2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Engine Exhaust Drone 1800 - 2K RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Engine Exhaust Drone 1800 - 2K RPM

Do you have to change the OEM exhaust to after market to get rid of the DRONE?
Has anyone installed of J pipes on their 6.2L?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:46 AM

get rid of the oem to fix the drone??? if you think its bad now, it will probably be worse with an aftermarket.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

What is a J pipe?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:36 PM

"J" pipes gets rid of The DRONE!

SOLO PERFORMANCE both in Mississauga Ontario Canada & Buffalo New York USA have them. Now to my understanding; the exhaust just before the muffler has a hole cut into it and a J-Pipe is MIGed into it. The "J" pipe is parrallelled along the muffler. The "Solo Performance" site or the http included above, should give you a better explaination. Again what the J pipe does is to tunnel the exhaust frequency along a new route. The Js are adjustable to the frequencies you what to get rid of
Sorry if I am not clear enough, the Solo Perfornace website should be clear.
What bothers me is the drone of about 1800 -2000 RPM. Although the OEM mufflers are heaver, I like the sound. The LS3 is the music !!

Would the underside of the Camaro be a factor?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:04 PM

more "J" pipe info

I found some more info on J pipes:

J-pipes do more than dampen the sound. They elliminate it. Basically, since the J-pipes are sealed, consider them a "high pressure" area.

Let me back up a little bit here. Exhaust gasses are racing (excitedly) out to the end of your exhaust tips so they can reach the air, where the pressure is lower than where they came from (The combustion chamber and various exhaust components, actually!) ... so Exhaust gasses want to "get out" to an area of low pressure. Got it?

So since the J-pipes are sealed, no real "exhaust gasses" ever get into the J-pipes to begin with. To the exhaust gasses, the J-pipes are simply another wall that is not an option to exit from.

Sound waves are completely different. Sound waves can travel through just about anything... water, metal, etc. Sound waves are a byproduct of combustion engines. If you've ever heard "open headers" like on race cars or demo derby cars, you know what everything "really sounds like" right out of the combustion process. Normal factory stock exhaust systems are usually over-engineered to appease the 'transportation' type of person who does not like hearing engine noises. This is why enthusiasts upgrade to aftermarket exhaust components.

Drone is usually solved by a nearly silent stock exhaust system (over-engineered) ... and drone is the uncomfortable level of soundwaves, as they reverberate not only in the cabin but also in your eardrums.

What J-pipes do is allow the soundwaves to enter into the "mouth" of the J-pipes, and if you remember cosine/sine graphs from math class, you know what sound waves generally look like. Now the sound waves are inside this capped "tube" ... bouncing off each side in a certain pattern (Hertz rating) ... then BAM. they hit that cap at the end of the J-pipe. Now those sound waves are reflected in the exact opposite direction, in exactly the inverse wavelength pattern (effectively cancelling out that calculated soundwave pattern) and then at the "mouth" of the J-pipe, they safely exit back into the exhaust stream and out the rear of the car, now the inverse of what they were when they entered the J-pipe. The magic happens when the two inverses collide, within the J-pipe itself. This actually elliminates the sound that was calculated (or in other words, the exact overall length that you made the J-pipe).

If your calculation is wrong, you will not elliminate the sound.

This is completely different than "dampering" the metal to make the vibrations a different frequency, like you seemed to have suggested. While that works in some applications, the source of this drone is the engine itself, with it's specific engine harmonics. As soon as that stock exhaust system is replaced with a "performance" exhaust system, you get the nice rumble of a freer flowing exhaust system, however, now those engine harmonic traits (drone in certain RPM and engine load combination conditions) show their ugly head. J-pipes to the rescue!

That's the technology behind the J-pipes, in a nutshell. It works amazingly well, just a side effect of looking somewhat odd to someone who is expecting a muffler-looking apparatus under the rear of the car. They target the drone efficiently, without hardly any negative (silencing) of the performance exhaust sound that someone upgraded their exhaust system in order to hear. Win-win situation.

The proof of my claim of "high pressure area J-pipes" is that even after an hour of driving a J-pipe enabled car, the j-pipes themselves will be cool to the touch. This is because sound waves (only) are what enter and exit from the J-pipes, not exhaust gasses, and sound waves are independant of heat. Exhaust gasses, in contrast, contain a lot of heat, as the byproduct of the combustion process. Thus, be careful doing this test, as if you were to touch a part of the exhaust system that is NOT the J-pipe section after an hour of driving, you'd most definitely burn yourself.

Opions Please!
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ima...ies/canada.gif
Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM

knock out a drone frequency

Simply put, the formula for determining the length of a Helmholtz chamber used to knock out a drone frequency is:

1100 feet/second (roughly the speed of sound) divided by the target frequency you're trying to eliminate (in cycles/second) gives a full wavelength in feet per cycle. Divide this number by 4 to get a quarter wavelength (a much more convenient length to work with). Finally, multiply this wavelength by 12 to get the chamber length in inches.

Tap this length of pipe into the exhaust tube, making sure the other end of the pipe is capped off, and you have a Helmholtz chamber that takes the annoying frequency and bounces it back into the flow 180 degrees out of phase, knocking it out. The results: no more drone.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

The thing is...I am unsure if the drone is supposed to be there to begin with. I don't see other people with the issue. The other co-founder of this site has an LS3 Camaro and hasn't had the problem to my knowledge.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 AM

do you know for a fact that the J pipe will take away the drone? i still dont see how you wouldnt get ANY drone from it. plus THE DRONE REALLY ISNT THAT BAD! when i had my stock exhaust on for the first 200 miles, i never noticed any unpleasant sound in the exhaust. if you cant deal with that stock sound, then your head would probably explode if you sat in my car in 6th gear doing about 75.