2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Why not a CAMARO museum?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by detltu
Count me in for a donation if we could get this thing started. I think I could do a monthly donation. $10 per month from half the members on this site would be a pretty good start.
Not to come across as a pessimist, but i think to say you're being overly optimistic would be a great understatement.

I'd like to go on record that if I ever win more than $200 million in the lottery, I will start a fund for a Camaro museum.

....neither are too realistic in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a Camaro Museum, but I just don't see it happening. Like I said, I'm a pessimist .
Old 09-25-2008, 03:19 PM

But would it really be necessary to invest in "architects and builders" (at least right away)? I'm thinking lease a small warehouse-type property -- maybe even an old car dealership -- to display the vehicles and "Camaro-mobilia". I know not everyone would donate cash to the cause (I wasn't at the Summit Jason and I feel bad about the small amount of money you received), but if one person were to give a $25 donation, that makes up for four other people who did not right? I don't imagine it would be too difficult to obtain cars for display; I know if I were to receive an invitation to have my vehicle put on national display in a museum-type atmosphere, I would feel honored. Hopefully GM would see some potential and help out as well. A group of volunteers could run the place on a limited schedule.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:27 PM

it would have to be a big *** car dealership. you would be better off buying land and building on it. that way you will have plenty of space for the museum and parking.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
it would have to be a big *** car dealership.
Hey, you gotta start somewhere. There is a small car museum locally (actually there are a few), run by a local businessman, with quite a few cars and displays in an old dealership. I'm trying to conceive this realistically, and it just isn't realistic to think a huge multi-dollar facility would be the first step here.
Forget about the $1,000,000 we need for a minute -- I just thought of our slogan

FIVE GENERATIONS -- ONE DESTINATION
THE NATIONAL CAMARO MUSEUM
SOMEWHERE, U.S.A.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:26 PM

The National Corvette Museum had a very rocky beginning and I think closed down at one point. As Scott said the new person took over and then shortly after the C5 came out. Suddenly there was a lot of buzz and excitement over Corvette. The museum took off with the C5 and has never looked back.
Now they starting a huge expansion of the museum itself, and soon will be constructing a Motorsports park across the interstate for all of there events.

Another huge contribution maker for the NCM is there Corvette raffles, I think they have 4 or 5 a year now. They have some that are $10 with unlimited tickets being sold, and they have others that are $100 raffles with a limit of 1000 tickets, thats $100,000 right there if they sell every ticket Everytime I am down that way I always buy a ticket for the $10 Corvette raffle. The container that holds all the stubs is usually stuffed full of stubs, so this has to be a huge money maker for them. I wonder if they buy the Corvettes at cost or otherwise to be given away or does GM donate them to the museum to given away?
I am on there email list and I always get ticked off when I see the winners of the raffles......Current Corvette owners.....Some of them multiple Corvette owners, its just not fair!

Now may be the time to start a Camaro museum with all the buzz and excitement of the 5th generation car. I'd have to go with Bowling Green as a possible location, maybe even go in with the NCM at start up to share the costs. But the Corvette community is different from our Camaro community and I don't know if a Camaro museum could survive in the same town with Corvette always overshadowing it. And would average tourist devote time to go to both museums. That would be some of the drawbacks. Anyways we should have a dedicated museum/gallery for our community.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:28 AM

Put it in Detroit baby!! Maybe put it in Van Nuys seeing as our beloved F-bodies were once built there. Ok just some random ideas there but I agree. A Camaro museum would be a great thing for our community.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:16 AM

maybe it would be more apporpriate to have it where they are made , so why not canada. i know i know , i hate canada just as much as the next guy(j/k). but that is how corvette has it. you can take the tour of the plant and then go to the museum. sounds good to me. just add a spot by the plant.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:12 PM

I think here in the states somewhere would be better, and yeah, that sounds like a great idea. Maybe it's not realistic, but if someone were serious, could they have some type of survey, or behind the scenes list where people could pledge money, just to see how much could be came up with? I'd be willing to throw in 10 bucks myself, and I don't even have a job at the moment.