2010 - 2015 Camaro Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Discussion for 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Wheels | Tires | Brakes | Suspension

[Brakes] Wheel weights on the calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 PM

Wheel weights on the calipers

Can anyone figure this one out. Two different 2010 Camaros have been documented to have this so far. Any Idea why?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

That's interesting. Those are pics of CTF or pre-production cars, right?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:49 AM

thats strange. its not even a moving part. there is no need for it to be balanced.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

Ah...unless they are only being stored there...to be used on the wheel later when needed? Kind of a thin explanation, but the only one I can think of now.

When I had custom wheels made on my 2002 Camaro, I carried a spare set of wheel weights in the glove box.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
That's interesting. Those are pics of CTF or pre-production cars, right?
nope, first pic is a delivered customer car, the second is the dealers car for the showroom.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:33 PM

This is turning into a big stink all around the net.

Unbelieveable.

Such a minor detail and all of the Vultures are squawking.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by CaminoLS6
This is turning into a big stink all around the net.

Unbelieveable.

Such a minor detail and all of the Vultures are squawking.
That's funny. I specifically came to this board for the first time because i knew there'd be excuses and whining instead of

I mean seriously, wheel weights stuck on brembo brakes inside of wide open spoke 20" rims doesn't strike you in the least bit as hilarious and pathetic and weird? It's almost art in its ability to evoke so many emotions.

Perhaps that explains it. They are there as a new type of entertainment / viral marketing. No such thing as bad publicity after all right?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Admin Emeritus

Man, I can't believe people are making a huge deal out of this. It is one of those minor things that probably doesn't mean anything. There a lot that goes into building a car, and sometimes things happen with one intention but makes no sense to the consumer.

I am sure there is a very very simple and reasonable explanation. I am not going to even worry about it until there is actually something to worry about. I mean...honestly...if factually there is no reason for them to be there, just remove them.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM

Wait until I take it in to have my calipers balanced and rotated......
Old 04-23-2009, 08:53 AM

Just found this at Jalopnik. Punks.

http://jalopnik.com/5222908/2010-che...-brake-weights
Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 AM

Man, I can't believe people are making a huge deal out of this. It is one of those minor things that probably doesn't mean anything. There a lot that goes into building a car, and sometimes things happen with one intention but makes no sense to the consumer.

I am sure there is a very very simple and reasonable explanation. I am not going to even worry about it until there is actually something to worry about. I mean...honestly...if factually there is no reason for them to be there, just remove them.

No big surprise, people are stupid - and they get all worked up over non-issues all the time.

The most plausible story I've seen so far is that some squealing had been noticed (presumably on the CTF cars) and this quick fix solved it. The final aspect being that Brembo is supplying revised calipers now.

If anything, people should be applauding GM's attention to detail (and this is a most minor detail), instead of getting their panties in a bunch over nothing.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Admin Emeritus

Okay, here's the official statement on this from John Fitzpatrick:

Some early Camaro customers noticed that there are weights on the Camaro SS calipers. With high-performance vehicles like the Camaro SS, minor brake noise is not uncommon. The weights act as a damper to reduce noise in certain driving conditions. This was done after careful evaluation and validation by our engineering team. These weights will only be added to early builds of the Camaro SS.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, here's the official statement on this from John Fitzpatrick:
Interesting. Hopefully owners of such cars won't have issues with the adhesive failing (or worse, the lead melting) in high-temperature conditions like Jalopnik suggested is possible.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Banned

only early models..... so its a bandaid?

Like the front lower control arm mounts when the first trail blazers came out.... and they were busted off the delivery truck?

wonder what else got bandaided.... they only had 7 years to develop it.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:07 AM

kind of a weird fix for a problem. what if it falls off? youll have a bad noise?

Quick Reply: [Brakes] Wheel weights on the calipers