2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Why can't dealers get their information straight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 04:35 PM

I was reffering to EVS also known as corvetteconti. Also a buddy of mine bought his vette from Tim at Boardwalk Chevy and he says he will never go anywhere else. Both of these dealers post their prices routinely and are car guys so I will be talking to them. When looking at sales tax EVS has an advantage because they only have to charge your home state sales tax rate. Boardwalk is in CA which is not quite as friendly.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
I was reffering to EVS also known as corvetteconti. Also a buddy of mine bought his vette from Tim at Boardwalk Chevy and he says he will never go anywhere else. Both of these dealers post their prices routinely and are car guys so I will be talking to them. When looking at sales tax EVS has an advantage because they only have to charge your home state sales tax rate. Boardwalk is in CA which is not quite as friendly.
Tim is great guy as well, never dealt with him but I am on Corvette Forum everyday and people have nothing but great things to say about him and Boardwalk. Conti is good guy as well, kind of a little arrogant but he really cares about people and not just making a sale. The only problem with out of state purchases is that you either have to it shipped to your home (expensive), or do a courtesy delivery, but that involves convincing a local dealer to accept the delivery of the car (Just don't trust a dealer handling a car that you purchased from another dealer).
Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by msgZ28
Okay, everyone's saying, "well, they're salesmen, not car people." So what? If I was selling something, I would want to know at least the basics about the product so that I could then, you know, sell it (like with Pruettfan's GTO). I understand that not every salesman is going to know every upcoming product, but surely a manager or someone does know about future products. How else do they plan future operations and commercials and stuff. It's not like there's 50 new products a week for a Chevy dealer. Is it so much to ask that one person keeps tabs on new stuff and then all calls/visits about the Camaro or what have you can get referred to him? I've never run a business, let alone a car dealership, so maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like common sense.
You are missing quite a few things.

First, like has been repeated, dealers are concerned about what they can actually sell or order. It makes no sense on a professional basis to know about something before a customer can place an order. No so much because it places money in your pocket but because you don't have a flood of questions coming in from customers about it. Someone here said it best: We're part of the "Lunitic Fringe".

Second, also like has been said, information isn't official till the car comes out. Things change. Complaining that a salesman doesn't know the what colors a Camaro will be offered in 6 months before the car shows up in showrooms is ludicrous. Plenty of things we know now will change. Even the brand of tires on a car can change during the course of a model year.

Finally, although this will probably come as a total shock to you, Camaro isn't that earthshattering for the dealer. There are between 4,000 and 5000 Chevrolet dealers in the US. The last Camaro that rolled their way averaged only 6 cars per year per dealership in sales. Compared to a Silverado or even a Cobalt, that's miniscule. Even if the next Camaro runs 75K per year production & sales, that's 14 average per dealer. Impala moves 3 times as much and even today that dealer sells 10 times more pickup trucks.

Sales people see Camaro as showroom traffic builders (which in effect, they are) but their bread & butter is pushing loaded Malibus, Cobalts, & Impalas let alone Tahoes, Silverados, and Equinoxs.

Sales people do have to pass through training on each new vehicle coming up. My son went through one with the new Chrysler minivans when they came out. He can also tell you things about the 300 that you in no way knew. The reason they go through that training is to help close the sale. There's always a ton of things about a new car the customer didn't know that can be brought out at the last minute to seal the deal.

But don't be hard on the guys for not knowing detailed info on a car they can't even order yet. If you want real information, you need to go to enthusiasts sites. No information out there is going to compare.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:37 PM

The comments about the deposits on orders are off. As a dealer, you want money down on a order and, if possible, as signed contract to state a bona fide sold order. I really wonder about those of you that want and demand things from your dealer but when it comes to securing the order and showing you are legit (unless you have a very well-established relationship in buying) don't want to put a dime down. With people (and some have even talked about it on here) putting in multiple orders, it adds credence to your being a real buyer if you are willing to show it. I don't know how anyone would ever trust you if you haven't had a relationship with them and then you want to order a $20-$35k car, with specific options, color combos, etc. and not give them anything. That's not right to expect. You can chastise the dealers for certain practices, but if there is an order slot for production car they have every reason to want to sell to a legitimate buyer. You as a consumer have every right to expect a knowledgeable salesperson selliing at a fair price and they in turn should expect someone who sees value in the service they are providing and be willing to pay for it. If you can't part with $500/$1000 to put the order in that calls your ablity to purchase in question. Many times a dealer doesn't (or can't depending on the state) run credit on a order out and the deposit money speaks volumes about the prospective buyer's financial situation. Just some more food for thought at the buffet here.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jacoz35thSS
The comments about the deposits on orders are off. As a dealer, you want money down on a order and, if possible, as signed contract to state a bona fide sold order. I really wonder about those of you that want and demand things from your dealer but when it comes to securing the order and showing you are legit (unless you have a very well-established relationship in buying) don't want to put a dime down. With people (and some have even talked about it on here) putting in multiple orders, it adds credence to your being a real buyer if you are willing to show it. I don't know how anyone would ever trust you if you haven't had a relationship with them and then you want to order a $20-$35k car, with specific options, color combos, etc. and not give them anything. That's not right to expect. You can chastise the dealers for certain practices, but if there is an order slot for production car they have every reason to want to sell to a legitimate buyer. You as a consumer have every right to expect a knowledgeable salesperson selliing at a fair price and they in turn should expect someone who sees value in the service they are providing and be willing to pay for it. If you can't part with $500/$1000 to put the order in that calls your ablity to purchase in question. Many times a dealer doesn't (or can't depending on the state) run credit on a order out and the deposit money speaks volumes about the prospective buyer's financial situation. Just some more food for thought at the buffet here.

It must depend on the dealer. Wifey and I have ordered 5 cars over the last 10 years, and haven't put a dime down for a deposit on any of them, nor were we asked to. 5 different dealerships too.