2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Irs?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 04:56 AM

Re: Why Irs?!?!?

With the cat being out of the bag, DO you guys not know that the CTSv guys are having problems with the IRS that the upcoming camaro will have? (Which that IRS will be OLD by the time it comes out.)

Z28Wilson. Do you go to the dragstrip much? Mustangs are there by the ton.

I have a 04 Cobra. And when it comes to driving on a day to day basis, Its great. When you drive it like grandma. But the ride and handling is pretty nice for what the car is.

In time there will be topics on this board "How can I kill the wheelhop?" accept it!

I have read some links of CTSv owners asking the same thing.

Last edited by guesswhoo; 12-09-2005 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
The IRS is something I've actually ACCEPTED with an OPEN MIND . Answer me this: what type of suspension do the C5's and C6's (and their respective Z06's) have?? Thank you, case closed.

Want to keep arguing and tell me they can't hook up at the track? Check out corvetteforum.com sometime, and tell me that C5's and C6's run bad in the 1/4 mile, THEN I'll reconsider my view of the IRS. Oh, and please tell me how many cars outperform the 'Vettes on ROAD COURSES (that don't cost ~$250k +) and again, the case is closed on IRS.

Welcome to the future!

(edit: even "IF" GM put a solid axle in, you know they'd still use 'ol faithful, so there would just be complaints about a ~3-decade-old diff in a brand new car, and it would pi$$ off more people than it would please. Again, case closed.)
what he said
Old 12-09-2005, 06:03 AM

You have options... Mustang with solid axle or Camaro with IRS... now, tell me that decision is so difficult.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:52 AM

I must have missed the Memo:

Federal Law for Sports Cars: (Signed with the onset of these pictures)

1) Thou must go to the drag strip once a month or suffer a fine.

2) Thou must go to a road coarse at least 4 times a year or risk tire deflation.

3) Thou may ONLY buy a sports car if you can satisfy the above requirements else car will be impounded.

Give me a break people only 5% or less actually "race" their cars.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:07 AM

While I understand the frustration of those who will want to drag race, the Camaro needed to go the IRS route. Just about every review of the 4th gen I can think of commented on its "harsh ride". This should fix that, as well as giving some great handling too.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:32 AM

I'm happy that we are getting IRS. I have plans once I get mine to be out at No Problem Raceway near Baton Rouge an taking to the twisties for some ear to ear grin fun
Old 12-09-2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 25THRSS
GM needs to step up to the plate with a stout sold axle rear for the 5th gen.
And for years GM has been told to "step up to the plate" with IRS. Half the complaints about the F-Body in it's last few years were ridiculing it for having a solid rear axle. Let them bring the car back in a form that is going to impress everyone, or it's going to have a short run.

The Vette hasn't been plagued with wheel hop issues.
Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
When a 5th gen kicks its tail out
You'll know who's driving.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by guesswhoo
With the cat being out of the bag, DO you guys not know that the CTSv guys are having problems with the IRS that the upcoming camaro will have? (Which that IRS will be OLD by the time it comes out.)

Z28Wilson. Do you go to the dragstrip much? Mustangs are there by the ton.

I have a 04 Cobra. And when it comes to driving on a day to day basis, Its great. When you drive it like grandma. But the ride and handling is pretty nice for what the car is.

In time there will be topics on this board "How can I kill the wheelhop?" accept it!

I have read some links of CTSv owners asking the same thing.

I think its interesting everybody is bringing up the CTS wheelhop problems. If you talk to 1/2 the f-body owners here they will say they had major wheel hop issues.....a whole industry of poly tubular LCAs was based pretty much solely on an F-body wheel hop problem. I do not personally think it is a suspension problem at all but a tire compound/driver problem, as none of the f-bods I've ever owned have ever wheel hopped problematically. But I'm just bringing it up because its not like people don't complain about it with our cars too.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:41 AM

How wide is the solid rear axle in the new Trailblazer SS?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:53 AM

Why the hell would anyone want a solid axle when they can have IRS? Camaros are supposed to be able to handle, not just go fast in a straight line for 1320 feet.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:14 AM

I think you got it wrong there. Corvette's are made to handle whereas the Camaro is made to go fast in a straight line. As for the overly debated topic, I don't car which one it has as long as there are aftermarket companies out there willing to solve any problems that should arise from them. In the past they both have had their strengths and weaknesses, and there always has been aftermarket companies that sell products to cure those weaknesses. It shouldn't really matter.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:16 AM

Solid axle would be basically unacceptable. GM would be ridiculed for it (even though Ford gets away with it in the new Stang, and yes a solid axle can be fine for 90% of the ride and handling needs). The way the press is these days, GM gets called to task for ANYTHING, even if other companies do the exact same thing.

The fourth gen cars were universally praised for their performance and value (and styling), even handling on smooth roads. But they were almost ALWAYS critized, rightly or not, for having an "old-tech" live axle setup on such an otherwise potent machine. They were forgiven at first because of the value (when they came out, the only cars that were as fast/faster were the Vette/Supra Turbo/RX7 type cars, costing nearly twice as much dough).

I've driven several Vettes (C5 and C6, base and Z06), and I'll happily take an IRS and run with it. Someone will find a way to shoehorn a solid axle under there for the hardcore, gotta-go 9 seconds crowd who spend big $$ on making their cars into drag racers. For the vast majority of buyers though (who will never go to a strip, or may go very rarely), the IRS will be just fine, and will be better in the ride/handling department.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:27 AM

IMHO a solid axle in 2009 for a performance car is just outdated period.

Last edited by NikiVee; 12-09-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:27 AM

Wheelhop can happen with any rear suspension. That's what the aftermarket is for. Stock cars are always going to ba compromise of ride and handling, and i'd expect a car off the showroom floor to favor the former.

I think everyone shoudl stop worrying about wheel hop and worry about that glass rear from the CTS. If you thought the 7.5" was bad...
Old 12-09-2005, 09:39 AM

I'm glad it's going to have IRS, but I don't plan on going to the dragstrip every weekend.

Quick Reply: Why Irs?!?!?