2010 - 2015 Camaro Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Discussion for 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Wheels | Tires | Brakes | Suspension

[Tires] Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tires.......

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tires.......

ive been doing some research for tires for my new wheels when they come, and i came across these Vredestein tires. has anyone ever heard anything with this company? i have heard alot of good things in some of the reviews, but i didnt know if anyone has any first hand experience with these? they are very reasonably priced. i can geta complete set of 22" 265/30 front and 295/25 rear for 900.00. i have seen that they are used on the european model of bmw and mercedes. so they cant really be that bad....can they? any help will help.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 PM

Are they ultra soft? Might be why they are so cheap?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM

i have no idea. all the responses that i have seen, they say it handles very well. better than some pirelli and good years. good years are a soft tire, yet very expensive. so are pirellis. they are soft and expensive. i was watching a whole video on youtube about this company and this tire in general. its pretty impressive. i think their just cheap because they arent one of the major name brands. just because michelin tires are so expensive, doesnt mean they cost that much. its just a tire thats been around and deserved its reputation and the price you have to pay for it. these tires have been around, but not in the states. im just wanting to see if anyone has any first hand experience with this brand.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

A while ago, one of the car magazines (I think it was Motor Trend?) ran a comparison in which they did put a race car driver behind the wheel and had him do laps around a high-speed oval in Europe, using a ZR1, a Ferrari, and a couple of other similarly fast supercars. Two of the cars used Michelins, and two didn't.

The two cars that used Michelins did fine and layed down some impressive numbers. The two that did not use Michelins (one Bridgestone and one Pirelli, IIRC) both experienced high speed tire failures that would have been catastrophic if it weren't for the expert driver. From this, I conclude that Michelin makes the best high-performance tires in the world, hands down.

One review I found mentioned that the Vredesteins are lighter than equivalent Michelins. That's a red flag for me. If this tire is lighter (especially if it's more than 10% lighter), then something is missing, and that concerns me.

I expect that your car will never see the speeds and loads that you get doing 200mph around a high-speed oval, but still... that's just not something I'd fool around with. Tires are the most important variable in automotive performance and safety. For me, it's Michelins or nothing on my Camaro (and any other fast car I may own in the future).

You just spent $35k+ on a car... don't skimp on the tires.

Just IMO.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM

My tire criteria is based on compound for at least reasonable wear and stability. Has to be a zr rated tire because I do frequently find the top end. I don't drive it in the rain, it is a hard driven fair weather machine. Performance to suit my driving style. I actually like a little taller side wall. I've found it's easier for me to catch a potential break away, or even if it does get loose with a little more flex. I wont mount a 30 and don't like 35's either. New tires are also not as fun although my pockets are not deep enough to shave my tires and toss a couple hundred away on a set of new tires.
I do agree don't buy a tire because it's a bargain unless your out to leave them in bleach clouds.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:02 AM

im not buying tires just because thier cheap. i did the research on the tire and then saaw how cheap they were after reading about them. there are only so many companies that make a 22" performance tire. Nitto,continental, pirelli, nexan(not really performance in my book),falken and this company. nitto was one i was concidering, but dont think i like them that much to buy thier tires. so continental was my first choice and then this company. continental tires were the conti sport 2. they were very reasonably priced. i think i can get those for 950 for the set.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
A while ago, one of the car magazines (I think it was Motor Trend?) ran a comparison in which they did put a race car driver behind the wheel and had him do laps around a high-speed oval in Europe, using a ZR1, a Ferrari, and a couple of other similarly fast supercars. Two of the cars used Michelins, and two didn't.

The two cars that used Michelins did fine and layed down some impressive numbers. The two that did not use Michelins (one Bridgestone and one Pirelli, IIRC) both experienced high speed tire failures that would have been catastrophic if it weren't for the expert driver. From this, I conclude that Michelin makes the best high-performance tires in the world, hands down.

One review I found mentioned that the Vredesteins are lighter than equivalent Michelins. That's a red flag for me. If this tire is lighter (especially if it's more than 10% lighter), then something is missing, and that concerns me.

I expect that your car will never see the speeds and loads that you get doing 200mph around a high-speed oval, but still... that's just not something I'd fool around with. Tires are the most important variable in automotive performance and safety. For me, it's Michelins or nothing on my Camaro (and any other fast car I may own in the future).

You just spent $35k+ on a car... don't skimp on the tires.

Just IMO.
i understand what your saying there, but , you havent really given me any reason NOT to go with these tires. all you really said was they were 10% lighter and you dont know why. sure it could be a bad thing if we knew the reason they were lighter. but we dont. im not trying to go cheap on the tires. these tires just got my attention after i found all this info aboutthem. there was a 10 minute long video on youtube from Vredestein telling about the tires and all the design and testing that has gone into them. i really understand you, but i havent heard anything bad about them. or for that fact anything good, except that they are lighter for some reason.

every tire company starts outthe same way. from the bottom. they have to earn their name and work their way to the top with the current big boys, to get any kind of respect in the perf tire industry. i cant count them out yet, because of this logic.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:55 PM

i have a set of these tires on my 98 formula(275/45 r17) and i love them! i have had many set of tires and none handle like these do. they are affordable and handle amazing. u dont have to pay 300 hundred a tire to justify performance. i researched these tires for months before buying and found a lot of modified vettes and other cars were running them. Tire ware is great and no road noise. i will be getting another set once these are finished.dont be scared by the price, they are an amazing tire.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SilverLS1
i have had many set of tires and none handle like these do.
Just for comparison's sake, of the other tires you've owned, what was the best?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 PM

i have owned pirelli's, goodyear's, nitto's and some others. dont get me wrong, im not saying that these tires are the best thing sence sliced bread, but for my style of driving they are an outstanding tire for the price. i am an aggresive driver but i dont autocross or anything. im sure they have their down points, i just have not found anything that turns me off on them yet...just my 2 cents
Old 06-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SilverLS1
i have owned pirelli's, goodyear's, nitto's and some others.
Can you be at all specific? All of those companies make a wide range of tires, some with great traction, and others with not so great traction.

I don't mean to be a pain, but if the Goodyears you had were Gatorbacks, that's an entirely different claim than if they were GS-D3s.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:59 AM

I'm interested in this retort.....I think he was probably comparing,"gators" not F1's?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM

well from what i was reading the Vredestein beat out pirelli, michelin, dunlop, and goodyear in a performance test. there is only one tire from this company that i have see and it is the sessanta. its a performance tire. and when comparing tires to other tires, normally you compare them in the same class. just like cars. you wouldnt compare a 0-60 in a camaro to the 0-60 in a landrover.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

You've obviously sold yourself on the Vredesteins regardless of anything you may hear against them or for other brands, so just go ahead and get them. Then you can decide for yourself and let us know whether they were worth the money or not.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
well from what i was reading the Vredestein beat out pirelli, michelin, dunlop, and goodyear in a performance test. there is only one tire from this company that i have see and it is the sessanta. its a performance tire. and when comparing tires to other tires, normally you compare them in the same class. just like cars. you wouldnt compare a 0-60 in a camaro to the 0-60 in a landrover.
You'd be surprised at how many people make inappropriate comparisons. I met a guy at a car show once that said that the 2003 Dodge Stratus R/T (200hp V6 with a 5-speed manual) was no good because it wasn't as fast as his uncle's supercharged Saleen Mustang (also, he made this comparison based on the highest number displayed on the speedometer, and not based on actual top speeds).

People put all kinds of tires on Camaros. Snow tires, all-seasons, mid-level summer-only tires, max-performance summer tires, autocross tires, drag tires.

Some people would surely say that a Mickey Thompson E/T Drag slick is the best tire they've ever had on their Camaro. However, that's not relevant to your search for a good street tire.

I've had three tires on my Camaro: two different BFGoodrich, and one Goodyear. The Goodyears were by far the best. I'm telling you that there's no useful information in that claim (which is in the same style as the claim made by SilverLS1). You need the details.

The two BFGs were all-seasons (g-Force TA KDWS and g-Force Super Sport) and the Goodyears were summer-only Eagle F1 GS-D3s.

So, these Vredesteins are summer-only max-performance tires, and what I'm trying to determine is whether SilverLS1's claim is based on a comparison against other similar tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Tires] Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tires.......