2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Vortech Supercharger VOR-4GE218-018L

Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Vortech Supercharger VOR-4GE218-018L

Has anyone here put a vortech supercharger on their LS3? if so, were there any other required mods? can you still fit headers? I'm in Afghanistan right now, but when I get back I'd like to put one on my 2010 SS. I'd appreciate any feedback on this from someone with experience on this.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Re: Vortech Supercharger VOR-4GE218-018L

vortech was my s/c of choice, when i decide to go boosted. from what i have seen and read, there is not issues with headers and its a direct bolt up with all the hardare to work.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Admin Emeritus

Lots of people have, but from what I understand, more people go with Magnacharger.

Are you set on Vortech? Have you considered ProCharger?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:05 AM

well not set on Vortech, but it seemed easier to install than some of the others, and it's available everywhere. I didn't see the procharger one, and I don't like the edelbrock one. going to look up the procharger and see what the differences are.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Admin Emeritus

I have always been a fan of Procharger. That's just my opinion, but for ease of installation, I can't say a Magnacharger is any more difficult...if not easier.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:07 PM

there is 1 major probalem with pro charger......thats the intake location. this is 1 reason im turned off to it. its located in the back of the engine compartment. not good getting any cool air back there. the vortech kit has the intake in the front, close to the stock location. unless you have a heat extracting hood, the procharger will be sucking in all the hot air that the car is trying to get rid of.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 PM

what are the reasons you picked the magnacharger over the vortech? is there alot of difference in hp? or you just prefer the brand? I noticed that for the magnacharger you have to change out the intake manifold, and the fuel rails too.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
there is 1 major probalem with pro charger......thats the intake location. this is 1 reason im turned off to it. its located in the back of the engine compartment. not good getting any cool air back there. the vortech kit has the intake in the front, close to the stock location. unless you have a heat extracting hood, the procharger will be sucking in all the hot air that the car is trying to get rid of.
The air still passes through an adequate intercooler and if you ask some people, the temp difference isn't significant enough between the two locations to make enough of a difference, due in part to the intercooler. Procharger knows how to make power, and have the ability to change it if need be. I don't dig the looks of the location myself.

Originally Posted by JGeils81
what are the reasons you picked the magnacharger over the vortech? is there alot of difference in hp? or you just prefer the brand?
I just like the style of it, I wanted to try it out. So far, I am pretty happy with it. If I had a 4th gen, I would go with ProCharger, without question.

I noticed that for the magnacharger you have to change out the intake manifold, and the fuel rails too.
That's what makes it GOOD. The Magnacharger is an all-in-one unit when it comes to that...intake, fuel rails, blower. Basically, remove the stock intake, install the Magnacharger unit in its place. Plus, with any blower, you should upgrade the intake, rails, and injectors anyway.

Here is mine as it arrived:
Old 06-29-2011, 01:29 PM

does it fit under the stock hood?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Admin Emeritus

Sure does.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:02 PM

when you added it to your car, did you do a bunch of work at the same time? or just have it installed? I'm trying to add a lot of things to mine, but probably not all at once. trying to figure out if I can just put this on first, as it is one of the more expensive pieces.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 PM

only down fall with jasons magnacharger......no whine from the blower vortech gives you a nice whistle.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:06 PM

when you added it to your car, did you do a bunch of work at the same time? or just have it installed? I'm trying to add a lot of things to mine, but probably not all at once. trying to figure out if I can just put this on first, as it is one of the more expensive pieces.
vortech and pro charger are way cheaper than magnacharger....about 2-3k depending where your buying. magna charger is concidered more reliable than the centrifigul blowers(procharger and vortech). there is a bit of heat soak with the maggie also. but, you get alot of heat from both units.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

Just that and headers and a tune. I added the LS9 camshaft a bit later.

only down fall with jasons magnacharger......no whine from the blower vortech gives you a nice whistle.
Yep! That is one thing that I wanted that type of blower for...I love the "gear drive" sound. However, they designed it not to whine, thinking that people would like it that way. They now have a solution...a rear cog-drive system and adds the sound to it and also eliminates any belt slippage (but I don't know if that is a big issue). I have one, just not installed. Hope to soon!

vortech and pro charger are way cheaper than magnacharger....about 2-3k depending where your buying. magna charger is concidered more reliable than the centrifigul blowers(procharger and vortech).
Do they come with injectors and do they recommend bigger fuel rails and a better intake? I haven't checked lately.

there is a bit of heat soak with the maggie also. but, you get alot of heat from both units.
Yeah, the Maggie does have a lot of heat soak. An hour after driving my car, it is still pretty warm.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:46 PM

I really don't care about the blower whine, one way or the other. I'm just looking for the boost, and would like it to be reliable. does your car run hotter with the magnacharger? I'm stationed at Ft Campbell, and it gets pretty warm there. also, did you get shorty headers? or full length? cat delete? just trying to get some info from someone who has upgraded. I havent added anything yet to mine, and I don't want to find out the hard way that something won't fit..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vortech Supercharger VOR-4GE218-018L