2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another direction for the Z28 possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:27 PM

Yeah. The main reason I brought it up was I was thinking about off the shelf stuff they could cram onto/into an LS3 for a Z28. That was one thing with a lot of "wow" factor like bossco said that could possibly help in extreme performance situations...

Other than that you might be limited to different mufflers and perhaps a new intake box. There is certainly room to work on the suspension bit of the car, maybe even change the axle ratio. I just don't see them doing anything like a different cam unfortunately, even though that would make quite a difference in the character of the motor. I don't think you will see an LSA either, but that said I think it is more likely than any internal mods to an LS3.

One other thing that would be cool would be to put a cam phaser on the LS3 to give it VVT. Doubt we would see it, but it would be it would be cool nonetheless.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 AM
West South Central Moderator

Wink

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
why go back to past motors? why not just keep with the current motors and make it DI. 6.2? even the 6.0 . theres no need to put the 5.3 DI or not in the vette.
What Camaro in the past used a 5.3L engine?

I'm still hoping that GM puts a 4" stroke in a smaller bore engine or maybe shortens the stroke in the LS7. There are several possible displacement sizes available using previously used or other current parts.

A new 5.7L could be made from using the 4.125" bore LS7 block and the 83mm stroke from the 4.8L. That's what the CTS-VR used to use.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
A new 5.7L could be made from using the 4.125" bore LS7 block and the 83mm stroke from the 4.8L. That's what the CTS-VR used to use.
That'd be a nice free breathing motor, well for racing in any event.

It seems to me with the current state of cylinderhead technology big bore moderate displacement engines dont have the advantages they had in earlier years (well at least in the 3.9x to 4.xx range) in a street application.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 AM

That'd be a nice free breathing motor, well for racing in any event.

It seems to me with the current state of cylinderhead technology big bore moderate displacement engines dont have the advantages they had in earlier years (well at least in the 3.9x to 4.xx range) in a street application.

--->edit<--- especially when you consider the operational range of the hobby stuff. On paper a big bore short stroke engine would make a nice high RPM piece, but the valvetrain would have to be extremely sturdy to last the life of the engine and take advantage of the over square nature of the combo. --->edit<---
Old 08-01-2009, 11:20 AM

What Camaro in the past used a 5.3L engine?

The 67-69 with the 327ci motor.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by super83Z
The 67-69 with the 327ci motor.
That is pretty close to 5.3L, but though the 327cid was available in '67 - early '69 Camaros, it was never used in an SS or Z/28 Camaro (and it certainly was never a serious performance option in the first gens).
Clyde
Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 AM

I was driving my friends' '09 Z51 last night and was reminded of what a sweet, sweet, motor the LS3 is.

Don't waste limited resources fixing what doesn't need fixing.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I was driving my friends' '09 Z51 last night and was reminded of what a sweet, sweet, motor the LS3 is.

Don't waste limited resources fixing what doesn't need fixing.
This plus that 5.3 would have to lug around 3800 pounds.

Giving it a bit of thought, a Z/28 might work pretty good using the Bullitt formula. Different chassis/brake tuning with some cosmetic and minor powertrain changes.

That said (even though I'm shooting the Bullitt = Z/28 idea in the foot)

The problem I see is that the SS is comprehenisively equipped and in order to bring real value to the Z/28 name the equipment level has to really be elevated over the SS (witness the range of ideas in this thread) and I suspect even using the Bullitt idea probably wouldn't be well recieved as it would be viewed as not "hardcore" enough to justify the Z/28 moniker
Old 08-01-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
The problem I see is that the SS is comprehenisively equipped and in order to bring real value to the Z/28 name the equipment level has to really be elevated over the SS (witness the range of ideas in this thread) and I suspect even using the Bullitt idea probably wouldn't be well recieved as it would be viewed as not "hardcore" enough to justify the Z/28 moniker

You make a good point.

Typically when a manufacturer puts together a hardcore performance package, they'll address the usual shortcomings with more power, better brakes, bigger tires, retuned suspension, etc. The Camaro SS is not substantially lacking in any of these areas. It's major shortcomings can be found elsewhere, and they are virtually impossible to correct for this purpose.

So, it makes the job of creating a Z/28 package for this car extremely difficult. You're not going to get substantially better brakes than the Brembos already available. You're not going to get substantially better power than what the LS3 already provides. Perhaps suspension tuning might turn up some gains - maybe small gains. I think we all know what the car needs, we all know what's holding it back.

Unfortunately, no amount of retuning or repackaging is going to change that.

Last edited by Z284ever; 08-01-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:39 PM

So, it makes the job of creating a Z/28 package for this car extremely difficult. You're not going to get substantially better brakes than the Brembos already available. You're not going to get substantially better power than what the LS3 already provides. Perhaps suspension tuning might turn up some gains - maybe small gains. I think we all know what the car needs, we all know what's holding it back.
Agree for the most part... unless you wanted to make a stratospherically priced Z28 complete with carbon ceramic brakes, magnetorheological shocks, and carbon fiber panels
Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 PM

You make a good point.

Typically when a manufacturer puts together a hardcore performance package, they'll address the usual shortcomings with more power, better brakes, bigger tires, retuned suspension, etc. The Camaro SS is not substantially lacking in any of these areas. It's major shortcomings can be found elsewhere, and they are virtually impossible to correct for this purpose.

Unfortunately, no amount of retuning or repackaging is going to change that.
Exactly how I feel, which is why a LSA-powered, GT500 slapping, over-priced, overweight Z28 is the only logical way to go.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 AM

The only reason the LS7 costs $15K vs a $6K LS3(retail) is because it has forged internals, CNC ported heads and is hand assembled.

Take those 3 things out and a 7.0 costs and weighs no more than the LS3.

There's your Z28 engine. 475hp/475lb-ft.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlueCruiser
The only reason the LS7 costs $15K vs a $6K LS3(retail) is because it has forged internals, CNC ported heads and is hand assembled.

Take those 3 things out and a 7.0 costs and weighs no more than the LS3.

There's your Z28 engine. 475hp/475lb-ft.
Dont forget titanium intake/sodium filled exhaust valves and wasn't there something with cylinder bores (IIRC the LS7 used a thinner but stronger cylinder liner). Also I beleive the heads used offset rockers (which may be par for the course on the LS3+ engines). Also there is the matter of the dry-sump oiling.

I wonder how much a dumded down LS7 would save compared to the regular version and could the price be justified over the LS3?

Would a DI VCT LS3 offer more bang for the buck?

--->edit<--- The more I think about it, the more it seems GM has painted themselves into a corner with the F5 and SEs, Honestly if a Z/28 is brought out as a top dawg car where else could you go? There simply isn't any room for a 4th model in the range unlike Mustang (although Mustang might be in a similar boat next year with the 3.5 and 5.0) unless GM wanted a litany of GT/CS like cars (which is an appearence package and not an SE despite what some might beleive). <---edit--->

Last edited by bossco; 08-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:17 PM

Dont forget titanium intake/sodium filled exhaust valves and wasn't there something with cylinder bores (IIRC the LS7 used a thinner but stronger cylinder liner). Also I beleive the heads used offset rockers (which may be par for the course on the LS3+ engines). Also there is the matter of the dry-sump oiling.

I wonder how much a dumded down LS7 would save compared to the regular version and could the price be justified over the LS3?

Would a DI VCT LS3 offer more bang for the buck?

Throw the hi-tech valves out also. Whatever the valvetrain is on the LS3 should go on the 7.0. Keep the block with liners unchanged.

The LS7 block is easily run as a wet sump by many people today. No grinding needed.

The production line assembled 7.0 would cost the same as an LS3 or 40% less than the LS7. Bigger pistons and the block are the only major differences between the 2. No cost difference there. It's the easiest 50hp/50lb-ft GM could ever make. And beyond the peak numbers, the torque curve of a 7.0 will simply blow away an LS3. It would be the equal of a stock '10 GT500. Mid 12s@117+

A DI 6.2 is a whole new engine program. Sure it would make equal or more HP, but that's years down the road. I'm talking something GM could put out within 6 months.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:12 AM

--->edit<--- The more I think about it, the more it seems GM has painted themselves into a corner with the F5 and SEs, Honestly if a Z/28 is brought out as a top dawg car where else could you go? There simply isn't any room for a 4th model in the range unlike Mustang (although Mustang might be in a similar boat next year with the 3.5 and 5.0) unless GM wanted a litany of GT/CS like cars (which is an appearence package and not an SE despite what some might beleive). <---edit--->
I agree. Where do you go from here? An LSA equipped Z/28 would be faster in a straight line. Maybe by a half second or less - but at what cost? And even if it got the full 556 hp, would a 4100pound Z/28 outrun a 3900 pound, 540 hp GT500?

And would this super duper expensive Z/28, out handle a $30K Mustang GT with "Track Pack"?

Quick Reply: Yet another direction for the Z28 possibility?