2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wither Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 05:59 PM

Deposits!

Originally Posted by trm0002
For the most part there really is no such thing. However, IF they go under instead of bankrupt and the dealers go down with them, good luck at getting your (our) deposit(s) back...

I just don't see that scenario in the cards though.
I hope those of you who paid deposits used a credit card. They have purchase guarantees. If the dealer was to go under and refused to pay back the deposit (did not deliver the promised product), the credit card company would guarantee your deposit back.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by detroitboy
They'll get the money when the politicians think they have made the CEOs grovel enough. These guys are really getting their rocks off on making the CEOs stay on their knees.
Add some of the other political changes with the California dems and they might not get the money until the pledge to meet California milage and pollution requirements, and lower the milage at which a vehicle pays the gas guzzler penalty. These goofballs might even want them to end manufacturing immediately on anything that gets less than 25 mpg before they give them the money. THEY want to run the company. Now that would be interesting would'nt it?
Guess who the Democratic Caucus voted in as chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committe? Henry Waxman. 25 MPG? We should be so lucky. This guy really is not a friend of the auto industry.

If this peckerwood gets his way unchecked, he'll make the recent CAFE legislation look like a Sunday picnic.

With people like this guy overseeing the American auto industry, bankruptcy is the least of our worries...
Old 11-22-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by SSPORT10
My thoughts are that GM should nto be given money from the government, they should be forced to significantly change the agreement that they have with the auto workers union and then eventually over time disolve the union. The union is what is killing GM and will eventually kill all other major companies in this country! Walmart is smart, they will never accept a union of workers in their company, it would destroy them...
I have to considering the relationship between the DNC and organized labor. There will bo no bailout deal that requires or even suggests any concessions from the UAW, not from this incoming Congress.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dest98
I have to considering the relationship between the DNC and organized labor. There will bo no bailout deal that requires or even suggests any concessions from the UAW, not from this incoming Congress.
There won't have to be if bankruptcy is the plan Wagoner comes back with in 10 days. The incoming Congress can't stop that train.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Guess who the Democratic Caucus voted in as chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committe? Henry Waxman. 25 MPG? We should be so lucky. This guy really is not a friend of the auto industry.

If this peckerwood gets his way unchecked, he'll make the recent CAFE legislation look like a Sunday picnic.

With people like this guy overseeing the American auto industry, bankruptcy is the least of our worries...
Man, I really hope it doesn't come to that. I mean we all knew this would be coming up someday, but not quite this soon.

I suppose it's the end of the 60s all over again, in with the 70s and all the cars will be regulationed to a horrible death. Though I'm thankful Al Gore didn't get into the white house, otherwise I don't think we'd be talking about the future of Camaro right now. CamaroZ28 would be just a site for reminiscing about the glory days.

So yeah this sucks but things could be/have been worse for us.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:09 AM

Whither Camaro?

Please fix the spelling in the title of this thread
Old 11-23-2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dest98
Unfortunately you are correct, but the unions need to go!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nightshade
So yeah this sucks but things could be/have been worse for us.

How's that?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:55 AM

At least some of the members of the board are taking their head of the sand and realizing that blind GM faith and optimism isn't going to change the situation that is facing GM and the country. Congress has miraculously stepped up and started making the right demands, now we just have to sit back and see the true competence of the big 3 executive leadership. I have notified my dealer to let me know before my order gets uploaded for production, because I am really on the fence about ordering the car now.

This will be my daily driver, and I don't want a daily driver that is going to have ridiculous maintenance/repair costs because of the business status of the manufacturer. I know I'm probably a minority in that respect, but who knows - maybe that will change a week from now too.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Banned

I think the last four years or so have been the golden age of vehicles...but it's quickly drawing to a close. I just hope there's enough time to make a CTS-V Coupe before the window closes...because that's where I'm at right now. I'm not hopeful, though.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:33 PM

I find it very interesting that there aren't really any comments telling everyone to calm down and that this is just doom and gloom.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
I find it very interesting that there aren't really any comments telling everyone to calm down and that this is just doom and gloom.
If you have been paying much attention to the economy and the current financial status of GM it is hard not to look at the situation as doom and gloom. I suspect that congress will loan the big three the money they need for the next few months but that loan will come with a lot of strings that may not make them any more successful. As far as buying a car from the big three, I am not going to do it until I can see the way they survive the next year. I really have my heart on a Camaro but after reading about the state of GM you really have to wonder what the level of support will be for GM products in a year or two.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:07 AM

I've been seeing alot of arguments saying that the gov't shouldn't bail out the Big 3. Why is it that it's not okay to bail the the Big 3 out but its okay to help companies like Citi? So we are going to give money to the guys who helped put us into this situation before we help a "victim" of it? (I know that victim is a probably a little too extreme here but I couldn't think of anything else.)
Old 11-24-2008, 07:58 AM

the camaro will still be made. they have already said that the camaro and cruze are still on for production. there are projects that have been put on hold but the camaro and other vehicles are still going through with production.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:07 AM

A BIG reason is because of the perception that the Big 3's current predicament is largely due to their own actions. I was listening to some talking head on talk radio last night (something Cunningham), and while he was pro-GM to a fault (I noticed that GM was one of his advertisers, coincidence??), he did take the opportunity to bash GM for coming out w/ every model of huge truck and SUV 5-10 years ago when they "SHOULD HAVE BEEN" developing tiny green eco machines that pooped out oxygen bubbles. Then some idiot caller called in about the corporate jet thing, and I just had to change it.

I felt like calling in and asking 2 questions.

1. Of all those trucks and SUV's, how many did they sell? Answer:ALL OF THEM. That's what people wanted, that's what GM made. People can change their buying tastes as fast as the price of gas can rise, why talking heads think automakers can change their lineups w/ equal speed is beyond me.

2. How does the caller go to work each day? If he answers "his car", to that I say "why not a chauferred limo? It's much cheaper than buying a whole car." His response would probably be "but the car is already paid off" or "but if I already have a car, why should I pay EXTRA money and hire a limo when all I'm out w/ my car is operating expenses". To which I would say "WELL?"

Quick Reply: Wither Camaro?