3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

89 Camaro RS Stalls when making turns

Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 PM

Angry 89 Camaro RS Stalls when making turns

Im having this problem that just started lately. Every time I'm turning the corner the cars putters and seems like its about to stall and sometimes it does. So does any one know what this problem might be because its getting really annoying.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 PM

Sounds like it could be a problem with your fuel pump. I've had a similar situation happen with a car a couple years back and that's exactly what it was. Unfortunately, I don't know how you could test the theory. Maybe someone else will chime in?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 AM

What engine do you have?
Does it happen only when you turn the wheel to max?
Does it happen with a full tank of gas?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 PM

its a 305 5.0 v8 and it happens when I turn it to make or just making a regular turn. But when I put more Fuel in the car it dont happen untill probably about a quarter tank or a little less then the problem happens, if that helps any
Old 08-09-2010, 10:37 PM

If it happens with emptier tank, I would strongly suspect the filtering sock fell off on the pickup tube. The only way to find out is to drop the tank which is about 4 hours of work.

Lou
Old 08-10-2010, 09:22 PM

well that dont sound to fun. Is there any way that the codes can pull up anything that might be the problem? I Havent really figured out how to do it yet, I have the key tho to get the codes just not sure where it goes
Old 08-10-2010, 09:47 PM

Tech article on code retreival here:
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=27

If you lose fuel pressure, you normally won't get a code, these old Chevy's are not equipped to check fuel pressure or fuel flow.
But occasionally you could see a lean O2 code.

If you can put a fuel gauge on your fuel line and mount it where you can see it while driving (NOT in the cab, that's a big no-no), you could verify this suspicion by watching the pressure while driving around a corner with a nearly empty tank. TBI engines use fuel pressure in the 9-11psi range so a gauge rated at 15psi or higher will suffice (usually a few dollars at a car parts store). And a plastic "tee" fitting, some rubber hose and hose clamps.

Hope this helps.
Lou
Old 08-15-2010, 12:39 AM

This is normal and the solution is to not let your fuel get that low. Fill up at half tank. The gauges on these cars aren't very good to begin with, I once ran out of gas in my 91 RS and it still said I had 1/4 tank left so I'm betting you have less gas in there than you think. You're letting your fuel level get dangerously low, don't do it.

I don't think hou have a baffled fuel tank. I think only the Z28s or maybe only the 1LE cars had baffled tanks early on, then by the time 91-92 came around they all got them.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 AM

the sending uniots in these cars are not accurate as we all want them to be. i have had many 3rd gens and most of them had a sending unit issue. you can cut a trap door to help remove the pump and look in the tank to make sure nothing is preventing fuel from entering the pump. its definitly in the tank issue. and it could be as easy as a sending unit and your running with very low fuel.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 PM

I will second the notion that it is a sending unit issue. My lt1 swapped car had a bad one and I had to figure out the amount of fuel i had by counting miles and not relying on a gauge. Its much easier to cut the hole in the floor for a trap door on these cars. If not, you will be there forever trying to figure out how to get the filler neck out of the car completely.

Dustin
Old 08-27-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by DarkshoT
This is normal and the solution is to not let your fuel get that low. Fill up at half tank. The gauges on these cars aren't very good to begin with, I once ran out of gas in my 91 RS and it still said I had 1/4 tank left so I'm betting you have less gas in there than you think. You're letting your fuel level get dangerously low, don't do it.

I don't think hou have a baffled fuel tank. I think only the Z28s or maybe only the 1LE cars had baffled tanks early on, then by the time 91-92 came around they all got them.
Correct. This is a common problem in all 3rd gens (hence the creation of the 1LE baffled tank....it was needed when the cars would race and corner with semi low fuel).

Being an 89 RS, you won't have the baffled tank. It was 1LE only until around 1990-91. At that point, GM supposedly started putting it in all the 3rd gens no matter what model. (only 1 part number from that point on and it was the same part number as the earlier 1LE tank)......But there still seems to be a randomness to the baffled tanks. Like you might find one in a '90 but not a '92. Or a '92 but not a '90. You might find one in a Formula but not in a Trans Am. It's weird that way.

I've seen the gas gauge go down by a 1/4 just by stepping on the brake. (I don't have the baffled tank)..... If you're at 1/4th driving down the street and take a moderately sharp corner or brake, it's quite possible to starve the fuel and get that gas tank whine sound. Not much you can do but keep the gas tank filled up higher.

The baffled gas tanks were somewhat better. But not as great as you'd think. Here's a picture of one below. The fuel sock sits in the plastic tank in the center. A non baffled tank would still have the metal ring, but not the plastic bucket.

Name:  bathtub2.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  15.8 KB