2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Pedders Camaro Gets a Updated ProCharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Pedders Camaro Gets a Updated ProCharger

The guys at ProCharger are nothing less than awesome. They treat me so incredibly well i cannot imagine using another product. Their installations are off the charts and more refined every time. They have out performed my expectations again and that is saying a lot Becca my expectations were exceptionally high this time around.

The blower has helical cut gears which are much quieter than the standard cut. The classic ProCharger whistle is gone. It is dead quiet at idle. No one will know what is under the hood. It is dead quiet at speed. The dump is virtually inaudible. This is the most refined ProCharger ever. The only clue you have that the Pedders USA, LLC Camaro is ProCharged comes when you depress the accelerator.

The mounting bracket for the unit is thicker, stronger and just plain looks rock solid. The tensioner is a twelve rib unit on my currently eight rib belt. It appears to be bullet proof. Everything looks factory clean. The air filter mounts cleanly atop the engine.

There is much debate about the placement of the air filter. Here are a few details you should be aware of. The air flow in an engine compartment is designed at the factory to draw hot air down and away from the engine compartment. When a vehicle is in motion there is little difference in temperatures in the engine compartment unless we are measuring right next to the exhaust manifolds. Now in Pedders Camaro, we really like the placement of the air intake on the ProCharger because our Revolution Camaro Cowl Induction Hood will be feeding it a steady supply of external air.

Now for the bad news ProCharger delivered to me. My Camaro was the limpest stick in the units they have tested. It came in 18 RWHP low. I am hoping that some very spirited driving will loosen this thing up and let it grow some hair. A typical ProCharged Camaro will produce 525 RWHP. Mine limped in at 510. We are in no way ready to give up those missing 18 ponies. The math doesn't seem right because while we limped into ProCharger our ProCharged gain was slightly above average which give us hope that it is still breaking in.

We also are upgrading the exhaust to included American Racing Headers, Sweet Thunder chambered exhaust and QTP cut outs. An electric water pump will be installed so we can cycle it after runs to keep cooling the engine. Eric at back Street Performance will be doing a custom tune. With all this we expect to find at least another 50 RWHP and if the missing ponies come home we may reach our goal of 600 RWHP. Time will tell.

To all those dedicated people at ProCharger that worked so hard on this project Pedders USA, LLC extends our thanks. The operation was flawless on my trip. I promise to keep you posted on the progress of the rest of our build. Thanks you for a job eXtremely

mike
dms
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM

It is now torn down for inertia and exterior work. We have to have it ready for the 28th Street Cruise. All the interior and exterior mods must be done by Wednesday so on Thursday we can do the suspension, brakes, headers and exhaust. All work must be done by Friday so we can make the Cruise.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM

pete, with your pro charger and lt headers and the catback, your expecting to get around 600 from a good tune? is there any more you are planning on doing to it to get that power? im really concidering a pro charger. i wanted to do twin turbo but i dont feel comfortable with them any more. there has been alot of bad news going around about APS. pro charger is a well known name in the autombile industry and i love their work. think you can hook me up with someone at procharger for the tuner kit? i figure ill have backstreet do the custom tune for me.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
pete, with your pro charger and lt headers and the catback, your expecting to get around 600 from a good tune? is there any more you are planning on doing to it to get that power? im really concidering a pro charger. i wanted to do twin turbo but i dont feel comfortable with them any more. there has been alot of bad news going around about APS. pro charger is a well known name in the autombile industry and i love their work. think you can hook me up with someone at procharger for the tuner kit? i figure ill have backstreet do the custom tune for me.
The base setup, an out of the box retail ProCharger kit, typically produce over 520 RWHP. I just took that plus 15 for Headers, 10 for custom exhaust with cut outs and 6 for an electric water pump to add 31 for 551 RWHP. My Tunes from Haddad Motorsports and Backstreet Performance typically add 25 RWHP which would bring me to 575 RWHP. That is within spitting distance of our goal -- 600 RWHP. To hit 600 we need to get lucky with a couple of mods and to have those missing OEM 18 RWHP come home. It is a remote possibility that resetting the ECM may reset the base calibrations from a bad early tank of fuel. We'll certainly explore that and more at Backstreet, who by the way can hook you up with a Tuner kit and do the installation.

I'll keep everyone posted.