3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

3rd gen suspension vs. 4th gen set up...which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 05:50 PM

Question 3rd gen suspension vs. 4th gen set up...which is better?

I'm battling with myself if I should do the coil over conversion on my car. I know the coil over set up is alittle lighter. But for taking turns which set up is atcually better? the 3rd gen design with the seperate strut and spring? Or the 4th gen set up with the spring on the strut? (note: if I stay with the 3rd gen set up i'm going to be putting tubular a arms)
Old 01-13-2003, 09:42 PM

There was a long discussion not long ago about handling. Stock for stock the consesus was that the 3rd gen handled better. Of course a 3rdgens suspension would be a little more worn down than a 4th gen, but it's a close call.

I can honestly say that my 3rd gen handles better than my 4th. As far as which suspension setup is better, I don't know, but I did tell you what I do know.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:25 PM

3rd gens are lower stock than 4th gens are. At least I thought so, having owned both at one time.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:41 AM

3rd gens handle better then 4th gens. but thats back when a 3rd gen was new and same goes for a 4th gen. id have to say if u wanted better handeling in a 3rd gen ud have to get all new stuff to be the same or better then a newer 4th gen.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:53 AM

The 3rd gens handle better than 4th gens thing is a myth. Having owned both, I am not biased to one or the other being better. But I will say this. 1. No way GM spend all that money to change the 4th gen front suspension if it made the car worse of a performer. 2. the rear suspensions are identical, so that's a wash. 3. The 4th gen's upper and lower A-arm setup in the front is just flat out superior to the MacPherson strut fronts of the 3rd gen. 4. The 4th gen's rack& pinion steering mechanism is much quicker to respond to driver's inputs that the 3rd gen's pitman arm/drag link setup.

Having said all that, probably most drivers would not be able to tell a difference between the two since they are so similar. Street driving and track driving are totally different things but I can say with confidence the 4th gen cars handle better, all else being equal.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:31 AM

I have an 89 gta trans am,my friend has a 99 trans am. at turns i've taken at over a hundred with no problems,my friends car always seems like the *** end is gonna swing out,it just doesn't feel the same as my car

Hope this helps
roger
Old 01-14-2003, 12:16 PM

thanks guys for your help. I've decided that imma just stick with the 3rd gen mcphearson set up instead of converting to coil over. Since I already have ground controls weight jack system and all that. Imma just pick up some tubular a arms.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:10 PM

actually 3rd gens ARE better then 4th gens in handleing. im sure if u do a search on this topic u will see its been discussed before. I remember a few people saying that the had some old car and driver/hotrod mag's and the 3rd gens did better then 4th gens.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:18 PM

FYI -- There is a thread on this exact subject in the roadrace/autocross section right now.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:42 PM

My friends who hate my 85 z28 are convinced my other friends 1980 camaro handles better... HA I Have driven the thing and the 80 handles like a truck compared to mine... Then again they said this 80 camaro could outhandle a porsche

As far as 3rd and 4th gen I say if it is so debateable then WHO CARES... Although I have mainly heard the 3rd gens handle better but the 4th gens brake way better...
Old 01-14-2003, 07:48 PM

They are very similar, I have had 2 IROC and two 3rd gen Formulas.

I have also had a 1994 T/A and now have a 1996 Formula.

With all being equal the 3rd gen may ride harder but it doesn't handle better.

Keep in mind most 3rd gens use larger sway bars too.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:10 PM

Skidpad.

Third Gen Iroc: .89 g
Forth Gen: .88 g.

So I remember at least. Big difference there ya know, .01 g.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:39 AM
Eternal Member

Smile

I have a 87 IROC and a 96 WS6 Formula. The IROC is tighter and less body roll than the WS6. The WS6 has a better ride. Both my cars are like new and can tell you they are like night and day in the ride dept. They are both great cars but if I had to drive from here to Cali I would take the WS6. As was said the IROC does have a better skid pad rating but does not have as good a ride as the 4th gen. The 96 and 97 SS Camaro had about the same ride as the IROC's but the WS6 had a little softer suspension. The 98 SS suspension was changed to the same as the WS6 because people were complaining to much about the ride. I have the mag article were they tell this.

Last edited by Chris Ja; 01-16-2003 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:10 AM

The macpherson strut design isn't as bad as a lot of the 4th gen guys say it is. Porsche uses it on the 911, and we all know that a 4th gen isn't going to outhandle a 911. Of course, that doesn't mean much in regards to thirdgen handling, but my point is a properly set up macpherson system is very capable.

So why does a thirdgen outhandle a 4thgen? It's sprung FAR more stiffly, and the car weighs less. The 4th gen handles very well, and actually has a tolerable ride quality. The thirdgen rides like a dump truck, but because of it, is capable of outhandling a 4th gen stock for stock.

Remember that an 85 IROC was capable of skidpad numbers of .90.... this is back in 85, on 16" wheels with tire technology that's approaching 20 years old. No stock 4thgen could pull skidpad numbers that high even with 17" modern rubber. Skidpad numbers aren't everything, but it does give insight toward the vehicle's capabilities. Slap 4th gen wheels & rubber onto a thirdgen and the numbers will get even better.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:00 AM

Having both in the family; the '90 in my sig, and my significant other's '00 SS, I will say that there is a difference. We've owned them both since new so age/condition of the vehicle wasn't and isn't an issue.

Off the showroom floor the SS with 17s would hold an advantage over my IROC when new with 16s. My '90 now has poly bushings, Edelbrock springs and Koni Reds with the orginal OE 16s and 245/50/16s. Not really a major difference over stock, but more of an update on the suspension.

Now they are in a dead heat where which is better is more of a matter of preference. Before or after the upgrade of suspension the '90 IMO remains more "flingable" and feels lighter and more nimble. The still stock SS feels heavier, but more planted and less likely to swap ends. Like when all original, the '90 still gets more upset with rough surfaces that the SS is more forgiving over. The SS seems to be more compliant and doesn't beat you to death like the '90 will. The SS seems better glued to together and more rigid. Even before the mods I didn't notice any superiority of the SS's rack and pinion.

As far as skidpad numbers...they don't really tell the true story. We all know that different skidpads generate different numbers, or different days with dfferent temps will make a difference at the same skidpad...

I feel that GM with the 4th gen was able to improve upon the already good, but sometimes no-compromising handling characteristics of the 3rd gen.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen suspension vs. 4th gen set up...which is better?