2010 - 2015 Camaro Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Discussion for 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Wheels | Tires | Brakes | Suspension

[Tires] A little help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM

A little help?

I am going to be looking for someone that paints or anodizes wheels. If you know someone,please also let me know how well you know their work,and quality?
THANKS!
Greg
Old 06-04-2009, 03:03 PM

any paint shop should be able to paint wheels.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

Just curious, why do you want anodizing? It is not very durable from what I am told.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:48 PM

In the last 15 years I've seen four sets of rims painted at reputable paint shops. Two of the four looked like dung,none of them lasted longer then four years. My experience with anodizing in the early 70's,I raced BMX in California and had several sets of anodized rims that the finishes were bullet proof. I just thought anodizing would be the way to go? I remember hearing some 5-10 years ago there is a different process of using electrolosis sp? that creates a more durable paint surface for wheels?
Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by z71collector
In the last 15 years I've seen four sets of rims painted at reputable paint shops. Two of the four looked like dung,none of them lasted longer then four years. My experience with anodizing in the early 70's,I raced BMX in California and had several sets of anodized rims that the finishes were bullet proof. I just thought anodizing would be the way to go? I remember hearing some 5-10 years ago there is a different process of using electrolosis sp? that creates a more durable paint surface for wheels?
Let me rephrase...I was told that powerdercoating is more durable than anodizing. That is what I was told anyway.

Reputable paint shops don't put out items that look like dung.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 PM

Let me re re phrase, They looked great out the door and after the second wheel balance looked like dung. And yes,they were shops that did show car paint. Powder coating. Heard of it don't know squat about it. Thanks for the clue. I think powder coating succeeded anodizing? Is powder coating a process used by all shops?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:43 PM

Basically dry powder bonded electrostatically and then heat cured. They use it a lot on things like coil springs and other suspension parts (as far as vehicles go). The big advantage is that it can be applied thicker and thus resists chipping better than paint. I've got a set of wheels I bought a little over two years ago that were powder coated almost the same color as the "midnight silver" we're getting and then clear coated. Easy to clean and look brand new....well, aside from that curb I hit while I wasn't paying attention.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by z71collector
well, painted wheels dont normally last too long depepnding on the conditions you live in. "powder coating" is the wasy you want to go. much stronger than paint. thats probably what you are meaning when you say "painted"
Old 06-05-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by MetalDragon
Basically dry powder bonded electrostatically and then heat cured. They use it a lot on things like coil springs and other suspension parts (as far as vehicles go). The big advantage is that it can be applied thicker and thus resists chipping better than paint. I've got a set of wheels I bought a little over two years ago that were powder coated almost the same color as the "midnight silver" we're getting and then clear coated. Easy to clean and look brand new....well, aside from that curb I hit while I wasn't paying attention.
Thanks,that is what I thought but was not quite sure powder coating was electrostatically applied. BTW; Have you seen the midnight silver wheels in person? They are nowhere near as dark as they appear in the build a car. In fact they really are not to much darker then the OE wheels. I was hoping they were as dark as they appear. My bubble got busted big time. So I'm looking for someone to make my wheels,"real real dark" Any references of quality powder coaters is appreciated.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Yeah, in fact...those are the only wheels I've seen in person. I haven't seen a non RS car yet. I don't mind them, but I'd like to go with something black / polished down the road.