3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

1987 iroc needs help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Unhappy 1987 iroc needs help

hi i need help. not much on resources or smarts. i drive a 1987 iroc with a 305 tpi and a 5 speed man tranny. i drove to work the other night and car ran fine. went out the next morn after work got in started it up and it ran like crap didnt want to idle sputterd around died alot. finally after some help with some throttle was able to start home after got going it ran ok not great unless got caught at a light or romp down on the throttle it would sputter. no check engine light, oil pressure ok, volts and temp ok. got it home and first thought was maybe bad fuel drained fuel changed filter ran some fresh fuel with fuel aditive. no great help.. checked codes and got 12,24,42,44.
tried a new comp got rid of codes but still runs like crap. have checked all hoses, fuses, belts, wires and connections that i can find.. in need of help .. like i said not alot of resources and not alot of smarts about this kind of thing so far its mainley been me and my chiltons book help
Old 06-23-2007, 06:48 PM

I had that happen. One time it was the computer and the other time it was, believe it or not, my catalytic conv. was clogged up. I replaced it and the car ran great.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:20 PM

before you go putting more money into it check your egr valve-reach in and hit it with something or pull it out and see if there is carbon stuck in it holding it open
Old 06-24-2007, 08:35 AM

Unhappy

can you check a cataleticc conv any way? i can feel exhaust coming out of the exhaust pipe apparently ok it doesnt feel any less??????? the egr valve,, is it the valve sitting ontop of the intake manifold and do i have to take off the throttle body intake to get to it????????? like i said not much on smarts and low on resources
Old 06-24-2007, 11:56 PM

you can check converter but the symtom you have probably won't be that if you do have throttle body you also have iac valve(idle air control valve on side of throttle body that will also do similar problem as egr and egr valve is on intake beside throttle body--you can tap on iac valve also and see if it frees up
Old 06-26-2007, 03:36 PM

Sounds like the EGR valve to me. Its the circle silver thing under the upper plenum towards the middle. Pull the vacuum line off and cap both ends and see if that helps.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:41 PM

hey roy send me a pm I may be able to assist ya.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:57 AM

I had a similar problem with my 87 iroc. lets see i replaced the MAF, IAC, TPS, Fuel pump. i didn't replace it all at the same time just what the ecm codes showed but i still had proformance issues. I replaced the IAC which isn't detectable to trouble codes which helped out on my erractic idle then i was still dealing with mid throttle hestation and leaning out on the top so i replaced the fuel pump which also doesn't produce a trouble code. now it runs awsome. the ECM will not tell you everything wrong on the cars just some emissions sensors.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 AM

Heres a site for suture reference of the trouble codes Roy:
http://www.iroczone.com/specs/TroubleCodes.htm

Heres another section to help you clean that IAC valve that could cause part of the problem:
http://www.iroczone.com/articles.asp
Old 06-29-2007, 04:31 PM

Unhappy

mr wolf i assume u mean prev. maint. aside from oil changes filter changes or cleanings tightening or replacing hoses repairs as needed such as new rear-end new clutch not much else.. could my timing chain have slipped?? a shade tree mech told me i should pull my timing cover and check my timming chain and gears..... what is your thoughts on this ???? is this something u think i can do myself with the aid of my chiltons book.. im not too mech stupid just how and why an engine works how it does... does my symptoms sound like that could be the problem?????????? any help thanks:
Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 PM

I don't think you jump the timing there is no tensioner. and if you did it would strip all the teflon teeth from the cam sprocket and won't run at all. check your timing aswell don't forget the brown wire on the fire wall.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by bigdaddyvu
I don't think you jump the timing there is no tensioner. and if you did it would strip all the teflon teeth from the cam sprocket and won't run at all. check your timing aswell don't forget the brown wire on the fire wall.

Ummmm dude,this isnt some Honduh or whatever your talking about...Chevy V8's dont use teflon cam gears and never have...they are metal,as well as the timing CHAIN.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 PM

yeah they do. how come chevy mentioned it in there manufacturing my T/A came factory with a aluminum sprocket with telfon coat teeth. improving valve train noise. every chevy dude knows that.

Last edited by bigdaddyvu; 07-02-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:31 AM

don't know about 4th gen v-8's but gm had plastic teeth on all their timing chains from factory the teeth always broke off and filled up the oil pick-up screen and if car still ran without finding that you lost oil pressure and blew bearings---
Old 07-03-2007, 08:29 AM

Have you adjusted your valves in a while? I had a 305 in my firebird, and it ran like crap, I changed a lot of stuff with no results. I finally tried to readjust my valves, and then it ran fine.

Quick Reply: 1987 iroc needs help