2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Irs?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 02:03 PM

Re: Why Irs?!?!?

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
There should really be a password to get into this section.

No kidding we settled this talk a year ago.

Now all the newbies want to bring it up
Old 12-09-2005, 02:22 PM

Five pages and no one has gotten it right. Oh, and remember this is a concept and could totally change before introduction.
The reason that this concept is shown with IRS has nothing to do with straight lines verses curves, new verses old, or wether some rag editor likes it or not. But everything to do with cost.
This platform is already in the parts bin and will be used to produce several different models on the same assembly line. In other words you could be standing along side the assembly line and have a small SUV, followed by a Camaro, followed by a Chevelle, all on the same line. With this type of production it is NOT cost effective to redesign the platform for a different rear end layout for each car. So we get the benefit of IRS, without increased cost.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010

No kidding we settled this talk a year ago.

Now all the newbies want to bring it up
I guess there's no need for you to post anymore then?

Old 12-09-2005, 02:57 PM

I guess you guys forgot that the factory TA meant MASSIVE wheel hop in the 4th gens.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:04 PM

Thumbs up Re: Why Irs?!?!?

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
I think its interesting everybody is bringing up the CTS wheelhop problems. If you talk to 1/2 the f-body owners here they will say they had major wheel hop issues.....a whole industry of poly tubular LCAs was based pretty much solely on an F-body wheel hop problem. I do not personally think it is a suspension problem at all but a tire compound/driver problem, as none of the f-bods I've ever owned have ever wheel hopped problematically. But I'm just bringing it up because its not like people don't complain about it with our cars too.

You are most certainly right Chris. Any "street" tire will hop. Easiest fix is to throw on a roadrace or full on slick. The way to cure wheel hop on "street" tires will include a spring and damper valving.

Eagle F1's shared by the 4th Gen and 03-04 Cobra's are pretty sticky and they hop like mad.
What I find ODD is people are sayign the Vette doesnt have wheel hop issues. Where have you been? LOL.

Search for CTSv wheelhop and see what ya find.

Z28Wilson There are ALOT more then 20 Mustangs at a given time at our local dragstrip.

There are a quite a few fast F-bod's religously there too.

FWIW, I was inot flaming ya bud. If it came out that way I do appologize.
When your on the tired side, Its harder to proof read.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by kick Z tail out
I guess there's no need for you to post anymore then?

I'm not a NEWBIE

I've been in this forum posting nearly everyday for the past 5 years
Old 12-09-2005, 03:42 PM

im sure whatever they use, im probably gona get one.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by guesswhoo
Eagle F1's shared by the 4th Gen and 03-04 Cobra's are pretty sticky and they hop like mad.
my eagle F1's dont hop at all niether did my comp t/a's - fully stock suspension.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:03 PM

Thumbs up for the password! LOL

The discussion it moot. The car has IRS.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:15 PM

You're right, it does. But what is wrong with discussing it anyway? The car doesn't even exist yet - but we've been discussing it for years, correct?

On the "hop" thing....I've had 2 Cobras with IRS. Both I swapped to live axles. The difference in the amount and severity of wheel hop is indescribable - there is no comparison. Of course, the Cobra IRS was definately "band-aided", but still, there is a huge difference.

PS...I kindly invite all you "newbie haters" to compare join dates.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Urrwhat??! What do the GTO's and the 'Vettes have for diffs? I'm pretty sure the 'Vette unit is pretty stout, but I don't know what the GTO has? I would LIKE to think GM is gonna put something strong between the driveshaft and the axles this time around?
Not sure what is in the vette, but the GTO has a spicer M80 (great name for a rear huh), which is roughly similar to a dana 44. The stock center section seems to be good into the 11s, might have even been low 10s before BMR blew theirs up.

OTOH, i've read a couple MAGAZINE reviews where they have blown up the stock rear in a CTSv with stock tires with a stock engine. Yes, it is really that bad.

In the pictures of the rear suspension, it looks just like the CTSv diff in a rear suspension also derivtaive of the CTSv
Old 12-09-2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Someone mentioned the aftermarket for fitting a live axle in a future IRS Camaro. I'm sure that will bepossible, but unless the chassis is designed to take a live axle, and a live axle that fits is widely available (like it is and has been with the Mustang), it won't be the cheap proposition.
Costs money to go fast, but i don't have ot tell you that.

FWIW, there are ford 9" center sections available for the GTO rear if you want easy bolt in bullet proof. There are also now people moving to live axle as they push into the 9s, i think they might be using a kit/parts from Oz. So even though the rear frame wasn't designed for it, apparently it doesn't necessarily need to be a full custom job to do such a thing either. And especially if their is a RWD muscle sedan on the same chassis, within a couple years such kits might even be relatively cost effective.

Of course if it will suck if there is an unimproved CTSv diff in it that needs help just holding stock power. just like the previous fbody, inexcusable to have to spend a couple K off the showroom floor to go racing. If it's solid into the 11s/10s (well at least with upgraded half-shafts and stubs) like the GTO though, IMO it's going to be no skin of the back of 98% of people who will actually race their car, let alone 99.9992% of buyers in general.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by guesswhoo
What I find ODD is people are sayign the Vette doesnt have wheel hop issues. Where have you been? LOL.
I know I made a statement in my first post about C5's/C6's posting good times in the 1/4 mile. I did NOT mean to imply that they do this without suffering any effects from wheel hop, but my point was they still manage to get good times out of those cars after overcoming the wheel hop issues. I personally know of a guy with a '99 C5 with a sleeved and stroked LS1 that runs low 9's on spray. AFAIK, he hasn't made any major driveline/suspension mods to the car other than a set of M/T ET Streets on the back and skinnies on the front.

Even live-axle 1st through 3rd-gens suffered their fair share of wheel hop and traction issues. So the 5th-gen IRS will have its bugs to iron out to make them hook up at the track, but I'm sure sticky tires will go a long way to helping that. I'm not too worried about the IRS.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:43 PM

Even though I'm far more concerned about handling then straight line stuff, I'd rather have a solid rear. Why? Weight savings and cost mostly....I'd rather see the new Camaro have an SLA setup up front and a solid axle in the rear versus the MacPherson struts up front with IRS out back. I doesn't make any sense to me that they would go with the IRS for the rear and yet they are too cheap to keep the SLA setup up front, (which from everything I've heard is superior to a MacPherson strut setup)....Whatever though, whatever works, (and the MacPherson strut setup seems to work great for BMW). My main concern is weight...If the new IRS setup weighs alot more than a solid axle would for our application then I say it should stay solid axle...I have no issues with ride quality in my Camaro, if anything it's too soft

BTW: I just saw a thread the other day over at Digital Corvettes...From what those guys are saying the C5's and C6's have pretty bad wheelhop...And apparently in one's guy's case the stock diff couldn't handle it, (car had some motor stuff done, ie: AFR heads)...Now I don't know how credible these people actually are considering that a few of the people on the forum apparently don't know what wheelhop is...It's just something I figured I'd bring up...

Last edited by slayerxxx213; 12-09-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:45 PM

Just thought i'd add since people are discussing the # of people who actually race their cars. Last time i went to the track, there was only 1 new style mustang GT there. OTOH, there were 4 new GTOs including myself, of which mine was the slowest, the rest were running 12s all over 110mph. And the track was packed too. Maybe that's not a typical night, but it did strike me as weird to see GTOs outnumber retro mustangs. There were of course a slew of Fox/SN95 cars

Gross generalization coming up, but....maybe more of these first year mustang buyers (who probably all paid over sticker for their car since they were in short supply for a while) are more in it for the image than performance. OTOH, since the GTO isn't an a image car (after all, the haters will claim it's just an overgrown cavlier/grand am), maybe it's buyers tend more towards enthusiasts. I could be way off base, but i doubt.

Quick Reply: Why Irs?!?!?