counts shows data.

How? if the o2 is unplugged?

i dont know if that has anything to do with anything but i find that strange.

what about the Thermostat? if that not opening could that cause a problem? even if im not showing over heating?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:46 AM

Are you running an egr setup? If so test the valve.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:13 AM

NO...no EGR valve.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:11 AM

change the o2 it will cause those problems but i only seen it on the 4 wire set up. i would chage the o2 for sure there perrty cheap
Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 AM

yeah thats what i was thinking lastnight...LOL...its all i think about. I dont remember if mine is a 3 or 4 wire O2...its heated. i"ll change it today..and see what happens. I can just take it to Advance and they will give me a new one. Somehow i can alway get my stuff replaced for nothing.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:38 PM

I just went through a prob like this. Surging, bad idle etc. Checked everything. Finally found that one of the injectors had became unplugged. Plugged it back in and it was fine.
Hope that helps.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:34 PM

well its wasnt the injector plugs....just went and unsnapped them and made sure they were all snapped back on.
Havent had a chance to try the O2.....now i gotta come up with the money for a new one...cause since ive tried it with the O2 unplgged ....the plug snap got melted to my headers so now....im gonna have to buy a new one...so im pissed about that BUT i guess its about time i buy one cause i havent had to in about 3 years......I just take mine back every 6 months and get a new replacement. THis one only has maybe 500 miles on it...so i cant see it being bad unless it got wet somehow

I dont know.

Its gotta be some easy im over looking....I mean it cant b that many thing to check?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:52 PM

you know what would help out, take ur plugs all out and take a pic and post it so we can see whats going on in the engine.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:00 PM

i"ll do that tomorrow and take a pictures of them all. I just changed them out about a month ago........and i cant remember what i gapped them at.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 AM

Sounds like a bad MAF sensor or o2, try unplugging the MAF to see if it improves a little (or borrow one).

Last edited by Genhero; 06-14-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:58 AM

i was just thinkin?

when i unplugged the O2...shouldnt i have gotten a SES light? or a code? cause i didnt.

also when i unplug the MAF>..im sure i'll get a code...im getting no codes right now.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 AM

I see your not running a EGR valve . Was the EGR removed from your programing of your ecm ? If not that can cause your car to do some major changes trying to see a new EGR reading. Like going lean then rich and also changing the timming up and down .

Quick Reply: I NEED HELP BAD surging and running like crap problem