2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Z284ever drives a Camaro SS ---and he likes it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Actually, I think the fact that this site is NOT a full-blown fanboy site is what makes it so appealing. If you want the URL to a site that does not allow an opposing POV (when it comes to Camaro vs xyz), let me know.

And whilst you may not like the content, I don't see anything that isn't 'constructive' in the last several posts. "Constructive criticism" is still constructive, and might actually result in a better car (assuming that is possible, in your mind).

Bob
Personally, I think this thread and threads like it are chock full of useful and constructive info. I may email it to John Fitzpatrick or Gene Stefanyshyn - if they haven't already seen it.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:49 AM

Well you guys know how much of a Chevy fanboy I am. Although I've bought (and sold) a couple Mustangs in the past 5 years (my son's) I've always had a distaste for the Mustang and have always preferred Camaros. However the negative experience Chevrolet dealers have typically been giving potential buyers (I've had similar experiences) has totally turned me off on Camaro. Besides, the 2010 Mustang is much better looking than its predecessor IMHO. I am now not considering purchasing until after the first of the year. By that time most of the greedy dealers should be out of business, and we'll have a better idea on HUD, the convertible, and a possible Z/28. I'm not hesitant to hang onto my money and wait for the CTS Coupe, or may even step down to the Mustang if I can find a decent Ford dealer locally.

Anyway, I need to help Mom buy her car first and still need to sell a car for my mother-in-law, so first things first.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I agree, $23K for the base V6 is a screaming value.

You know, for years we've been saying how important it is to have Camaro appeal to female buyers. I wonder how it's doing with that? I've seen many dozens of Camaros on the road already, and only one of them had a female driver.
Theres quite a few young girls showing off their new Camaro on youtube . My 57 yr old mom is absolute in with them , enuff to be considering trading off her 30K mile 2000 grand am gt . Prices have to come down around here though , a 2LT v6 is selling for right about what sticker is on 1SS with a couple options . You can even see one locally , everyone that comes in is a presale still . You gotta get close to Chicago with the bigger volume dealers that actually have some stock .

Last edited by 90 Z28SS; 09-07-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:00 PM

I agree, $23K for the base V6 is a screaming value.

You know, for years we've been saying how important it is to have Camaro appeal to female buyers. I wonder how it's doing with that? I've seen many dozens of Camaros on the road already, and only one of them had a female driver.
Mostly male is what I've seen myself and one female F5 owner (a very nice black car))
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Actually, I think the fact that this site is NOT a full-blown fanboy site is what makes it so appealing. If you want the URL to a site that does not allow an opposing POV (when it comes to Camaro vs xyz), let me know.

And whilst you may not like the content, I don't see anything that isn't 'constructive' in the last several posts. "Constructive criticism" is still constructive, and might actually result in a better car (assuming that is possible, in your mind).

Bob
No doubt. Any criticism is constructive criticism.

The only thing is... when there is invariably a slow automotive news day we tend to dwell on the same smaller, lighter concept that's been done to death and considered almost unattainable given the Camaro's target market.

The saddest part is it always comes from some of the more experienced members of the forum... and it's the same story almost every thread. How many more times do we need to hear the pleas again? It's not like we're deaf.

Can we at least talk about other exciting stuff out there?

Just a suggestion.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
How many more times do we need to hear the pleas again? It's not like we're deaf.

Until they get it right
Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 PM

I would suggest that complaining about "weight threads" or those related to the same isn't going to make them go away.

Complaining is complaining - no matter if it is complaining about weight, or complaining about those that are complaining about weight.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
Until they get it right

Exactly.

I know some just want to toe the party line, but no one is served if opinions are not freely exchanged. Especially by people like us. I mean, Jenny the receptionist isn't going say, the steering seems artificially heavy, yet numb in some circumstances - she just won't like it and buy something else.

Anyway, voicing an opinion, sharing first hand impressions are of value - especially to GM.

BTW, John Fitzpatrick let me know he is looking at this thread, so to those of you (and we all know who you are), who make a habit of pissing all over a thread until it's locked, don't do it to this one.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Since he's reading three things:

Reverse lights- They remind me of the 3rdgen(and 4th) F-body exhaust. Looks like they designed the entire car and said "Oh $#%&! Where are we going to put this?!?"

Z28 - Hurry up. We need a "handling" package even if it is called something else.

Mailslot- I love it on the SS, but its ruining the hood aftermarket for the car. Something to keep in mind.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by guionM
It's Hemi V8 is surprisingly fuel efficient (tops both the SS and even the GT on the highway).
Guy, how many times do I have to correct you on this before you stop getting it wrong? In 2009, the Challenger was better than the Mustang but worse than the Camaro. In 2010, with the updated engine, the Challenger improves, but it is not better than the SS. The SS automatic gets the same 25mpg on the highway as the R/T automatic, and the SS manual gets the same 24mpg on the highway as the R/T manual. The Mustang still lags behind in this area (which I find very interesting considering the lower weight and horsepower).

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/bymod...t_Camaro.shtml
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/bymod...allenger.shtml
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/bymod..._Mustang.shtml

Originally Posted by guionM
The V6 Camaro, on the other hand goes for a mere $23K.
Comparing base prices is all well and good, but I have only ever seen one Camaro LS, and it was at a dealership, so I can make no assumptions about sales of such cars. I see lots of 2LTs, and those start at 27k. Still a pretty amazing deal IMO, but I think we're doing ourselves a disservice to pretend that the LS is the one we should use when comparing prices.

I've had the opposite experience. Of roughly ten 2010's in my area, I think seven or eight are driven by women, including a few SSes.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Comparing base prices is all well and good, but I have only ever seen one Camaro LS, and it was at a dealership, so I can make no assumptions about sales of such cars. I see lots of 2LTs, and those start at 27k. Still a pretty amazing deal IMO, but I think we're doing ourselves a disservice to pretend that the LS is the one we should use when comparing prices.
I have yet to see a Camaro priced for under $30k in the SF Bay Area. Even the 2LTs around here seem to be going for mid-30s, while most of the SS models are priced from the mid-40s on up.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Guy, how many times do I have to correct you on this before you stop getting it wrong? In 2009, the Challenger was better than the Mustang but worse than the Camaro. In 2010, with the updated engine, the Challenger improves, but it is not better than the SS. The SS automatic gets the same 25mpg on the highway as the R/T automatic, and the SS manual gets the same 24mpg on the highway as the R/T manual. The Mustang still lags behind in this area (which I find very interesting considering the lower weight and horsepower).
But if i remember correctly, in almost all of the reviews/tests i've read, the GT's actually got better observed figures than the other 2. Odd.

Mustang is also geared more aggressively and is packing 5 forward gears in both auto and manual form vs the camaro's 6. That probably explains why it's Epa figures are rated lower despite having 100+hp and 300lbs of weight less than the SS. Next yrs upgraded powertrain will probably boost the #'s up a bit.

Last edited by Gold_Rush; 09-09-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
But if i remember correctly, in almost all of the reviews/tests i've read, the GT's actually got better observed figures than the other 2. Odd.

Mustang is also geared more aggressively and is packing 5 forward gears in both auto and manual form vs the camaro's 6. That probably explains why it's Epa figures are rated lower despite having 100+hp and 300lbs of weight less than the SS. Next yrs upgraded powertrain will probably boost the #'s up a bit.
There are lots of ways to game the EPA tests. IIRC, they shift at fixed speeds, so changing the axle ratio can have a significant effect, as it causes a car to run at a higher or RPM at all times. In real life, the driver will usually compensate for a higher ratio by shifting earlier.

Thus, the skipshift helps in the EPA tests, while it doesn't help at all in real life for most drivers. The 3.73 in the Mustang would hurt in the EPA test, but in real life, unless you do a lot of highway driving, it probably will not hurt.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Charlie!

On 9/4/09 at approx. 5:11pm, my cellphone started to ring..........

........and kept ringing!

Glad you drove one.

A couple of things: I'd be interested to see your take on a base Camaro.

I recently had the pleasure to take a base LS with Zero options around the track at Spring Mountain. With the exception of the fact that it had not been reflashed to address a lag in throttle feedback (it was built in December...) I was quite surprised at how well it handled -- I know we put a more compliant suspension on this car -- but I (along with a couple of others) found ourselves fascinated.......

As you also probably know, the past year put a lot of things on 'hold' -- so I think you may see some of the stuff you've been asking for.........

Oh - and Boxerperson -- you have email!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Charlie!

On 9/4/09 at approx. 5:11pm, my cellphone started to ring..........

........and kept ringing!

Glad you drove one.

A couple of things: I'd be interested to see your take on a base Camaro.

And I'd be interested to give you that take.

BTW, who called you?

Quick Reply: Z284ever drives a Camaro SS ---and he likes it!