2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Project - Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Project - Supercharger

Hey yo,

I’m in the process of putting together a supercharger setup for my 2010 SS, and I wanted to make an all-encompassing thread to cover my project from soup to nuts.

A little background: I’ve built a cam-only, big suspension car, and a heads/cam horsepower/torque beast. The only things I still want to accomplish is an FI setup or a big CI motor, and given this motor is fresh as a daisy, I think it’s time for the FI setup.

My goals: I’m not chasing HP on the dyno. I want a reliable street car with occasional strip visits. My car only has full exhaust now (Kooks Stepped long tubes, magnaflow cat-back) and I’ll be adding more suspension mods (just a hotchkis chassis brace currently) as I go. I would be very happy with 550 reliable RWHP. I will definitely go conservative on tuning and would rather have more supporting mods for higher HP than actual HP itself.

So let’s dig in…

Supercharger
The decision here is screw vs centrifugal. Given that I am not chasing HP on the dyno, I am leaning towards the big players on the screw side.

1. TVS 2300 – Reputable, well-known, familiar, proven gains. This is the common option and has great torque curve and also potential for growth.

2. Whipple – Good power, potentially higher HP up top, reliable. Against the TVS 2300, some say this makes better upper RPM power. Seems to have good IAT ranges.

3. Vortech – Good intercooler setup, more HP potential, and more noise! From what I read, Vortech has a great cooling design for comfortable IATs, and room to grow with more HP up top.

4. Procharger – Familiar, big power range, noisy, and customizable. I can’t get ATI out of my head since I always wanted one in my LS1 days. Great power and sound, but reliability is a question mark.

Supporting Mods

1. Injectors – It looks like many of the kits include these, but how high do you want to go? For my application, it seems like whatever comes out of the box will have enough duty cycle to support my needs. Is that true?

2. Fuel Pump – The BAP (boost-a-pump) makes me raise an eyebrow. Pumping more voltage into a stock fuel pump doesn’t sound like the best way to safely and reliably deliver fuel. Is running duel fuel pumps the best way to go? What are people using in that regard?

3. Tuning – Dyno tune all the way on this one. I have a pretty reputable shop (Speed Inc.) that has significant experience in FI. They did a good job on my H/C car, and since I don’t really trust a mail-tune option, I think this is the best bet.

4. Gauges – What should I be monitoring? Besides the obvious (boost), I want to have an eye on fuel pressure and probably IAT as well. Anything else? I’m looking at the AEM gauge that provides readouts for everything in the OBDII library, plus a boost, and fuel pressure gauge.

5. Meth injection – I have this one in the “maybe/later” pile. I would prefer my tuner to not incorporate Meth injection, so that if I add it later I’m just adding a layer of safety in keeping the IATs lower and preventing detonation.

So I’ll wrap this up before I ramble on about anything else. Did I miss anything? I’m really interested in hearing everyone’s experiences and insights on this. I’m looking forward to picking a direction and running with this project.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Project - Supercharger

Subscribing.

Can you post some pics of your car? Even if it looks "stock" right now?

Also...fix your sig to include the 2010.

Is it an LS3 or L99?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:06 PM

go with vortech! or procharger...... Jason says otherwise
Old 07-21-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Subscribing.

Can you post some pics of your car? Even if it looks "stock" right now?

Also...fix your sig to include the 2010.

Is it an LS3 or L99?
Will do! I tried changing my sig once but it said it was too long to have my old car links in it.... miss my oldies and don't want to forget them

Anyways, the car is a 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3 - Black on Black. I've done a few things to it, and I'll get some pics going real soon here!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

START CODE>>>>
2010 Camaro SS - Supercharger Build In Process
See the build thread

2001 Trans Am WS6 - 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ
My New Cardomain Page

1994 Camaro Z28- SOLD
My Old Car Page (Full Mod List and Pics)
<<<< END CODE

There was a lot of extra code that you probably didn't need. Quote this post, change to code view and put that code in your sig (editing what you want to). I also shortened your links using our CZ28 URL shortener.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Admin Emeritus

Oh yeah...use your Garage to host the pics!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:56 PM

Love the Whipple. More power than Maggie+cam. Plenty of room to grow. I'm hoping to run some low 11s as I get better at launching a M6 car.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:59 AM

heard great stuff about the whipple, but have seen pretty sick vortech builds too, one of my buddys built up a M6 SS with a vortech and meth pushing 604 rwhp

from what I have heard the top mount gives it to you right off the bat low rpms and the side mount gives you power at 2800 or so rpm

the side mount is less abusive on the motor

also the side mount I have heard has more potential to add power in the future

I was going to go with the ECS paxton kit before I decided to go turbo

good luck either way your going to make a $ht load of power
Old 12-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Don't know too much about the others but I love the Maggie on my 2010 Camaro!!