3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

87 Iroc sputters When I Accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 PM

87 Iroc sputters When I Accelerate

Ok so i been working on this car .1987 Camaro Iroc Z28.--305--5.0L--Manual trans.My brother and I finally got the car running good but had to change alot of parts Including Full tuneup. I had a bright Idea to clean the MAf. I did use Crc maf cleaner to spray it. put back together and now the car sputters alot .Most noticeable on first second and third.The car Idels fine and on fourth and fifth gears is runs good.When car is on idel if I unplug the MAF connector the car dies and codes.Do you guys think I killed the MAf just from cleaning it.Or should I be looking into something else. Maybe a relay? befoer i try a new MAF? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 PM

Re: 87 Iroc sputters When I Accelerate

Try starting it and running it with the MAF already disconnected. See if it runs any better
Old 07-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Car runs abut the same. just a bit better.I did the Tap test on the MAf.and it checks out good.Anything else to check besides sprk plugs and or cap and rotor again?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:25 AM

could be the relay. one is a power relay ad the other is the burn off relay both are on the dr side of the booster. the fuel pump should be a bit more square than the maf relays. you can tell which one is what by sticking your hand on the tops and feel them click as they do their thing.

the FP will be the first to click when you turn the car on and the power relay should be the second and after the car has been running a spell the burn off will click a sec or 2 after the car is turned off.

but first off, check your codes and go from there.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:56 PM

My 86 did that when my fuel pump was on its way out. I'd start with the fuel pressure cause its easy to check.

The pump would run and hold pressure, but if you gave it gas it couldn't keep the volume up. So it would go up to 42 at idle, but if you blipped the throttle it would drop to around 17 and spit and sputter. Driving around you'd could cruise but every once in a while you'd feel a random miss, but forget about punching it.

Good Luck
Old 08-13-2011, 11:51 AM

Hey quick> do you know if the Maf power relay and the fuel pump relay is the same part number relay or are they a totally diffrent relay? I changed the fuel filter the car runs the same.Next Im going to change the puel pump.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:30 PM

the fuel pump relay is different than the MAF relay. the burn off relay and the power relay are the same.

Originally Posted by ungladiador68
Hey quick> do you know if the Maf power relay and the fuel pump relay is the same part number relay or are they a totally diffrent relay? I changed the fuel filter the car runs the same.Next Im going to change the puel pump.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:47 PM

did you clean the IAC ?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 PM

No i have not tired that yet.Im not even sure i know where that is.I would have to look at the manual , is there a certain way to clean?

thanks
Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by ungladiador68
No i have not tired that yet.Im not even sure i know where that is.I would have to look at the manual , is there a certain way to clean?

thanks
go to the parts store and get the 3M throttle body cleaner. unhook your throttle cables, your IAC and TPS. the IAC and TPS are on the front pas side of the TB (throttle body). also there are 2 hoses in this area, they are 2 diff sizes so there is only one way they can go back on.while you are there this would be a great time to do the TB bypass. it dosent do much or if anything for HP but it dang sure makes removing the TB waaaay easier and cleaner. you will need a 1%u00BD-2 in piece of pipe to connect the 2 hoses that attach to the TB.

obviously remove the intake ducting that goes on the front of the TB and then remove the 4 bolts that hold the TB to the plenum. after they are out the TB should come off. there is 1 small plastic hose under the TB, it pops off. dont forget this when you put things back together or you will have a vac leak and it'll run weird till its replaced.

unscrew the IAC from the TB and remove the port it screws into. hit the IAC pental with the 3M cleaner and hte port it came out of. use an old tooth brush also. dont scrub hard on the IAC at all, just more or less brush "at" it.
spray down the rest of the TB and dry it after your done. put a small amount of grease or something on the pental shaft, it dosent take much. also lube the throttle shaft and spring area on the TB. wipe away the extra.

then screw everything back together in the way you removed it. this shouldnt take more tan 30 mins or so to do this.

if ya need any help Big Bad Lou or someone can point ya back in the right direction.

oh, be careful and dont bump the TPS sensor, it is set to a certain Mv
(milivolt). its not gonna go out of speck by handeling it but dont bang it around or hard bumps.