2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

MGW Short Throw Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM

MGW Short Throw Shifter

So I own an LS3/SS and my fiance just bought me the MWG short throw. How great is she huh??? Anyway, as I am reading the steps and watching the video I found that one of the steps is extremely difficult:

the shifter linkage support arms to the transmission are two pins held by clips. These clips have a small access hole you can fit the supplied Allen through to release the clip. With the Allen holding the clip release down, we used the flathead screwdriver to pry the clip open. On the passenger side, once the clip is released, pull the pin out enough to clear the clip and point the clip straight down . Pull down on the transmission to get clearance while pulling the pin out.

I am just curious if anyone has installed this item and found a "less stressful" way to undo these two clips. Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Re: MGW Short Throw Shifter

Just wanted everyone to know that I installed the MGW short throw with no problems. Only took about 3 hours. It would have been less but I had to remove my aftermarket exhaust as I couldn't remove the transmission brace with it on. Took it out for a test drive and what a difference.

The throws are so tight and precise and there is nothing in the world like it. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Highly recommend a short throw for any 6SM owners. The MGW runs for about $360 but its the entire shifter, brace and support arms...not just the shifter like most others.

If you decide to go this route and you get to the step to remove the passenger side clip that secures the arm to the transmission, us a thicker allen than the 1/8" that they provide. You will find it a lot easier to remove.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 PM

Yeah, I had that same problem when I installed mine. I also got the race **** because the stock shifter **** is too large for my hand. I really love this shifter - much better than stock. Now I never miss the 2-3 shift like I used to.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 PM

would you be ok with posting a picture. I have been wanting to get a race ****, but am pretty skeptical about what it would look like. If you aren't able to do a picture, thats cool. I was just asking. Glad you like the shifter though.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Admin Emeritus

Thanks for posting this! Good info. We need more folks to post more "how-to's".
Old 02-25-2011, 11:52 AM

Forgot to add one more piece of info. When installing the third piece of "sound reduction" foam, be sure to cut out a rectangluar piece between the two slits so that auxillary power connector and the traction control connector don't press up against the foam. If you dont cut it, the clips on the passernger side of the center console will start to un-clip.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 AM

Hey, sorry I haven't been on the forum for a while - too much to do at work and been traveling. Here is link to MGW website: http://www.mgwltd.com/camaro2010_race_knob.shtml

I like the fact that it is made out of composite material, not metal. So it does not get really hot or cold when the car is sitting out. If you need a better picture, let me know and I can see if I can get one from my car.