2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Irs?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:47 AM

Re: Why Irs?!?!?

Originally Posted by notgetleft
I think everyone shoudl stop worrying about wheel hop and worry about that glass rear from the CTS. If you thought the 7.5" was bad...
Urrwhat??! What do the GTO's and the 'Vettes have for diffs? I'm pretty sure the 'Vette unit is pretty stout, but I don't know what the GTO has? I would LIKE to think GM is gonna put something strong between the driveshaft and the axles this time around?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:55 AM

Very very very very happy it's an IRS.

This is what a modern performance car should have. Period.

For the less than 1% of owners who are hardcore straight-line racers, I'm sure the aftermarket will figure out a way for them to have a solid axle.

Let them pay for it, rather than the 99.X% of us who drive on the street.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:02 AM

I'm happy they are getting IRS, I'm do more AutoXing that drag racing and this is def. a big improvement. I would love to have IRS on my car right now!
Old 12-09-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
I think you got it wrong there. Corvette's are made to handle whereas the Camaro is made to go fast in a straight line.
I hope you're kidding.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:16 AM

maybe we should have an ss with a bigger, torquier engine and a solid axle. the z/28 can have a smaller higher revving v8 and irs
Old 12-09-2005, 11:19 AM

There should really be a password to get into this section.

First off, no one seems to be complaining about the IRS under the Charger, Magnum, and 300C. No one is crying about the IRS under the soon to be Challenger. Why are we comparing the Cobra's IRS to this one? Cobra's IRS was designed for a 25 year old chassis that was designed back in the 60's!!
We are talking about a world class suspension set up, something that will really amaze people when they get in this car and hit teh turns.
For the majority of V6 owners who will probably never take it to the track, IRS will be great. Great handling, great performance and great ride.
To thoes looking for more from there new $30k car then a quick 1320, IRS will also highten the performance and handling.
I belive that the CTS-V problem has been fixed as it seemed the problem was with the majority of 04 CTS-Vs. I have not heard much from 2005 or 2006.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Wait a second, are they using fuel injection on the new Camaro too?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:29 AM

WTF!! I heard dual Holley's and tunnel ram!!
Where is the 396 option? Are they springs mono or mult leaf?
Hope the use the M-22 in there...ROCK CRUSHER!!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by guesswhoo
Z28Wilson. Do you go to the dragstrip much? Mustangs are there by the ton.
Soooo the 15 or 20 Mustangs you see at your local dragstrip on the weekends equates to what percentage of the 200,000 Mustangs sold annually?

Yeah, I expect there to be some growing pains with an IRS'd Camaro. I'm sure there will be some wheel hop issues. But as someone else said, let the die-hard drag racers pay to customize the car to their likes/needs. The (hopefully) 80,000 people that buy V6 Camaros every year are looking for the sporty look and the comfortable daily-driven ride. I'd say the business case is closed.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Prominent Member

I would only ask that people go back and read reviews of the 4th gen Camaro from it's inception until it's hiatus...(I probably have all of them in the basement)....I'd guess that 99% of the articles lambasted Chevy for still having a straight axle under the car.

Can you imagine the horror if Chevy brought the car back from hiatus and it STILL had the live axle?!?! They'd crucify Chevy for it.

Before you mention the Mustang's live axle......the Mustang didn't go on hiatus....there is a difference in perception here.

I can see it now..."The Camaro returns, but it's just like the one that died in the first place. They didn't fix anything.".....
Old 12-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
I would only ask that people go back and read reviews of the 4th gen Camaro from it's inception until it's hiatus...(I probably have all of them in the basement)....I'd guess that 99% of the articles lambasted Chevy for still having a straight axle under the car.

Can you imagine the horror if Chevy brought the car back from hiatus and it STILL had the live axle?!?! They'd crucify Chevy for it.

Before you mention the Mustang's live axle......the Mustang didn't go on hiatus....there is a difference in perception here.

I can see it now..."The Camaro returns, but it's just like the one that died in the first place. They didn't fix anything.".....
Yep.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:21 PM

I bet 99.9% of the reviews for the 2005 Mustang lambasted it for not having an IRS. Somehow, the car manages to stay on the road, or even the racetrack.

That said...and as stated above...and IRS makes a lot of sense to the majority of people, and thus it is no surprise (NOT having it would have been a much bigger surprise). I am most definately a biased drag-race oriented type of person, so it goes without saying that I'd prefer the live axle. I'd also prefer a car that had a curb weight of ~3300 lbs - looks like I'll be SOL on both counts.

Someone mentioned the aftermarket for fitting a live axle in a future IRS Camaro. I'm sure that will bepossible, but unless the chassis is designed to take a live axle, and a live axle that fits is widely available (like it is and has been with the Mustang), it won't be the cheap proposition.

BTW....are pushrods "old technology"? Point: the "old technology" reason is lame and very played - what matters is that WHATEVER is used works like it is supposed to.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I bet 99.9% of the reviews for the 2005 Mustang lambasted it for not having an IRS. Somehow, the car manages to stay on the road, or even the racetrack.

That said...and as stated above...and IRS makes a lot of sense to the majority of people, and thus it is no surprise (NOT having it would have been a much bigger surprise). I am most definately a biased drag-race oriented type of person, so it goes without saying that I'd prefer the live axle. I'd also prefer a car that had a curb weight of ~3300 lbs - looks like I'll be SOL on both counts.

Someone mentioned the aftermarket for fitting a live axle in a future IRS Camaro. I'm sure that will bepossible, but unless the chassis is designed to take a live axle, and a live axle that fits is widely available (like it is and has been with the Mustang), it won't be the cheap proposition.

BTW....are pushrods "old technology"? Point: the "old technology" reason is lame and very played - what matters is that WHATEVER is used works like it is supposed to.

Bob,

I tend to agree with you....with the proper geometry, a live axle can be made to work very well in most conditions....but I still want IRS for it's better handling and ride.

I also have NO problem with pushrods.

By the time the 5th gen hits the ground, the expectations of performance and ride will be even further ahead of the live axle.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:35 PM

Only because everybody expected it to have IRS in 1993. All the rumor/concept articles were talking IRS, and some of them were talking DOHC v6. Its all an expectations game, as it still is today.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:54 PM

Bob,

I tend to agree with you....with the proper geometry, a live axle can be made to work very well in most conditions....but I still want IRS for it's better handling and ride.
Can't argue with your personal preference. I like the live axle for strength, lightweight, and "tuneability". But then again, that's just personal preference.

I also have NO problem with pushrods.
Neither do I. My point was that a well-thoughtout live axle can be just as "modern" and functional as a well-thoughout pushrod engine (aka....the LSx), and thus calling one "ancient technology" inevitably leads to the other wearing the same moniker.

By the time the 5th gen hits the ground, the expectations of performance and ride will be even further ahead of the live axle.
It really doesn't matter - the car will have IRS. Most folks will love it, and the drag racers among us will either hate it, learn to live with it, or both.

Bob

Quick Reply: Why Irs?!?!?