2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Performance Options really enhance performance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 PM

Will Performance Options really enhance performance?

Catback Exhaust, Performance Air Intake, and Shorty Headers are listed as "Performance Options" in the Camaro Ordering Workbook page 16.

Will they actually enhance performance or will they be "placebo effect" only?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by dacook
Catback Exhaust, Performance Air Intake, and Shorty Headers are listed as "Performance Options" in the Camaro Ordering Workbook page 16.

Will they actually enhance performance or will they be "placebo effect" only?
GM isnt that shameless to offer placebos. That being said, the pertinent question is "how much"

shorties dont usually buy you that much, long tubes are the real header answer. until we see numbers from GM, or customers get to strap theirs to a dyno, we wont know.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisL
GM isnt that shameless to offer placebos. That being said, the pertinent question is "how much"

shorties dont usually buy you that much, long tubes are the real header answer. until we see numbers from GM, or customers get to strap theirs to a dyno, we wont know.
I agree. The LS engines almost have shorty headers already. I know GM won't offer the long tubes for emission reasons but thats where the power is.
But the LS3 does wake up easily from mods so I'm sure there will be some power added from these mods.

I just like the idea that you can get some real performance options from GM/Dealers instead of the aftermarket. For a vast majority of the casual enthusiasts that will be all they need and it will give them something extra on their cars and keep the money going to GM/dealer than aftermarket. Not to mention the fit and finish should be a lot better than aftermarket.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:45 PM

And that whole "warranty" thing shouldn't be an issue going with the GM Performance parts, right?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I just like the idea that you can get some real performance options from GM/Dealers instead of the aftermarket. For a vast majority of the casual enthusiasts that will be all they need and it will give them something extra on their cars and keep the money going to GM/dealer than aftermarket. Not to mention the fit and finish should be a lot better than aftermarket.
Could not have said it better myself. I will for sure be doing the GM exhaust and intake. If the numbers on the shorty headers are decent and cost is
reasonable, they will be going on as well.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:07 PM

Short headers from the factory... hmmm... how can you NOT like that?

Having installed a few sets of headers I would more than happy to pay a hundred or two plus parts to have them do this at the factory. No skinned knuckles, no missing pieces, no hacking/modding subframes or other ugly parts to get it to fit. Just the fact that it's done without scrapping the paint or my knuckles is enough to warrant the option price... which can be financed on the car loan (which, lets face it, you can NOT get with non-factory mods).

Let's just hope GM survives long enough to get more than one year of the 5th gen out the door before closing up shop.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:08 PM

Even if the headers pull ZERO hp, just the fact that headers give more room to work in the engine bay, and make future mods easier may justify the cost.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Steve in Seattle
Short headers from the factory... hmmm... how can you NOT like that?

Having installed a few sets of headers I would more than happy to pay a hundred or two plus parts to have them do this at the factory. No skinned knuckles, no missing pieces, no hacking/modding subframes or other ugly parts to get it to fit. Just the fact that it's done without scrapping the paint or my knuckles is enough to warrant the option price... which can be financed on the car loan (which, lets face it, you can NOT get with non-factory mods).
They will be dealer installed.