2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Muffler delete, or cat-back?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:32 PM

Muffler delete, or cat-back?

Which do you guy's prefer for all around sound and performance? Doing a muffler delete, or buying a cat-back system? I'm on the fence between a delete, loudmouth, or flowmaster kit. Let me know what you think.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

Cat-back. More mellow tone.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 PM

I looked into it for a while and finally had the mufflers pulled a few months ago. Look at the Magnaflow kits and you'll notice that's about all their...I forget the name...pro series or something like that axle back is...a muffler delete and tips....for over $400.

The thought process was something along the lines of....the local shop will weld in straight pipe and put my tips back on for $50. If I don't like the way it sounds, I can always put on a set of Flowmasters or something in a month or so. If I do like it, I've saved several hundred dollars.

Turns out, I like the way it sounds well enough to leave it until I eventually can put the long tubes on. It wasn't nearly as raspy as I was afraid it might be...LS3 has a decent note. I DID leave the resonators on it though.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:19 PM

I picked up 6 rwhp just by cutting off the mufflers on my LS3. Sounds awesome around town, but too much drone on the highway for an old man. This old man anyway. I have a doug thorley catback on it now. As soon as I can get back to the dyno, I'll share the results.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:39 AM

catback. youll get more backpressure, which is needed for low end tq.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
catback. youll get more backpressure, which is needed for low end tq.
Please. Stop giving people poor information.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:57 AM

We have some really nice cat backs including our new retro system. Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Please. Stop giving people poor information.
what the hell is your problem? and tell me why my information is poor? please enlighten me!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
what the hell is your problem? and tell me why my information is poor? please enlighten me!
1.) Not understanding fuel octane (110 octane thread), which is perfectly understandable, but numerous times advising new Camaro owner's to "throw on a supercharger". There is a lot more to that procedure than just bolting it on.

2.) Straight pipe vs. a muffler will not have enough of effect (especially on a true dual system) to have any affect on torque production. Therefore your previous bit of advise is poor information.

There are a lot of new to Camaro owner's here, and they need to benefit from the board's combined experience and knowledge when it comes to modding their cars. I do not have, nor claim to have, all the knowledge, but I sometimes the blatantly wrong needs to be addressed.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:51 AM

yes strait pipes will effect the back pressure. more so on the low end than on the high end of the rpm range for torque. as far as bolting on a supercharger, yes it is that easy to install. not very hard at all. maybe it is for you, but its not a hard job to install it. hey buddy, just relax. i get it you dont like me. and quite frankly i dont like you. im just glad i dont have to deal with you on a daily basis. i feel bad for your family. you seem to have anger issues.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 AM

If your only looking for sound, then go with whatever you like...you're not going to gain any power from a catback or muffler delete, Jannetty has already proven this doing back to back runs with the same cars, multiple times. If you want louder AND additional power, go with long tube headers. However, be aware that with LT's you will need a tune. Hope this helps!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Thanks for all the imput. I had the muffler delete done at my local shop last week. I love the sound, except for the gurgling effect when slowing down. I'm sure if I had a automatic it wouldn't be as bad, but it's a fair trade off for a $100 exhaust improvement. I was a little nervous about losing backpressure after reading the different oppinions (and myths)on it, but it seems more people agree that it won't be a issue. Can't tell any power change, just alot more heads turning.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Re: Muffler delete, or cat-back?

I have a friend who had the muffler delete done and a tune- It sounds great and he picked up 12 rear wheel hp- im going to have ths done as soon as the weather breaks.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Please, Keith - Please do not join the Harley crowd. "Heads turning" usually means you have annoyed someone, not impressed them. I've experienced first-hand the ire of a motorcycle hater who hates all motorcyclists, because of the years worth of annoyance from idiots who intentionally cut off their mufflers. ...and I was an undeserving biker on, of all things, a stock 250cc machine! As a result of continued arrogance on the part of the "loud pipes" crowd, there is now a whole raft of new legislation out there which is targeting motorcycles.

It would sadden me to see this muffler delete idea become mainstream, because I know it'll turn the public against us, just like it did against the ricers when they all glued on their fart cans onto their little VTEC powered go-carts.

Get a quality cat-back. Put in some cut outs for the track if you really must.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 PM

Wow, a lot of aggression going around.

To answer the question, the muffler mod alone will change the tone, but you'd be hard pressed to see anything on a dyno.

Cat backs have been picking up performance for decades. Although, I don't see much merit in a dump on a cat back, since dumping pre-cat would be horrible, as mentioned, for back pressure, and post-cat sorta defeats the purpose.

You might not like someone's previous posts (don't know, just literally started here minutes ago), but low pressure is bad for low end torque. If you take a system with a normally tuned (for example, X system), and go straight with nothing slowing the exhaust, you're going to affect torque. My experience with SBC is that it's always bad.

Hence, gotta agree with him. Maybe I'm biased since I bolted on a supercharger with horrible instructions (ProCharger circa 2003-4) and picked up dyno king at the SoCal FBodies dyno pull that summer with no tuning (and a pig rich FMU).

Quick Reply: Muffler delete, or cat-back?