2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why was the image removed from the front page of the site?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Admin Emeritus

Why was the image removed from the front page of the site?

Per an indirect request from General Motors, we have removed the leaked image of the 2009 Camaro concept from the front page of this site.

Once the images were leaked and spread like wildfire, we had the understanding that the damage was done and released our image.

We recently just received indirect word that GM still does not wish to have their copyrighted intellectual property on display at this time, even if the intentions are for GM's benefit. We have no problems complying with requests such as this as we understand that the images are property of GM, and not ours.

We apologize and ask that you please understand the reasoning behind this.

Rest assured that as soon as we are authorized to release more information, we will!
Old 12-09-2005, 10:11 AM

Re: Why was the image removed from the front page of the site?

I got the same email, and likewise complied. Undoubtedly some folks will be mad but its not worth risking you relationships with Scott & GM.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Prominent Member

Wow....what a damned mess....

THIS is why GM demands that all websites that have a relationship with them comply with embargoes...it really puts GM in a bad spot when they are forced to clean up the mess.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:35 AM

Thumbs down Re: Why was the image removed from the front page of the site?

This only solidifies my disloyalty to GM. Until the Firebird returns (I won't hold my breath), myself or anyone in my family will ever buy another GM product again.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Wow....what a damned mess....

THIS is why GM demands that all websites that have a relationship with them comply with embargoes...it really puts GM in a bad spot when they are forced to clean up the mess.
And make NO mistake...we will NEVER release ANYTHING unless we feel that we are SURE that it is okay to do so.

As I mentioned...when we released our image, we had an "off-the-record" understanding that the damage had already been done and at that point, our actions would do no additional harm. We were thinking that it would work the situation to an advantage, but there were obviously some mixed signals about this issue over the past few days.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Skull Leader
This only solidifies my disloyalty to GM. Until the Firebird returns (I won't hold my breath), myself or anyone in my family will ever buy another GM product again.
I see that a lot but never makes sense to me. It is their intellectual property, they can do as they wish with it. Why would them wanting to keep their private documents and designs private have any bearing on brand loyalty or what car you buy?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:50 AM

Lightbulb Re: Why was the image removed from the front page of the site?

Because they're a company. They don't care about the enthusiast. The only reason they'd bring back the Camaro is because RETRO is the trend right now. Why should I buy products from someone when they've shunned me before?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by JasonD
And make NO mistake...we will NEVER release ANYTHING unless we feel that we are SURE that it is okay to do so.

As I mentioned...when we released our image, we were under a "semi-unoffical" understanding that the damage had already been done and at that point, our actions would do no additional harm. We were thinking that it would work the situation to an advantage, but there were obviously some mixed signals about this issue over the past few days.
If all website were like this one, there wouldn't have been this mess.

Thanks for all you do Jason & Chris!!
Old 12-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Admin Emeritus

Because they're a company. They don't care about the enthusiast. The only reason they'd bring back the Camaro is because RETRO is the trend right now. Why should I buy products from someone when they've shunned me before?
Good grief. This old bit again?

I think you have an incorrect perception on things. What car maker isn't a company? What does them wanting to keep internal information private have to do with the enthusiast? That's smart business and no company would survive if they didn't take care of themselves like that.

If you think the whole retro thing is the reason why they are working to bring the car back, you need to take a look at other things. We have been saying for YEARS that many people inside GM want to bring the car back, the Save the F-Body Page has hundreds of thousands of entries. That DID change things, and that came from the enthusiasts.

If you honestly feel that way, sell your GM cars and buy a Ford or Chrysler or whatever. I don't even see what any of this has to do with the topic of this thread and you didn't answer any of my questions. There's TONS of other non-GM sites out there, find one and make some new friends that share the same thoughts. Complaining like that won't do anyone any good.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
I see that a lot but never makes sense to me. It is their intellectual property, they can do as they wish with it. Why would them wanting to keep their private documents and designs private have any bearing on brand loyalty or what car you buy?
Jason,
I understand that there is some frustration within the community about what has happened to the Z and I guess that explains some of that type of attittude but ultimately its GM's property, (enthusiast or not) so its THEIR call. Period. If its someones propety then its someones property and no amount of excuses changes that. They should not have been released without proper authority period.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:05 AM

This has to be the most retarded thing I've ever heard on a forum.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by gmcvt
Jason,
I understand that there is some frustration within the community about what has happened to the Z and I guess that explains some of that type of attittude but ultimately its GM's property, (enthusiast or not) so its THEIR call. Period. If its someones propety then its someones property and no amount of excuses changes that. They should not have been released without proper authority period.
Yeah, that is kinda what I was saying...did you really mean to quote me?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:12 AM

Well, even the outline looks sexy :P.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:12 AM

It's cool the images are all over other board now so I think people that haven't seen them shouldn't have any problem finding them.

I wonder though what would happen if you posted the pics and GM threatened that it was their property and you took it all the way to the courts
"OK show me the prototype to prove it's a picture of yours"
Old 12-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
It's cool the images are all over other board now so I think people that haven't seen them shouldn't have any problem finding them.
Very true.

I wonder though what would happen if you posted the pics and GM threatened that it was their property and you took it all the way to the courts
"OK show me the prototype to prove it's a picture of yours"
Heh...I wouldn't want to burn that bridge. This site and GM have a pretty decent relationship, and I wouldn't want to jeopardize that. If I feel they don't want them out there and/or on this site, I have no problems following along. What happens on other sites is out of my control. They can take their chances, I have no desire to.

Quick Reply: Why was the image removed from the front page of the site?