3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

89 RS Restore & Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM

89 RS Restore & Mod

Hey guys,

In about 3 years, I'll start to restore and mod my current 89 RS. The car currently is in great shape, only needs some body work and fresh paint. I figured I'd just keep the car in perfect working order until I no longer use it as my DD and then begin to work on it with a competent mechanic. I'm in the planning phase of my restore, so I won't be doing anything to the car anytime soon.

I'm going to restore most of the car to factory original condition. This will be mainly the exterior and interior of the car.

As far as mods go, I'm looking to mod the following areas:

Chassis
Suspension
Drivetrain
Brakes
Engine

My car is an 89 RS with a TBI 305 engine (LO3) and a automatic transmission (700r4). I apparently can't attach my parts list, yet the file is available upon request.

Starting with the chassis, I just want to stiffen it up and make it last longer.

I want to make the suspension more aggressive and geared a little more toward Auto Cross, yet be really great for DD.

The drivetrain will be all new: rear axle with 3.xx gear, driveshaft, and a street/strip 700R4 transmission to allow for possible after this project mods. I want the drivetrain to be an upgrade from the current 2.73 gear that has comparable DD characteristics, yet allow for better performance and some Auto Cross.

I want to go to a 4 disk brake system. I'll be using SLP ZR-1 17"x8" wheels and a Baer Brakes Sport brake system. I'm not really sure on what makes up a braking system, so suggestions/advice on the parts needed for such a system would help.

Finally, I want to overhaul the engine. I figured since I'm going to be cleaning it up, why not bolt on some HP. I'd like to go to all forged internals, better heads, headers, intake, fuel, ignition, computer, cam, and semi-dual exhaust. My goal HP and Torque after mods is around 300hp and 300ft/lbs torque.

Also, I'm going to strip the AIR Pump and EGR system off the engine, so a computer overhaul is required. I've made some head way on figuring out what is required to do this, but I'm still lost on what some of the components are.
As it currently stands, I need help on picking out better fuel and computer systems.

I'm going to be using all forged internals so that the engine is more durabel, yet would allow for a future FI system if I should decide I want one.

Any and all help is appreciated. I'm not going to be doing anything to my car soon, other than taking care of the body and minor repairs. However, I'd like to get a solid plan laid down before I go restoring my car.

I'm quite a new guy to the car world and would like any advice, info, input, and ideas you all might have. Also, if you all want more info on what's in my car, let me know and I'll update my post.

Last edited by 89_Rally_Sport; 08-12-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 AM

post some pics
Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM

Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM

Use this link to get to my most recent parts list. I have it in the first post of the thread:

http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6810