2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

IRS in the new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 PM

IRS in the new Camaro

Anyone know much about it? Is it similar to the IRS in the '04-'06 GTO or the '03 Cobras?

It seems like the GTOs had a real tough time launching at the track once they were modded with DRs. Wheelhop was a real issue and I heard a lot of stories about broken half-shafts. I'm just hoping the Camaro has a stronger IRS and doesn't have the wheel hop problems the GTOs had.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Admin Emeritus

Wheelhop was brought up very point-blank in the 2nd focus group (because many have driven or own GTOs) and here is what Al Oppenheiser said.

What's wheel hop? This is 2010.
We'll see, anyway. It is a newer design but still based on the old one, of course. I am wondering what the breaking point would be.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:40 AM

check out the very end of the article posted here:
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...29#post5534629
Old 08-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
I was just going to post that, GOOD info there!!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
Thanks!

Good info there. I noticed he mentioned the Vette - I haven't seen many problems with the IRS in the Vettes. Seems they launch very well at the track. Sounds like GM did their research with the new Camaro.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Wheelhop was brought up very point-blank in the 2nd focus group (because many have driven or own GTOs) and here is what Al Oppenheiser said.

We'll see, anyway. It is a newer design but still based on the old one, of course. I am wondering what the breaking point would be.
I remember hearing people say the GTO did a lot better with upgraded half-shafts and drag bags. I'm just hoping the Camaro IRS holds it's own straight out of the box. Hopefully modded Camaros can at least get into the 11s on the stock rear without too many problems.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC
Thanks!

Good info there. I noticed he mentioned the Vette - I haven't seen many problems with the IRS in the Vettes. Seems they launch very well at the track. Sounds like GM did their research with the new Camaro.
i've seen plenty wheel hop from vettes.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
i've seen plenty wheel hop from vettes.
Maybe so, but it definitely doesn't seem to be as widespread a problem in the Vettes as it was in the GTOs and CTS-Vs.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:22 AM

Camaro's IRS is much different then the trailing arm set up on the GTO, and much stronger then what was found on the last gen CTS/CTS-V.
This was designed and built Holden Tough. I dont think we will have a lot of problems. Vette's IRS is different due to the fact that it has a solid leaf spring that ties the left and right together. Camaro has a coil over shock design as well as unequal diamter shafts that should calm that down.
Engineering is Fun!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:04 AM

Not much to add other than the recent release of dealer info for the Camaro in the ride and handling page they made sure to mention that the IRS is designed handle the power of the vehicle. Like they are talking directly to the 4th gen owners with a critical eye on the stock 10 bolt.

I have a feeling that GM has put a lot more work into the IRS engineering and working with Holden on the Camaro will do nothing but help. We're lucky that they have the Vette, CTS and Holdens/G8 for help and history. The bar has been raised and with 550hp CTS V's and 620 hp ZR1's I think they can figure out how to work a 422hp Camaro SS.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Not much to add other than the recent release of dealer info for the Camaro in the ride and handling page they made sure to mention that the IRS is designed handle the power of the vehicle. Like they are talking directly to the 4th gen owners with a critical eye on the stock 10 bolt.

I have a feeling that GM has put a lot more work into the IRS engineering and working with Holden on the Camaro will do nothing but help. We're lucky that they have the Vette, CTS and Holdens/G8 for help and history. The bar has been raised and with 550hp CTS V's and 620 hp ZR1's I think they can figure out how to work a 422hp Camaro SS.
i know the 550 hp CTS-V had to upgrade to an iron version of the differential to cope. not sure about the zr1.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
i know the 550 hp CTS-V had to upgrade to an iron version of the differential to cope. not sure about the zr1.
So like I stated there have been engineering improvements to GM's IRS units to deal with power or axle hop.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 AM

It is concerning that if you hang out on the C6 boards breaking the rear is fairly common. But wheel hop seems to be a big factor. No wheel hop, no breakage. Wheel hop, you might get lucky, you might not.

I am hoping that you can slam a set of drag radials on a new Camaro with bolt ons and have fun without the worry of breakage...... We'll see!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 PM

I'm not a big drag racer. But those of you who are might want to look at the Holden and G8 boards to see what those guys think of the the IRS...
Old 08-26-2008, 03:12 PM

Everything I've seen so far is G8's hop. They hop on stock rubber.

Even Ma Mopars new pony cars hop with IRS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAfIvstphM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn-EmsWiRkY

I hope there is an easy fix, my buddy has me starting to slide to the Shelby GT500 side..... His arguments are solid, close to the same weight, close to the same fuel mileage and the prices on used GT500's will be close to new Camaros next year. With the GT500 you get a live rear axle, hand assembled motor and a supercharger....

I REALLY hope the Camaro lives up to the hype!!! I want to buy an SS six speed with limited options...add headers, CAI, tune and drag radials and have some fun! But I will not buy another car that needs $3500 worth of rear end work to hold up.

Quick Reply: IRS in the new Camaro