2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ya 2010 camaro, but what about the bird?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:32 AM

ya 2010 camaro, but what about the bird?

ok so this has probably been asked or discussed or whatever but im gonna ask anyways. all i see is stuff about the maro, but what about the firebird, are they not returning with the maro?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:46 AM

Nope, no plans for a firebird, at least that's what they say.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:49 AM

I don't want a Firebird based off of this Camaro package. Better to let it rest in peace.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:07 AM

Not going to happen
Old 10-05-2008, 10:19 AM

You'll have to make do with a G8 Firehawk sedan.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
You'll have to make do with a G8 Firehawk sedan.
lol.

Actually, if GM doesn't plan to do anything with it, I would *love* to see an aftermarket company like SLP to have a "Firebird" package or something similar based on the Camaro. I'd have rather it been a "Firehawk" package, but they seem to have wasted that already.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:35 AM

things may have changed alot since the camaro was first unveiled in 06, but i remember hearing something that pontica was either goign to bring back the firebird or the gto. this was told after the gto was stopped being made.
but like i said things probably changed alot since then.

id love to have my 99T/A back. maybe ill get one after i buy the camaro.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:35 AM

Yeah, for some strange reason GM will slap a Pontiac badge on just about every Chevy but they don't want any product "overlap" with the Camaro!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by TA76
Yeah, for some strange reason GM will slap a Pontiac badge on just about every Chevy but they don't want any product "overlap" with the Camaro!
thats how they have always been though. i dont understand it. every thing that pontiac has chevy has something similar based on the same from. and even since begining of time the camaro and firebird have been very similar in shape. why stop it now?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Primus
lol.

Actually, if GM doesn't plan to do anything with it, I would *love* to see an aftermarket company like SLP to have a "Firebird" package or something similar based on the Camaro. I'd have rather it been a "Firehawk" package, but they seem to have wasted that already.
I think there was talk-- on Autoblog -- or maybe a post in the Automotive news section that stated SLP was considering a "Firehawk" package for the G8 coupe. This sent the Pontiac fans into a tizzy
Old 10-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 94Phoenix
ok so this has probably been asked or discussed or whatever but im gonna ask anyways. all i see is stuff about the maro, but what about the firebird, are they not returning with the maro?
This is a dead horse whose coffin doesn't need to be reopened.

Do a search. All the reasons and background on this has already been gone over.... more than a couple of times.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:17 PM

A lot of us still don't understand why the Firebird "no-overlap / not cost effective" logic doesn't seem to apply to every other car GM makes and rebrands as a Pontiac. That is why this question arises so frequently.

G3 - rebadge
G5 - rebadge
G6 - "platform mate"
G8 - rebadge from out of town at least
Torrent - rebadge
Vibe - rebadge but at least not at other GM dealers

And the only car exclusively designed for Pontiac was stolen and thrown into Saturn showrooms (Solstice)....
Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
A lot of us still don't understand why the Firebird "no-overlap / not cost effective" logic doesn't seem to apply to every other car GM makes and rebrands as a Pontiac. That is why this question arises so frequently.

G3 - rebadge
G5 - rebadge
G6 - "platform mate"
G8 - rebadge from out of town at least
Torrent - rebadge
Vibe - rebadge but at least not at other GM dealers

And the only car exclusively designed for Pontiac was stolen and thrown into Saturn showrooms (Solstice)....

I may not agree with GM's decisions, but there is a thread of logic in there.

The G3 is a reaction to Pontiac needing a small "economy" car & Daewoo needs another car to fill out it's assembly line. Pontiac had no coupe, so they got the G5 (which actually is selling very well!). G6 and G8 is most certainly NOT a rebadge nor do they overlap. There is no car in GM's lineup that is a G6 with a different grille. The G8 isn't sold in the United States under any other name.

Now, with the Solstice/Sky subject, you have a good point. The Saturn Sky was supposed to be an entirely different Kappa beast. It was supposed to be a coupe. At the last minute, GM decided to take the design for Vauxhall/Opel GT and put it in Saturn showrooms as well.

Therefore, there is a thread of logic even with the Saturn Sky. Instead of spending the cash to create a unique car for Saturn, take a model destined for Europe and make the numbers click by selling it here as well and building up enough volume.

Anyone who hopes to get a Pontiac coupe based off Camaro, your only possibility is to hope that Holden exports the Commodore coupe here. GM simply isn't going to invest in a Camaro based Firebird that potentially will canibalize Camaro sales that will eat up advertizing dollars. It's even less likely today than it was a couple of years ago, and even then it was a nonstarter.

Those who honestly want a Firebird, the best bet and the most probable scenario involves the Kappa underpinned Alpha. Should that happen, you're going to need to forget about getting a V8 and take a good hard look at that DI V6 or a DI turbo 4 like the GXP for your top power.

If it sounds like I'm talking about a rear drive G5 replacement, you're probably not far off.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
If it sounds like I'm talking about a rear drive G5 replacement, you're probably not far off.
Name:  plus_sign.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  28.6 KB
Old 10-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Doesn't matter if you think it does or doesn't equal the old Firebird. That car has been history for 7 years now. Even the new F-body doesn't remotely resemble the 4th gen.

I've come to realize that anyone who "says" they want a new Firebird REALLY want a new Trans Am. Why?

In 2002, of 30K made, a mere 167 were Formula Firebirds and a only 9921 were not Trans Ams or a variation (WS6 & Firehawks). Clearly the Firebird name doesn't mean much more than usage as a prefix to Trans Am owners.

Trans Am name is dead.

Everyone from Lutz down to 2 Pontiac GMs have either called the Firebird name dead or have said it has to be clearly different than the Camaro.

Hate to say this, but unless the coupe market absoilutely explodes over the next couple of years, the only remote possible way Firebird name would return is on an Alpha coupe.

The Alpha coupe (should it see the light of day) will be a G3 replacement.

Beyond those possibilities.... Firebird=R.I.P.