2016+ Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and General Discussion All 2016+ 6th Gen Camaro news, photos, videos, and General Dsicussion

The new 2.0L Turbo Camaro is gonna surprise

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Cool The new 2.0L Turbo Camaro is gonna surprise

Hey guys! I was invited out to the Media drive and launch event for the 2.0L Turbo Camaro, as well as the Convertible 6th Gen model. I was able to spend some time with both cars on the open road, as well as the race track.

The first thing I noticed about the Turbo Camaro is how light and nimble it feels. According to Al Oppenheiser, Camaro's Chief Engineer, the car weighs in at 3,339 lbs. Serious weight reduction for the 6th Gen Camaro. (The V6 model comes in at 3,435 lbs and the V8 model comes in at 3,685 lbs).

Our comparison test on the track was to start with a 5th Gen V6 car - then they put us in a 2016 Mustang Turbo car - then we drove the 2.0L Turbo Camaro (both Auto and Manual). I believe the advertised HP for the Turbo Camaro is around 275HP and 295 ft lb tq. The acceleration felt very similar between the Mustang and Camaro. What set the two models apart was the handling of the Camaro. On the track, the Camaro handled a lot better. It felt a lot tighter coming into the corners. I felt I had a lot easier time maneuvering the car in general.

The second part of the day was to take a 90 mile trip in the desert to Death Valley. I drove a 2.0L Turbo Camaro there, and a 2016 Camaro SS Convertible on the way back. I will not lie, I took my time with the Convertible. The open road experience, in the middle of seemingly nowhere, in the brand new Vert was peaceful. The operation of the top can be controlled by your key fob, or you can put it down while your driving - as long as your going 30mph or under. No more is there any extra work to cover up the top area in the back with buttoning anything down.

Here is a video I shot on the track with the Lead Engineer on the Camaro. Hope you enjoy and let me know if you have any questions about either of the cars I drove.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Re: The new 2.0L Turbo Camaro is gonna surprise

I put up a Vlog of the event if you would like to see how it was:

Old 03-17-2016, 10:40 PM

Re: The new 2.0L Turbo Camaro is gonna surprise

Only thing that matters is how much bigger of a turbo can you put in it till things start breaking.