2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Irs?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 05:23 PM

Re: Why Irs?!?!?

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
my eagle F1's dont hop at all niether did my comp t/a's - fully stock suspension.

My Eagle F1's (04 Cobra) hopped alot. A big improvment from the 01 Cobra though. Which the 01 was a tad bit worse with wheel hop. Both ride GREAT though.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
Costs money to go fast, but i don't have ot tell you that.

FWIW, there are ford 9" center sections available for the GTO rear if you want easy bolt in bullet proof. There are also now people moving to live axle as they push into the 9s, i think they might be using a kit/parts from Oz. So even though the rear frame wasn't designed for it, apparently it doesn't necessarily need to be a full custom job to do such a thing either. And especially if their is a RWD muscle sedan on the same chassis, within a couple years such kits might even be relatively cost effective.

Of course if it will suck if there is an unimproved CTSv diff in it that needs help just holding stock power. just like the previous fbody, inexcusable to have to spend a couple K off the showroom floor to go racing. If it's solid into the 11s/10s (well at least with upgraded half-shafts and stubs) like the GTO though, IMO it's going to be no skin of the back of 98% of people who will actually race their car, let alone 99.9992% of buyers in general.
I dont' disagree with anything you said. I would only add that it was real nice converting from IRS to a live axle for for a net cost of $0 and a true 2 hour bolt-up installation. Not that its relevant to anything here...just jabbering.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
You're right, it does. But what is wrong with discussing it anyway? The car doesn't even exist yet - but we've been discussing it for years, correct?
All of our discussions were about which one should it have. That question is now answered. If you want to continue to debate it, go ahead, but it's moot now.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:16 PM

IRS, Why because this Camaro has to compete with more than the Mustang and Charger/Challenger this is a global auto market now. GM also isn't the same company it was in 2002, or 1993 when the 4th gen was in service. I know lots of enthusiasts want Solid axle, but not just any one that will handle the power and drag racing potential the 5th Gen Camaro will have. But money needs to be made on this car and instead of using the cheapest and least equiped GM chose (will choose) to use better than needed equipment that it can sell head to head with competitors from Dearborn, Auburn Hills, and abroad. These are street cars first and foremost. If you want to drag race and be anything more serious than some steet playing buy a solid rear axle or get a cheap older race ready car and have at it.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
All of our discussions were about which one should it have. That question is now answered. If you want to continue to debate it, go ahead, but it's moot now.
Well thank you. If the notion hits me, I'll do exactly that. I'm sure you're welcome to not debate it too, if you like.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:25 PM

IRS will benefit the Camaro moreso then it will hurt it. I'm looking forward to have it in there.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
I'm not a NEWBIE

I've been in this forum posting nearly everyday for the past 5 years
I've been in here plenty, I just haven't made a career out of posting in all the 'what if' 'why does this' and when will that' threads.

I'm posting a lot more now, sue me.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by NikiVee
IMHO a solid axle in 2009 for a performance car is just outdated period.
Not if your a ludite, however by the same token so are pushrods - the bottom line however is; if it works it works, and live axles work, just like pushrods.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:59 PM

the first DOHC engine was made in 1912.. it's basically just as old as a pushrod engine..

by contrast.. IRS is probably around 50 years old compared to the solid axle which as been around for more than twice that long
Old 12-10-2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
the first DOHC engine was made in 1912.. it's basically just as old as a pushrod engine..

by contrast.. IRS is probably around 50 years old compared to the solid axle which as been around for more than twice that long
Although you may be correct, it is the perception of the public that matters. Pushrods are generally looked at as old tech, and inferior, as are solid axles. This has only started to change in recent years, since there has been so much positive press surrounding GM's LS engines and Chrysler's Hemis. The new Mustang isn't getting too much bad press for having a solid axle either, and I have yet to read one bad review about the new Mustang GT500, solid axle and all. I am one of the guys who wanted the IRS, and am glad we are getting it, but a solid axle is not crap. If it works, it works.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:00 PM

IMO my impression after looking at the pic and seeing the chassis is, GM wants a nice ride, but also more space in the car, somebody pointed out that an IRS allows more interior space (maybe moot with the front-rear drive) and given the shape of the backlight and roof, they might want to fit 4 people in the car rather than have a vestigel rear seat like the mustang which has more in common with a McLaren F1 when it comes to passengers.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Although you may be correct, it is the perception of the public that matters. Pushrods are generally looked at as old tech, and inferior, as are solid axles.

Sadly this is true, a 2 valve pushrod motor has some nice packaging features and does a good job of managing air and fuel mixture without having to resort to crap like port shutters or the like. The only place they really lose out is with valve motion and maybe port alignment. OHC engines have more potential when it comes to aggressive cam profiles, but IMO that advantage is transparent or non-exsistant in a production (read; not a racing engine) engine.