2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Why Irs?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:05 PM

Re: Why Irs?!?!?

Honestly if it's at least strong enough to stand up mild upgrades and track runs without tearing itself up or wheel hopping the car to death, I don't really care... It's the end product that matters, if the IRS is well designed it will yield alot of benefits IMO...
Old 12-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by 91Z-28
I don't recall Camaros of the past having difficulty with handling without IRS.

On the smooth surface of Spring Mountain Park (Bragg-Smith), NV...I'd agree with you...on IRP's rough damn road racing track, I'd have to strongly disagree.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 25THRSS
The previous generation mustang. Ford has gone the solid axle route with the new stang, and I doubt the cobra will have IRS either. GM needs to step up to the plate with a stout sold axle rear for the 5th gen.
Who'd have thought we'd ever hear "GM needs to step up to the plate with a solid axle."
Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 PM

The IRS is something I've actually ACCEPTED with an OPEN MIND . Answer me this: what type of suspension do the C5's and C6's (and their respective Z06's) have?? Thank you, case closed.

Want to keep arguing and tell me they can't hook up at the track? Check out corvetteforum.com sometime, and tell me that C5's and C6's run bad in the 1/4 mile, THEN I'll reconsider my view of the IRS. Oh, and please tell me how many cars outperform the 'Vettes on ROAD COURSES (that don't cost ~$250k +) and again, the case is closed on IRS.

Welcome to the future!

(edit: even "IF" GM put a solid axle in, you know they'd still use 'ol faithful, so there would just be complaints about a ~3-decade-old diff in a brand new car, and it would pi$$ off more people than it would please. Again, case closed.)

Last edited by Capn Pete; 12-08-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
The IRS is something I've actually ACCEPTED with an OPEN MIND . Answer me this: what type of suspension do the C5's and C6's (and their respective Z06's) have?? Thank you, case closed.

Want to keep arguing and tell me they can't hook up at the track? Check out corvetteforum.com sometime, and tell me that C5's and C6's run bad in the 1/4 mile, THEN I'll reconsider my view of the IRS. Oh, and please tell me how many cars outperform the 'Vettes on ROAD COURSES (that don't cost ~$250k +) and again, the case is closed on IRS.

Welcome to the future!

(edit: even "IF" GM put a solid axle in, you know they'd still use 'ol faithful, so there would just be complaints about a ~3-decade-old diff in a brand new car, and it would pi$$ off more people than it would please. Again, case closed.)

Amen, brother!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:40 PM

The End.

Now back to the Z28 vs SS debate
Old 12-08-2005, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
On the smooth surface of Spring Mountain Park (Bragg-Smith), NV...I'd agree with you...on IRP's rough damn road racing track, I'd have to strongly disagree.
The "percentage of people that drag race" statement used above could also be used here - and it would be just as relevant.

That said, IRS makes a lot of sense from GM's perspective. Personally, I have no use for it and wouldn't want it (throw the "stone age" comments are at me or my live axle all you want - it makes no difference to me).

FYI...Mustang will likely have IRS by the time Camaro comes out.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
The End.

Now back to the Z28 vs SS debate
No debate, one is SUPER and one is defined by a slash, end of story!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
Who'd have thought we'd ever hear "GM needs to step up to the plate with a solid axle."

i dont think IRS will be a problem either AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO WHEEL HOP ISSUES. camaros have and always will burn rubber. When a 5th gen kicks its tail out, the tires had better be in contact with the ground and smoking - not hoppin up and down like a monster truck taking a whoop-dee-do section
Old 12-08-2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ed 2001 SS
I disagree. The VAST majority of the cars will be used on the streets. I suspect the aftermarket will fill a need for a solid axle if the market demands it. The driving refinement that an IRS will provide will do worlds of good for this car.
If it was comfort and ride quality buyers were after, I doubt the camaro, or any pony car for that matter, would be their first choice. Maybe the majority of drivers don't drag race every week, but I'de venture to say that the ability to launch is rather important to most. A sold axle rear would most likely cut down on cost as well. If it's done right, the handling will not suffer like most believe, and to be honest 99% of drivers will never take the car to the limit around corners like they will in a straight line. Install a decent sold axle, not the 7.5/7.625 10 bolt crap, and you have a real winner. From the looks of it, the chassi closely resembles that of the CTSV, and I think we all know how well the IRS handles a good launch.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:10 PM

You just can't reach some people.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010

You just can't reach some people.
I know what you mean.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by 25THRSS
I know what you mean.
I was talking about you
Old 12-09-2005, 12:04 AM

I'm sure the aftermarket will step up with something.

On another note of the rear, and front suspension, can anyone make out the under pinnings will look like? I couldn't really make it out, as far as upper/lowers, SA/LA.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by mastrdrver
I'm sure the aftermarket will step up with something.

On another note of the rear, and front suspension, can anyone make out the under pinnings will look like? I couldn't really make it out, as far as upper/lowers, SA/LA.
Macpherson Struts.

Quick Reply: Why Irs?!?!?